Honored Contributor

Re: Age at joint replacement surgery?

I don't think there is an average age.  I've seen joint replacements done on patients of all ages.  You see knees done on 35 and 40 year olds have damaged their knees by running on hard surfaces for many years or engaging in contact sports.  I believe the medical thinking now is that sooner is better than later.  If a 50 year old has severe osteoarthritis and is in pain, why wait for further damage?  It has to be done, it might as well be now.  To be honest, my rheumatologist says I'm no where near needing knee replacement but since I depend on cortisone injections every 3 or 4 months for pain relief....and since the arthritis is significant....I'm going to get a consult with an orthopedic surgeon.  I'd rather have the surgery in a year or so than have it 10 years from now. 

Honored Contributor

@Princesswife

As my osteoarthritis worsened in my 40's, (1995+) I was told repeatedly by the medical doctor who was treating me, that I was too young to be considered for joint replacement.  

I knew from working in a hospital environment, that in that time period, orthopedic surgeons were not doing surgeries on patients under the age of 60.   The general feeling was the joints would wear out, and patients would require a second joint replacement in their lifetime, so the goal was to hold off on surgery as long as possible.   

I now realize that physicians attitude played a part in my 13 years of suffering.  I wasn't mentally ready for surgery, but because he was telling me I couldn't have anything done anyway, I continued to suffer as each treatment option failed, and put myself at risk for almost waiting too long.   When that physician left the area, my new physician urged me to see an orthopedic surgeon, and stressed the fact opinions had changed, and age was no longer keeping patients from a surgery that would improve their life.    

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop Yes the pain at times is horrible getting out of bed sometimes takes me an hour.i will now look into an orthopedic surgeon thanks for the tip.

Honored Contributor

I was thirty five when I had my left knee replaced. It's been working well for twenty two plus years now. Hemophilic arthropathy had destroyed the knee, so I had no real choice. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I had both knees replaced within 9 months of each other at age 51.  Hope they last!!!  LOL!!!!

Valued Contributor

I was 63 when I had my hip replaced. I had suffered enough for 3 years. When I could no longer go shopping, I had to do something...lol. My son was 45 when he had his done. After 6 months of getting it done, he was in worse pain than before. They had done the anterior approach, like I had done, but come to find out, they used an inferior replacement and it was too small. They had to do a revision on his...the old way, where the cut you from the side and back area. He was off work for 12 weeks. Poor guy has been in so much pain, but he finally is getting back to normal. He even went to the driving range last weekend! I had absolutely no pain at all after my surgery. I wish he didn't have to go through all that pain and suffering. He also has more limitations now. I have none. Every situation is different.

Respected Contributor

Hip replacement at 54....

Respected Contributor

OP here, and I want to thank you all for responding. I find this very interesting. As I said earlier, I am 60 years old. I've been getting those arthritis bumps, for lack of a better word, in the joints of my fingers. They've been coming on for a number of years but now they are really getting noticeable/BIG. Hate them! I've also been diagnosed with trigger thumb and carpal tunnel. My hands have really had their fair share of issues as of late. I'm also having some minor problems with my knee. It got really bad the beginning of last year so that's when I saw an orthopedic surgeon. I do not have bone on bone or anything. I have a baker's cyst and some assorted miniscus problems. I may need to have arthroscopic surgery at some point, but right now I'm doing pretty well with my knee...much, much better then last year.

Anyway, I guess I count myself lucky that I haven't had to have any ortho surgeries thus far. It does sorta seem like people are "wearing out" quicker then maybe they once did. And arthritis is such a terrible problem for soooooo many people. Wish they could find something that would be a major break through in the treatment of this disease. I know my dear father and mother-in-law suffered greatly with it. And I can't help but look into the future and see myself in their shoes. Oh well, I'll just lace them up tight and wear them when the time comes. Ha!!!

I'm rambling now. I'll close by saying again how much I appreciate all the responses. Wishing the best of health to you ALL!

pup

Trusted Contributor

Hoosie, may I ask what kind of supplements do you take?  I know knee replacement is in my future but I'd like to put it off for awhile.  My doctor told me to take glucosomine but when I researched it found it was comprised of shell fish, which I may or may not be allergic to, depending on the doctor I ask.  Some years ago I had a CT scan and had a reaction to the contrast dye so have been afraid to eat shellfish since, though I had eaten it for many years prior to the CT scan with no problems.  Guess I am just weird lol.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was 63 when I had both hips replaced.  I have very bad osteoarthritis and am now looking at surgery on my left shoulder and both hands....sigh.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~