Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sfnative  These people like your DH who are needle-phobic apparently don't know that now they use tiny, thin needles that you can scarcely feel.  I get quarterly blood tests and the tech uses a baby needle and I can't feel it at all. 

@Kachina624, no baby needles used on my blood draws :-(

I really, really need to remember to drink a LOT of water the day before I need to get drawn (and it's coming up). The last couple of times they've had a very hard time, and I know that's the reason. PITA.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Ask the tech if she/he will use a baby needle.  You don't even feel it.  The woman at the lab I go to is so well trained after years of me, she knows which arm and exactly where on the arm. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Moonchilde  Ask the tech if she/he will use a baby needle.  You don't even feel it.  The woman at the lab I go to is so well trained after years of me, she knows which arm and exactly where on the arm. 

@Kachina624, those at my lab (on-site at the huge medical group) are just adequate :-( But my issue is they have trouble getting a good vein or much to come out :-( I'm hoping the increased hydration will help. If it doesn't, I have a worse issue. My mother went through he** having blood drawn. I may have inherited her kwappy veins - although I was fine when younger. They used butterfly needles, peds needles etc on her and she was still a bear for the techs.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Aftermath of shingles

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

To think people would rather risk ending up in this shape rather than get a pinprick of a shot that might have prevented it.  These poor people probably got shingles before the immunization was available.  I wouldn't risk going through this and ruining my life for anything. 

@Kachina624

I couldn't agree with you more.  Received my injection as soon as it was made available and I could arrange to get time off from work.  My husband refuses the stick.  He hates needles and has fainted on previous occasions.  I get it.  However, I've told him if he gets shingles and could have prevented it or had a much lighter case through having had the injection, he's going to not only kick himself, but quite likely be in major pain for years or the remainder of his life.  He just won't get it.  And this guy has an IQ of 161.

@sfnative

I used to be very embarrassed by this until I found out there's a name for it .... Vasovagal Syndrome .....  fainting from shots, drawing blood, etc.   I've had this all my life.   

Well, what works for me is to always get any shots in my butt cheek .... NOT my arm.   Tell your hubby to look this legitimate reaction up ..... and that, for many, a quick shot in the butt will do the trick .... no fainting or dizziness.  

At the very least, hopefully he'll try this for the shingles shot.   It's worth "giving it a shot" .... ha ha ha ha ha   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I truly believe every single person should have the right to make up their own mind whether to take any medical product, or not.  I also think they should be privvy to as much information on the matter before making their final decision to take, or not to take, that product.

There is a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer of Zostavax.  Google "Zostavax class action lawsuit" to find it.  No. I am not in any way connected to this lawsuit.  I merely want to make people aware that it exists.  Everyone should weigh the pros and cons, as individuals, for themselves, and perform their own risk versus benefit analysis, or benefit versus risk analysis, depending upon their personal perspective.  That way the decision they make will truly be the right one for them, and they will be happy that they made it.  

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned what this was about, or at least what zostavax is.    

I think most people are well aware that some people can have a negative reaction to even the most innocuous drugs ... like baby aspirin or ...  whatever.  

If one person in a million has a negative reaction to the (fill in the blank) drug, and the other 999,999 people still benefit greatly  ....  those are pretty good odds, IMO.

Super Contributor

Re: Aftermath of shingles

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born wrote:

I truly believe every single person should have the right to make up their own mind whether to take any medical product, or not.  I also think they should be privvy to as much information on the matter before making their final decision to take, or not to take, that product.

There is a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer of Zostavax.  Google "Zostavax class action lawsuit" to find it.  No. I am not in any way connected to this lawsuit.  I merely want to make people aware that it exists.  Everyone should weigh the pros and cons, as individuals, for themselves, and perform their own risk versus benefit analysis, or benefit versus risk analysis, depending upon their personal perspective.  That way the decision they make will truly be the right one for them, and they will be happy that they made it.  

Anybody can file a lawsuit. Doesn't mean it's based on reality. Law firms go looking for people to join class action lawsuits against anything and anyone.

Google search and find them against just about every drug, every company, even homeopathic concoctions and products like WEN.

Google "fillintheblank class action lawsuit" to see. Law firms look for deep pockets like drug companies and expect (plan) for fat settlements even if claims are unsupportable knowing the company will spend less by settling.

No one is forced to get this vaccine. We already have a right to choose. Agree w informed decisions but they're not best made by believing anonymous posters on random chat sites or quacks promoting their own products and services. Take it ALL with a huge grain of salt. Some seriously dumb & dangerous medical and health advice online. Just like phone and email scams there's always a naive someone who falls for them which is why they exist.

Regular Contributor

Seems like he has tried everything, perhaps he can get some relief from accupuncture or hypnosis.

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

To think people would rather risk ending up in this shape rather than get a pinprick of a shot that might have prevented it.  These poor people probably got shingles before the immunization was available.  I wouldn't risk going through this and ruining my life for anything. 

The injection probably was not around for people in their 80's and 90's but there is no reason for anyone to risk getting shingles now when it can be prevented with just simple injection.  Sure, a tiny minority of people do get shingles after the shot but when they do it's very mild and doesn't last long.  Some people do opt to take their chances..good luck to them.  At 66, I take advantage of every single protection that medical science has given us. 

Regular Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

Individuals with autoimmune diseases cannot take this shot because it is a live virus.  So not everyone can have the ability to prevent shingles.

I'm sure it depends on what AI disease a person has, they aren't all created equal.  I think in discussions like this, the assumption always is that we are only talking about people who medically are able to have the shot.