Respected Contributor

Re: After listening to the news about the CV..........

i had to renew my drivers license yesterday and the eye chart reader only works by pushing your face up against a square button that you push with your forehead!  why do they use this sort of device??  so risky with all the germs around.

i asked the clerk if she had something to wipe it down with. the place had been so busy with dozens of people taking turns.

she gave me 2 packets of an alcohol wipe. wiped it down and it was still wet. ugh. then i used the other one on my face after i got in the car. when i got home i washed my face again.

someone might have come in there not sick but incubating some bug!     

Honored Contributor

The hysteria is getting out of control. As I had surmised yesterday on another thread, most of the deaths are the elderly and those whose health is compromised. (source: LAT).

Also, this virus is no more and maybe even less dangerous than the flu we are battling here.

Also, it is less severe than was SARS, which btw affected only eight people in the U.S.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Because I think running around wearing a mask ,looks  dorky ,and it only panics people more. I certainly hope people watch what they are saying around children. They will be scared to death

We had the most handsome waiter today you could ever want to see. He is Amerasian(sp). He was talking about CV and the people in the area. He was just as calm as could be . Hysteria always makes things worse. FDR said it best, the only thing we have to fear is, fear itself..People have blown this up all out of proportion

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 @I think most of us here are elderly so we could have more difficulties recovering.Not to mention the financial costs of getting really sick.

Honored Contributor

We have 2 suspected cases in my county. We have a large international population and people travel a great deal too Everyone was calm at the restaurant we ate our lunch at today. The business was busy. We will be attending mass tonight as per usual. Tomorrow we intend going to our gym

I was being facetious when I said I don't expect to survive it, just to show how dumb all of this sounds

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Health officials are closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (termed “2019-nCoV”) that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China and which continues to expand. As of 1/24, two cases have been confirmed in the United States. No cases have been confirmed in Michigan, but there are three suspect cases in the state, including two in xxxxxxxxxxx County. Specimens from these local individuals are being tested at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Given the number of specimens being tested nationally, no specific turnaround time is available, but results are expected within several days. 

All cases being investigated in Michigan have presented with mild illness. All individuals are currently isolated, pending test results. In xxxxxxx County, we are monitoring these individuals and any household contacts for fevers or additional symptoms twice per day.

Advertisement

Anyone who has traveled to China in the last 14 days and has symptoms of respiratory illness should seek medical care. Please contact your health care provider by phone before going to their office or to an urgent care or hospital. 

It is unclear how easily the virus is spreading between people at this time. Signs and symptoms of this illness include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. The most up-to-date information on the situation is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html.

Honored Contributor

As of Jan 24th there is only one test for the CV virus and it's done at the CDC lab in Atlanta. So it could take some time to confirm any new cases as they happen. At present it is still not clear how the virus is contracted. All the CDC knows for sure is that it is transmitted from person to person and not from any animals to humans. The CDC does not know how sustainable this virus is as it travels from person to person. They also do not know how viable the virus is on surfaces after being in contact with an infected person. 

Let's hope the virus is evolving in a direction where it is weakening and becoming less virulent and not so harmful.

Honored Contributor

Mass was packed tonight. It was filled with kiddies and old people, the very sort that would be kept at home, if people felt they were in any danger at all

In fact there was going to be another gathering tonight, which we missed because we are still both sore from the gym workout  we got on Thursday. On top of that only 3 of us showed up for the pantry,all the other people are away. If we felt better we would have gone back to church again. I am not afraid, and neither is anyone I know

People have known about the 2  possible cases of CV for a day or two. NO one is panicking

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I feel we should wear masks when we go out or just not go out. I think it is very scary.

@Group 5 minus 1 

My plan is to live my life as usual, which includes going out without wearing a mask. Is that s risk? Compared to other risks in living everyday life, I see it as a minute' risk. I am too old to worry about every risk in just living my life.

To this I say my oft said statement:

"To each be their own"!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just heard on our local news about a person near Denver who has been placed into quarantine because this person travels regularly to Wuhan. Officials have sent a sample, blood I think, to the CDC for testing. The news report said the testing takes several days to complete. They did not say if this person was ill or not. Just that the person was in quarantine. 

I wonder how long it takes a person to become infectious after they contract the virus?