Honored Contributor

Re: After listening to the news about the CV..........

Some years ago when the bird flu epidemic was raging, I went to a crisis lecture.  Among other things, the speaker said the best thing most of us could and should do is to keep our hands washed.  He also recommended pushing public doors open with an elbow instead of our clean fingers and if that wasn't possible, use a piece of paper towel to maneuver doors.

This virus seems even scarier, but at the very least I'm washing my hands frequently whenever I'm out of my own home and often even right here at home.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

There's already 2 known cases here in the US.

IN THE US?

Two people in the US have been confirmed to have caught the coronavirus – a man near Seattle, Washington, and a woman in Chicago, Illinois. 

The man, who is in his 30s, is in hospital in Washington state, close to Seattle, and recovering well.

Authorities are also monitoring 43 people with whom he is believed to have been in close contact before he was diagnosed five days after returning home from Wuhan.

The Chicago woman, who is in her 60s, returned from Wuhan on January 13.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is also testing another 63 possible cases in 22 states. 

There are 10 people in California being held in isolation while they wait for test results, CBS News reports, as well as a Texas A&M student who had visited Wuhan and a student at Tennessee Tech.  

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I've decided I'm not going out unless I absolutely have to, just because of winter germs in general.

I am going to do the same, amazing how some people have such a flippant attitude. Yet, they come out here and post about their acute and chronic health issues.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

I'm with you, DH has an auto-immune disease, he can't afford to take a chance.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

If I get  CV I doubt I will recover, I am not worried about it. I am only speaking for me. I am not afraid ,and I refuse to let fear rule my life

Trusted Contributor

I will treat this like any flu season:

Be mindful to not touch eyes, nose, mouth when out in public 

Wash hands after being in public and just more often in general 

Try to avoid large crowds of people in confined areas.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am going to live my life just like I always have. When my number is up I will die. I am not going to run from something that may never happen

I could get killed crossing the street, I still cross streets

@cherry    Here in Seattle people are being shot to death in the streets... but people are still shopping....    we have two cases of this virus already here in Seattle as well....this Virus scare will come and go.... and there will be another one to take its place.... I am not going to quit going out or wear a mask.  People get so bent out of shape and over dramatic. 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely @SeaMaiden  they are torturing themselves with fearing something that may never happen.. I enjoy my life. People are dependant upon me, that need help ,and I  intend to keep on doing what I  can do, and enjoy doing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nine years ago I was getting chemo and well remember the oncologist spiel about continuously washing my hands - to avoid any infection.   It's something I've long continued into remission and I believe it's why I'm often not sick when family members are.    

I'm not stopping my life by staying in if I have to get groceries, gas up the car, etc. however, I live in an over 55 community that often has lectures in the clubhouse.  I often avoid inside gatherings during this time of the year bc the clubhouse meeting room is too small for the number of ppl living here and often a room is crowded with people sitting what feels like on top of each other - I consider it a perfect storm for passing on anything contagious!  For those times, we have the option of visiting a community webpage that they usually have a summarization of the lecture along with attached handouts which I'm sure is not the same as being there but better than nothing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

If I get  CV I doubt I will recover, I am not worried about it. I am only speaking for me. I am not afraid ,and I refuse to let fear rule my life

The thing is, you eat right ,go to the doctor, all those things ,why not i see no running away,by wearing a mask.  I came down with somethig,  and i am so carefull, wash hands ,carry wipes ,use them,clean ,phone, door handles ,keys ,i even wear plastic gloves to fill up with gas,i still got sick.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.