Respected Contributor

Re: After holidays I will need a re-boot and a kick in the you know what!

I found the only diet that lowers my cholesterol is a nearly vegan diet.  In the beginning I watched a lot of YouTube videos for meal ideas.  I stick to a vegan diet mainly but if there is a special occasion like a birthday or holiday I might cheat a bit.   I also use the chronometer online to log my meals to make sure I get the proper nutrients.  My cholesterol is now in the normal range. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only read the first page of replies and will go back to read the rest. 

I agree with another poster about starting now....or as soon as you really can!  In the past I would wait until.....fill in the blank.  There is always going to be a holiday, birthday or some sort of celebration that includes food.

I myself started to go low carb the beginning of November knowing that the holidays would be upon us very soon.

I stuck to it but did allow myself a piece of apple pie, stuffing & cranberry sauce on the day of Thanksgiving but went right back to my low carb way of eating the very next day.

I watch what I eat and try to eat nuts, cheese or avocados if I must snack.  I also eat two meals a day....noon and dinner time.  So far this is working for me.

Yes Christmas will be a bit of a challenge since we are hosting family and there will be sweets.  I will let myself enjoy Christmas but will remove all temptation from the house after Christmas by having some take home the goodies and anything that is left behind I will just throw out.  (My DH doesn't eat sweets and DS can take it or leave it.)

For me the driving force is to lose some weight and be healthier.  So far I am losing about a pound a week. My DD also got engaged in Oct and the wedding will be over Memorial weekend next year so I have a goal that I will be aiming for by that time though I will continue on the path of healthier eating after the event.

It's been a lot of stop & go for me but I believe that once you make up your mind to do it you can!

Esteemed Contributor

Well this was a very interesting read.  You all have great ideas and advice on so many subjects.  I am guilty too of spoiling myself with wine every night with dinner, that is  my biggest downfall.  I really don't eat that much, sometimes I think maybe not enough.

I am not a real snack person either.  We do eat fairly healthy most of the time and we work out several days a week.  I could also lose 10 pounds at least but actually haven't tried very hard.  Reading this has inspired me though.  I walk a lot outside, do the treadmill on bad weather days and I enjoy Leslie Sansone "walk at home" dvd's.  Don't lose any weight though because it's back to that spoiled factor!   

Good luck to everyone in your efforts!

Esteemed Contributor

My recs- don't keep snacks in the house, invest in a pair of 3lb dumbells, and do floor exercises which work on your core.  There are loads of examples on youtube.

A personal trainer for 30 days is a great way to get started. They can come to your home.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

You know what I've discovered?

Frozen blueberries! They taste like candy and also so refreshing and make you feel good and so good for everything!

Next-dancing-everytime a commercial or even song comes on on what you are watching or listening to, dance around the room however your heart (and back) desires!

Have fun! Enjoy a cookie and a dance all at the same time!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 

Thanks for just now reminding me I have a few left in my freezer here in the office.  Got them at my desk now, love frozen blueberries and grapes.

I love exercising daily OP but I do incorporate small things every day to keep weight down.  I work on the tenth floor so I usually get off the elevator at 7 or 8 and walk up flights every day.  I also do not park close to a store entrance and do the extra steps.  Any chore or work I can do while standing at home or work I do it that way.  Standing burns more calories than sitting.  I just love to bike ride and read so it is very easy to do both my loves at the same time.  Whatever you do try to love it so you will do it for decades.  I started indoor bike riding in 1985 and am now on bike number 5.  Good luck and keep us posted.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started this week.  I threw out a good portion of snacks just recently but not all.  While I have brought a few things in, I am trying really hard not to bring everything in.  I am making a real effort to curb my snacking until the holidays. So far so good.  I am allowing myself something small each day.  I am not looking to diet but control what I am having per day and reach for healthier things.   I feel like I am consuming maybe 40% of what I use to.  I feel better already. 

I will enjoy myself at the holidays but I will try and be reasonable too.  I have also adding a little bit of walking. 

I too have always made excuses about when I will start.  The day never comes. Start now!!!!  Otherwise you will find every excuse in the book to eat more. 

Another strategy for me is to wear pants that are tight. It is making me keep my eye on the prize.  I am sick of feeling stuffed in my clothes and living in  yoga pants hasnt helped matters. 

Good luck, it isn’t easy. 

Respected Contributor

Watch fast food. Some can really pack on the pounds. During the lockdown, I lost over 30 pounds. We only ate what I prepared at home. We did not eliminate anything in our diet, but we stopped dining out, fast food, and our favorite treat spots. I made muffins often. We had an occasional cake or pie. Your weight loss could come as simply as eating every meal at home.

Now that we are vaccinated, we do use curbside pick up. I have noticed my weight is fluctuating. I am perfectly content eating at home for every meal, but once I taste restaurant prepared food, I find myself craving it almost like an addiction.

Respected Contributor

I have always exercised but am able to step in up since I am retired.  My four best purchases to enable me in my fitness "journey" are an Echelon stationary bike I purchased last March from QVC, a Total Gym (QVC), a Proform treadmill and an Apple watch.  I LOVE using my machines in conjunction with my watch and tracking my progress.  I am down about 10 pounds since COVID struck and I really didn't need to lose much but I am more toned and so much stronger.  It helps me to make better food choices when I see the great progress I have made.  I also walk outdoors with my three dogs - they are great motivators too!  Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Watch fast food. Some can really pack on the pounds. During the lockdown, I lost over 30 pounds. We only ate what I prepared at home. We did not eliminate anything in our diet, but we stopped dining out, fast food, and our favorite treat spots. I made muffins often. We had an occasional cake or pie. Your weight loss could come as simply as eating every meal at home.

Now that we are vaccinated, we do use curbside pick up. I have noticed my weight is fluctuating. I am perfectly content eating at home for every meal, but once I taste restaurant prepared food, I find myself craving it almost like an addiction.

I definitely have "trigger foods" that once I eat them, I start craving foods I just don't need to eat.  Bread is one.  Many prepared foods also.  I do best eating things as close to their natural state as possible.

Honored Contributor

I have discovered eating clean. If you just do a search on any search engine you can find so much information, food lists, and more.  With this type of food you can eat more and you wont be deprived of food or go hungry! Best wishes.Woman Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller