Esteemed Contributor

Re: After holidays I will need a re-boot and a kick in the you know what!

@JeanLouiseFinch You are one wise woman! Well stated advice for us all.

Respected Contributor

I have had a weight problem most of my life ...the last couple of years

here is what I have done for the Holidays ...pick my battles ...

allow myself free rein Thanksgiving day ...

really watch what I eat from then till Christmas ... we have what

ever we want for Christmas Eve ... Nice breakfast Christmas Day ..

then that's it .... back on track even for New Years ....

But other people are right .. don't turn that 15 into 20 by the first of

the year .. I've done that .. not worth it ....

cholesterol and tummy bulge .. get rid of sugar ...

Good luck ....

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch You are one wise woman! Well stated advice for us all.

You're very kind to say that, @Goldengate8361   I speak from personal experience.  I've tried and failed at weight loss many times and have given up every time except one.  When I finally decided to get serious and do it right one final time, I jumped in with both feet and refused to let myself or anyone else sabotage my success.  I have a family I need to be healthy for!  I have many regrets about my past food choices and how I fed my family.  I've learned a lot in the past couple of years and am thankful to be in the best health of my adult life having lost 150#.  Oh how I wish I would have adopted this lifestyle years ago!  

Esteemed Contributor

Why wait until after the holidays? Every day make a conscious effort to eat healthy and keep walking!

My trick to cut down on sugar is to eat a huge salad (or main course) and then afterward have a tiny bit of dessert. I'm also careful on what I eat after 6:00.

Some here have mentioned walking an hour. I don't think it's a matter of the hour, but how comfortably briskly you are going. No sense in spending money for new equipment. Walking is free!

Respected Contributor

A year ago I gave up bread .. and I have never felt better ...

How you ask ...when we go out .. even fast food .. I take

my burger off the bun .. and eat with knife and fork ...

same for sandwiches ... I still get to go out .... don't feel

deprived or left out ...

Also do not eat after six ....and sugarless gum has become

my best friend ....

Also when I cut down the pace of my eating .. boy did that help ....

You can do it 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pheonixbrd Great advice~All. I am going to take it too. Your "start NOW" with one change at a time, starting today...is great advice.

That nutritionist I saw suggested that "one change" at a time thing also. (this was once I had acheived my goal, and during maintenance, when a little weight had started to creep up) She said, just make one change, or delete one thing, like stop the wine during the week; save it just for the wknd, in limited amount. Maybe no bread for most of the week, just once or twice, healthy, low glycemic type only. 

Take out one of your "cryptonite" items (ie. something you can't control yourself with...for me it's salty snacks, chips, albeit healthy ones, but I still will have too many once I start)...don't bring them in the house, find alternatives. Granted, celery with hummus is good but will never replace a chip for me...however...when I don't have them in the house...I HAVE to eat an alternative. Over time some of these new habits can stick. (Although, I need to think of new alternatives...all my old swaps from my first "diet" 3 yrs ago...are kind of old for me now.)

Add a healthy habit of some kind...walk daily, drink more water etc., add veggies to every meal.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

Classical Stretch exercises on PBS.

I'm a fan of this too...as I've posted on the exercise thread here, I often start my day, 6am it's on in my area, doing this...wakes my body up, limbers me up, gets the blood going. It's very effective with gentle, easy moves. Great for so many things, including balance.

If it's not on in your area, or you're not an early riser, you can buy her dvds for not too much from PBS, "Miranda Esmond White's Classical Stretch"...they will have entire seasons. And I've also seen some of her workouts on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Classical Stretch exercises on PBS.

I'm a fan of this too...as I've posted on the exercise thread here, I often start my day, 6am it's on in my area, doing this...wakes my body up, limbers me up, gets the blood going. It's very effective with gentle, easy moves. Great for so many things, including balance.

If it's not on in your area, or you're not an early riser, you can buy her dvds for not too much from PBS, "Miranda Esmond White's Classical Stretch"...they will have entire seasons. And I've also seen some of her workouts on YouTube.

And if DVDs aren't your thing, she also has books on the subject.  

Aging Backwards
has stretches and also explains a lot about the subject and benefits of easy exercise 

Respected Contributor

Walking for an hour or more is great exercise. I would concentrate more on what you are eating, for now. Cut down on your carbs. Don't take them away completely, that's too hard if those are what you like. Go to the supermarket less often. If you go once a week go once every two weeks. Know that what you have in your house has to last and you will find yourself eating less. Do not eat after dinner and eat as late as possible the next day. For example, stop eating at 7pm, and do not eat until at least 10 am. This is somewhat like fasting for a period of time each day. Good luck

Trusted Contributor

Starting today, eat for your hormones.  The today show had an interesting tidbit, it helps to rethink your eating habits.