Respected Contributor

Re: After holidays I will need a re-boot and a kick in the you know what!

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat....I could have written most of your post....about 13 lbs up, recent physical showed cholesterol is up, (was even sent for a heart/artery scan I just had last night..heart history in family, doc thought it was a good idea to "see what's going on in there...fingers crossed all is not that bad!)

3 years ago my physical, cholesterol and weight were all at the best they'd been in years. So.....gotta get back "in the zone." Had an event the other night and went to wear a pair of holiday pants I'd worn then...yea...no. Even though they are same size of others from same brand, (Chicos) that I can still wear. Couldn't zip them. 😩

I also walk most days, an hour or more. Don't think that's doing much weight-wise...I still think it's good to do. I have a pilates reformer with rebounder (haven't been using it enough) and indoor bike, which I think my body is used to. I'm not telling you you need to go buy equipment...though the bike I bought for $120 on Amazon 4 years ago, is a help...affordable, small footprint in the home. Weights are a great idea. Building some muscle, toning, helps burn calories.

Also...classes online? There are so many types of exercise videos on YouTube.

I haven't been able to bite the bullet yet, like I did 3 years ago when I saw a nutritionist for about 13 wks and lost all extra weight...it was just, (all stuff you've probably heard many times), a balanced "diet" of whole food, lower carb, more lean protein, 3 meals a day, two snacks, start eating an hour after getting up (gets metabolism going), try to stop eating a few hours before bed. Limited dairy...while losing it was only 3 servings a week...that's SO much less than what I normally do and am doing now...cheese is my staple. I eat too much of it now and need to stop that.

I really don't love eating lots of animal protein, but she said she finds people did better losing with that than a vegetarian type diet, which I prefer. But I made myself eat more chicken, fish, turkey then.

3 wines a week. If you add a wine, take away a fruit. Between wine/fruit it's only 3 a day of them total. 

All that just while you want to lose. Then you can be a little less stringent, but don't go crazy taking it all back, or weight just starts to come back.

As someone suggested frozen berries...I've been buying at Fresh Market their frozen dark cherries...same kind of treat...I eat them for a sweet treat and fruit.

If I think of other things I'll add to this, which I know is too long!!

Honored Contributor

@godi   Purging what doesn't service you....YES!

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear   Yes....daily awareness....I can't make it without the routine of consistency and staying accountable.  Logging in (I using Cronometer daily for food intake) and daily scale (mine gives me feedback - BMI, muscle, water weight. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@jackthebear   Yes....daily awareness....I can't make it without the routine of consistency and staying accountable.  Logging in (I using Cronometer daily for food intake) and daily scale (mine gives me feedback - BMI, muscle, water weight. 

totally

Honored Contributor

Peloton has a lot of classes that don't require the bike or tread

walking out and inside, 

meditation

are just a couple

the instructors are very good, I just started a running program

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone suggested "logging food"....I used My Fitness Pal...a bit time consuming, but even if it's just to start you off for a few weeks or the first month...after that you kind of know what you can eat. But to get back on track it's great because you can put in  things like your current weight, your weight goal, it will then tell you amount of calories you can eat in a day. It keeps track of the fats, sugar etc in your foods, warns you when you log something that is putting you near your limit for the day. When you complete the days diary it will give you a pop up message that says "If you continue eating this for XXweeks, you will weight XXX" Which helps keep you motivated.

It is really telling and always surprising how quickly things add up and shows how, for me, I was eating "healthy" but just too much food, and snacks, daily.

Honestly I feel for you...I can talk the talk right now...but the bad habits I succumbed to in the past 2 years...still feel pretty yummy...and hard to get disciplined and deprive myself of anything again yet. BUT.....I am determined and have been trying lately to take the steps. Trying to save the treats for all the holidaying, not at home during the week.

Then after the holidays...usually easier for me to get more serious during Jan/Feb/March, when I did it last time. Da*** pandemic times...turned everything upside down for me.

(I realize I'm still responsible...but I willingly gave myself a "break"...too many changes, some personal loss, a lot going on in these two years...depriving myself and being "disciplined" was just NOT my main thought.) ...plus...during much of 2020, it was impossible to shop, and cook and find the same things I could easily get during the previous years.

So...my point...yes it's up to US to DO it or not...but honestly...I suggest being easy on yourself as I am...it's been a crappy 2 years, for many reasons. So...a little weight crept up. I just want to make sure I address the cholesterol and my health, first and foremost. ...and....I'd love to fit into those pants again. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

in my own personal experience, if I promise to start "....after the (anything)......"  it's a sure way to guarantee that I won't "start" and will repeat all the failed attempts you've tried previously.

I made a "cold start" when I changed my life. I started my new life in April. I did the same beneficial things from day ONE. NO "after Easter, NO after Memorial Day, NO after the Fourth of July...... ", Just the right thing, day after day.

Choose ONE THING, not necessarily something life changing, and STOP DOING THAT ONE THING (eating two LARGE Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars and throwing the wrappers away in the dumpster at the Cemetery) or START DOING THAT ONE THING (parking as far away from the mall entrance as I can, and walking the whole way to that entrance".

Make THAT behavior part of your life, THEN in a month, ADD a NEW "BEST PRACTICE".

Before I began, I could go LITERALLY MONTHS without consuming anything that had grown in the ground. Now? A veggie fiend!

What's your "mental set"? Do you have a focus on THE REASON that can compel you to change my behavior? If it's frivolous or superfluous, you may find it harder to stick.

My reason was wanting to be the best grandma I could create for my potential grandchildren, especially tough for me, because I was the oldest, and by far the most out of shape among the six grandparents waiting for their potential grandchildren.

That incentive turned out to be more important than Christmas food, sitting instead of walking, having a beer.....you name it and my grand baby dreams EXCEEDED IT. Glue yourself to that dream----then live it.

YOU can DO IT, IF YOU WANT IT MORE THAN THE BAD HABITS OF YOUR PAST.

START TODAY. NOT ANY DAY IN THE FUTURE. TODAY.

Honored Contributor

@amyb   Yes,  I use Fitness Pal community where you go in and post your weight and how you are doing on a daily basis.  You can select different groups...it is a great tool, free, and takes just a couple of minutes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann   YES live in the moment....Start TODAY!

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

There is some great advice to choose from our posters.
Another idea: post once a week how you are doing with your goals. Tell us about a new exercise you tried or that you ate a piece of fruit instead of a piece of cake. Most of us are on this same journey and we can give each other support.  And if you mess up, we will still be here for you, too.

Good luck!