Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am in Afib right now.  This is the first time I have gone into it at home.  Don't know what triggered it.

Anyone out there who has it.......what do you do when you have it?

Honored Contributor

Stay calm have you had this before and are you sure itis Afib.  I live with Afib I am not always aware when it happens, take a breath and if in 15 min you are still feeling this way call your cardiologist

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

I have afib too and it was not diagnosed until they inserted a monitor in my chest.  I am now on Cardizem and it has helped alot as I have only had one episode since Febr.  When I had my afib "attacks" I would just rest, try to relax and deep breathe.  The worst part was how I felt afterward and sometimes it took nearly 4 hours until I finally felt better.  I suggest you contact your primary Dr. and proceed from there.

Esteemed Contributor

Upon diagnosis, your cardio should have done the medications and instructions.  Are you following them?  Can you call?

Respected Contributor

Massage the cartoid veins in your neck which will release a hormone to help stop it.  Bear down like you are having a bowel movement.  Put some ice in a hand towel and hold it to your face.  A couple of times I've had to go to the ER, but don't drive yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@kug @I am still oxox  Thanks for answering.  This is the first I've had it outside of the hospital.  It only has happened in times of trauma, so this is new to me at home.

Actually my heart rate has come down to 80, but it is irregular.

Honored Contributor

I have  heard of this but really do not understand why people get it... is it like heart disease or related to it? What causes it?

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3  I have Afib,too.  I take Cardizem (sp) and Flecanide daily for it.  Also an aspirin a day,full strength. I haven't had an episode since Jan. 

When I do get into it I walk around my house.  I get so hyper I can't just sit or lie down with it.  I asked the cardiologist if that was alright and he said it was.  Some people go to bed and sleep and when they wake up it's gone. Not me.

This isn't just a condition for seniors.  Dr. said he has young,athletic patients with it.

I really empathize with those who live with this.  It's scary and you never know what triggers it. 

Thinking of you,take care.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I don't think they know the cause of the condition.  I asked the cardiologist what I could do to avoid more episodes.  He said he didn't have an answer. Of course normal blood pressure and healthy lifestyle goes without saying.

If Afib is a constant problem pacemakers are the next step. So far medication has worked for me.  Fingers crossed.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

DH had Afib for quite a while before it was diagnosed.  He was and still is under treatment for weak pumping of blood from the heart to the rest of the body.  His medications include Entresto and Eliquis.

A year ago last summer they did the first  TEE test to determine if there was a blood clot in the atrium that would prevent doing an ablation procedure.  The clot ultimately dissolved with medication and  an 8-hour procedure was done which included  5 hours to clear away affected area which caused the Afib and 3 hours to insert a combination pacemaker / defibrillator device ( ICD ) device.  By the bedside is a wireless transmitter which monitors his heart and sends reports to a central data center.

The Afib is gone.  The left ventricle pumping issue will be re-evaluated.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill