New Contributor

Aeropilates Rebounder and the Lymphatic System

Is rebounding on the AeroPilates (horizontal jumping) comparable to rebounding on a mini trampoline (vertical jumping) in the sense that it is healthy for your lymphatic system? Does it have the same effects?

Honored Contributor

Re: Aeropilates Rebounder and the Lymphatic System

Interesting question, I don't the answer but I'd like to as a lymphoma survivor 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Thats a great question. I do rebounding on my mini trampoline to help my lymp system too.  I'm not sure if being horizontal rather than vertical would make a difference. 

Esteemed Contributor

How long are you using the rebounder on the pilates machine?  I'm only doing it less than 10 min.

Frequent Contributor

I keep trying the rebounder but does anyone else get motion sickness when they use it?   Also, you could email Marjalein at lighterliving.com and ask - she would know!

Regular Contributor

I would like to know this too.

Frequent Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

How long are you using the rebounder on the pilates machine?  I'm only doing it less than 10 min.

Good question.

New Contributor

Thanks for your responsesSmiley Happy

I emailed Marjolein concerning this question but never received a response.

Just thought someone would have some idea.

The problem with using  a standard mini trampoline is that it aggravates my lower back

and it seems that the rebounder would be better in that sense. Also, I feel that jumping on a trampoline is not that safe for our bodies as we age. Just my opinion though...

Esteemed Contributor

@MJ25 wrote:

Is rebounding on the AeroPilates (horizontal jumping) comparable to rebounding on a mini trampoline (vertical jumping) in the sense that it is healthy for your lymphatic system? Does it have the same effects?

@MJ25

Hi MJ25,

The lymphatic system, like the vascular system, is a network of vessels.  The vascular system is comprised of arteries and veins.  Veins have valves in them to prevent a "backwash" of venous blood in the wrong direction.  Arteries have no valves, as the purpose is to propel oxygenated blood to the body.

The vessels of the lymphatic system are very small.  Their purpose, simply put, is to on the one hand return lymphatic fluid from the extremities to certain organs in the torso.  In doing so, the "toxins" of cell metabolism, which are quite nasty, are removed from the legs and arms. thereby keeping these extremities "clear."

My opinion is that your activities are healthy for the lymphatic system.  However, after such exercise it's always a good idea to do cooling down exercises so that the toxins created as a result of exercise can be removed.  15 minutes of walking or slow cycling are just two ideas.

On a possibly related topic, there is a disorder called CRPS or Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome.  It is much more than pain, though.  I had to have surgery in first my left hand, then 10 years later my right hand.  During this surgery, the arm has a placed on it, thereby nearly stopping lymphatic flow for 2.5 hours.  Clinically, the cause of CRPS has not been determined.  However, I'm convinced that the tourniquet is the cause.  With the toxins remaining in my right arm for 2.5 hours, I developed acute onset arthritis (disfiguring), great loss of range of motion from finger tips to elbow, very limited grasp, 4 carpal bones fused and nerve pain. 

Even if they ever figure this out, it will not be reversible.