Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice on using stairs instead of treadmill

I've had one of those air steppers that works like an elliptical. This is not hard on any of the joints. It also works wonders with your hips, thighs, legs and behind. 

I mentioned this to my young doctor. I also have a treadmill. She recommended although it was a good addition, still get walking in daily. Everyone recommends some walking. But the elliptical is suggested for those with joints and even hip and knee replacements. 

Trusted Contributor

If you have access to an indoor pool, try that.  It is well worth it even if you have to pay a fee (reasonable) to use the pool.You can walk around and around in the shallow end and, if you swim, do exercises or just tread water in the deep end.  That type of exercise is easy on the joints especially if you are overweight.  A lot of places also have water aerobics or water exercise for older folks (like me).   I usually spend about an hour just treading water &  doing various other exercises in both the deep & shallow end.  As my stamina increased, I added some swimming laps too but those get boring fast. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Walking in place at home IS boring, but like many others, I really like the Leslie Sansone walking videos. She has videos of different distances, which equate to different times. I like the Walk Off Fat Fast video.

She does walking, but also incorporates 4 basic moves and gets your arms involved, as well. You get a lot more of a workout than just walking around the block or walking on a treadmill and she's really positive and keeps it fun. The Walk Off Fat Fast video has 3 different workouts, so you can start with a 20 minute walk, then do 30, and work up to 40 minutes. Once you can do the 40 comfortably, you can change it up and do different workouts on different days so it doesn't get boring. She also has many different videos. One of the reasons I really like them is because they're more intense than walking, like aerobics, but the moves are simple. There's no fancy choreography to get me lost of make me feel like I'm awkward.

I have several through streaming video from the big A store and can use my computer or my Roku to watch my videos. That means that when I go visit my parents for the holidays, I can watch the videos there with my own computer or their Roku. Having a few to alternate between also means that I can change things up so it doesn't get boring. And it was much cheaper than a treadmill.

They're also great because it's too hot to go out in the Texas summer and in the winter and spring, my allergies keep indoors.

Honored Contributor

Walk around the outter aisles of the biggest box store near your house

Go to the grocery store and walk every aisle twice

Park in the furthest spot wherever you go

Walk back and forth to the mailbox

Esteemed Contributor

Leslie Sansone videos are great.  Not boring.

Frequent Contributor

Leslie Sansone walking dvd's.  Not boring and you WILL get winded Smiley Happy Heart

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much everyone for your great suggestions and ideas--lots of good ones. I especially appreciate finding out about Leslie Sansone. Had never heard of her before. I checked out some of her videos on YouTube and liked what I saw. Am going to borrow some of her DVDs from the library, and once I determine which ones I like best, will purchase those. 

For me, exercising along with her will be a better choice than going up and down the stairs. I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet and, therefore, never know when an unexpected jolt of pain might hit me, making a fall down the stairs very likely. Because of the neuropathy, I would always have to go slowly up and down in case of a pain attack, so would never be able to get a real workout by going fast.

Again. thanks for the great help!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just an added note--I picked up two of Leslie Sansone's DVDs from the library last night. Haven't gotten to start walking to them yet, but like what I'm seeing. Think I will definitely end up buying myself some of her DVDs, but need some advice please on what to get. I've been checking out what's available but there are just so many to choose from. One that looks interesting to me is her Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection. If any of you have this, could you tell me what you think of it? Would also appreciate hearing what your favorite DVDs are of hers. Some of you have already shared info about ones you like--would love to hear some more recommendations. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Just to add to what has been said, @qualityshopper,  Leslie Sansone's DVDs re very good.  YouTube has some of her routines available to use for variety from the ones you have.  

And and as has been said, too much stair climbing will digest your knees.  Years ago I used to love doing step classes and now I am suffering the consequences.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Frequent Contributor

I really like her new Miracle Mile set - you can check it out at her website or on Amazon, I believe.  5 DVDs - starting with 1 mile going up to 5 miles.  Includes a new toning tool and a segment on each DVD using it.