Respected Contributor

Re: Advice on using stairs instead of treadmill

@GCR18 wrote:

Walk around the outer aisles of the biggest box store near your house

Go to the grocery store and walk every aisle twice

Park in the furthest spot wherever you go

Walk back and forth to the mailbox

Yes!  I get a workout just going to Walmart.  My other suggestion is to look at local garage sales or craig's list and find another treadmill.  People get rid of those all the time in perfectly good condition.  I could never do those walk in place videos.  Treadmills are boring enough.

Valued Contributor

MomCat--Like you and GCR18, I also get quite a workout whenever I go to the grocery stores (Walmart, Meijer, etc.). Can't go every day, though--too far away. If I had any funds to spare, I would definitely consider getting somebody's used treadmill, but money is really tight right now. So, even though walking in place and on the treadmill is boring, I'll have to stick to that for the time being. Think it might help when watching the DVDs to mute the sound and put on some good music to walk to.

Valued Contributor

Mmsfoxxie--After thinking about it, I've decided not to try the stairs. Know it'll bother my knees and feet. I'm just going to use a few of Leslie Sansone's DVDs as well as her routines on YouTube as you suggested. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

MomCat--Like you and GCR18, I also get quite a workout whenever I go to the grocery stores (Walmart, Meijer, etc.). Can't go every day, though--too far away. If I had any funds to spare, I would definitely consider getting somebody's used treadmill, but money is really tight right now. So, even though walking in place and on the treadmill is boring, I'll have to stick to that for the time being. Think it might help when watching the DVDs to mute the sound and put on some good music to walk to.

@qualityshopperIs there any way that you need to treat your treadmill with silicone spray?  My husband has a silicone wand that he pulls between the belt and the area underneath the belt every so often.  Not sure if this would solve your problem.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, Sunbeam, for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

Valued Contributor

Pateacher--I really don't know what is exactly wrong with the treadmill, so wouldn't know if silicone spray would help, but appreciate knowing about using it. Think I'll ask my cousin to check it out the next time he visits. Don't know if he'll be able to fix it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice on n using stairs instead of treadmill

I got my Horizon treadmill from HSN eight years ago. They were pushing them for $600. and offered 20% if I got their credit card and there was free S&H. What a buy, and what a wnderful decision I made. I've never done any kind of maintenance on it, and it has been 100% reliable since I bought it. It was my lucky day.

I've used it the entire eight years except when occasionally I do it at my Health club. Usually there, I like the elliptical. Watching the news gives me a good hour on the treadmill, and if it's a complicated day, I just do 20 min. here and there throughout the day.

My doctor told me to always walk and that was the best and not discontinue for something else. There's nothing better b/c if it's hot, raining, snowing or whatever, you always can fit in your treadmill. I just love my treadmill....

Super Contributor

Re: Advice on n using stairs instead of treadmill

Step aerobics beginner workout with Dana - 30 Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6cg54UoO-A

Try other videos !

You can make your own. ( a few "cinder blocks" from Loews !!!

Watch QVC  while "stepping" !

I used to go to the football stadium, and climb the stairs, top to bottom

Many office buildings have stairwells

Be creative !!!

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK