Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much everyone. ♥ Oh my goodness I didn't think this many fellow scoliosis sufferers would respond. It sounds like we're all dealing with similar issues.  I'm surprised at how many have not had the childhood surgery, I wonder if it's a generational thing?

The visit was kind of disconcerting. They took more views of my spine. It's not pretty. He talked with me about having scoliosis surgery at various stages of life and how (no surprise) 60 and over is a more problematic stage.  His primary concern, before considering anything else, is bone health. I'm scheduled for an MRI and DEXA then he'll talk to me some more.

@BExplorer I've read about the Schroth method online. Unfortunately there is no place that offers it near me.  Good luck with it.

@classic, sigh yes life does take over doesn't it? I tell myself that everyday, just do the best you can. 

Thank you everyone, your replies mean so much to me. My heart goes out to all of you who are living with this baffling and painful condition.

I'm not sure how current this forum is. I googled scoliosis patient forum. I'm soon to turn 70 & have been diagnosed with scoliosis. I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis. I've had at least 3 injuries to my spine: C56 SCI, T12 frx, & frx sacrum. Not sure if those injuries contributed to the scoliosis. I have lost 3 inches. My spine is a C curve to the left & 30 degrees.
I've had neck and back pain for decades & have taken all opioids. I'm off opioids now and trying CBD oil and medical marijuana. You have to have patience with the CBD/THC oils. Everyone is different. I am amazed that it works for pain, muscle spasms, anxiety, sleep. You don't have to experience a high. You can regulate the amount of THC / CBD ratio thus eliminating the unwanted effects of marijuana. I recommend!
I couldn't handle a conversion table. It felt like my vertebrae were all squishing together. Then my back was in horrible pain for several minutes after coming off.
I've had PT for a few months. It decreased the curve by 1 degree. I note I feel straighter but one has to continue the exercises daily. I take a gentle hatha yoga also a few times a week. Also take a meditation class. It's becoming more difficult to walk. I use a walking stick. I feel like I'm screwed. My x-rays look so bad. I go to a osteopathic doctor for gentle manipulation and craniosacral therapy twice a month. I have a 1/4" lift in one shoe due to leg length discrepancy. It took away a year of hip pain.
I don't wish this on anyone. It's so uncomfortable to sit or stand for any length of time. Sciatica is frequent. A support group would be great. Today is 3/28/19.
Respected Contributor

My daughter has Schumann’s Kyphosis which falls under the scoliosis umbrella. She does suffer with neck and back pain from time to time. Just wondering if anyone here has this?

Valued Contributor

I am 69 and have severe arthritis [and a bunch of other  horrible diagnoses';But I do have scoliosis and kyphosis.   I was born with one leg 2 inches shorter than the other due to hip dysplasia . My parents never mentioned it to me . I walked on one toe to compensate for the difference in leg lenghth and  was able to do all the things other kids did . I did have reocurring back pain and did not develop kyphosis until I was old with arthritis . My parents told me when I was in my teens but it didn't phase me . Back when I was a child my parents had no insurance and was told by the doctor that surgery for hip dysplasia was painful and would require a year in bed and in a spica cast . My parents decided that the surgery would be too painful and had no guarantees and was not perfected yet. I just grew up and lived with it . I did have to have cesareans when I had children due to the cephalopelivc disproportion. I have read that there are yoga excercizes that can help if you can fins a very experience yoga instuctor who knows about scoliosis and what excercizes aer gentle and help .I  know that having harrington bars is the normal surgery but at my age ,,,well I don't want to do it . Its very painful . However they are doing new types of surgery in Boston that are less invasive.I am walking and getting around but my arthritis is bad and I think I will just live with the back situation .I need new knees but don't want to do that ..Surgery is risky at this age anyway . cathy from ma 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a retail link

Esteemed Contributor

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was about 13, or so.

Back then, (in the early to mid 1980's) I was given what was basically a TENS unit to wear every night, to help pull the muscles to straighten my spine. And I was to wear it at night, while I slept. Yeah, sure.

I hated wearing that thing, so most of the time, I didn't.

My spine got better as I grew.

Now, I just live with whatever curvature my spine is.

Most of the time I forget that I even have it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.