Respected Contributor

It looks like I need Invisalign to correct my bite and I have 2 teeth that are moving and causing pain.  Most people compliment my "beautiful smile" my teeth are straight (all but 2) with no gaps or crowding, but the reality is my teeth are showing signs of a mis-aligned bite and I have pain that are turning.

Even though it is a functional issue insurance of course calls it cosmetic so it will be self-pay of course.

Has anyone here been through this?

Any words of wisdom to share?

Honored Contributor

I would carefully check out the effectiveness of the Invisaligne process before committing to it.  I've heard it's mostly for very mild misplacement where not much correction is needed. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

It looks like I need Invisalign to correct my bite and I have 2 teeth that are moving and causing pain.  Most people compliment my "beautiful smile" my teeth are straight (all but 2) with no gaps or crowding, but the reality is my teeth are showing signs of a mis-aligned bite and I have pain that are turning.

Even though it is a functional issue insurance of course calls it cosmetic so it will be self-pay of course.

Has anyone here been through this?

Any words of wisdom to share?

ask your dentist for a referral

FWIW  re insurance, we had to pay for 2 kids braces so no insurance here,  
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adult Invisalign

[ Edited ]

I had it.  My teeth were chipping and it was necessary.  I had very bad misalignment and crowding.  Regular braces would not work around the crowns I have.

I hated the whole process but it was worth it.  I wear a guard every night.

If you have the money I would do it.  (I am in my 50's)

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had  traditional braces as a teenager  with very good results . 

In my 40s I found that I was having problems with my bite and had great success using  Invisaline to correct it.   If your orthodontist has had success using invisaline for a bite problem I would do it ! 

PS I think it took about 9 months .

Had no problems speaking while wearing them - most of my friends didn't even know I was wearing them 

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I had it.  My teeth were chipping and it was necessary.  I had very bad misalignment and crowding.  Regular braces would not work around the crowns I have.

I hated the whole process but it was worth it.  I wear a guard every night.

If you have the money I would do it.  (I am in my 50's)

Sigh....

How long did it the process take for you?

I have been told to expect 12-18 months.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had the Invisalign braces ("aligners" I think they are called) for 1 year when I was in my early 40s.  1) I did not know they had to glue "brackets" onto my teeth that allow the Invisalign to snap on.  Not sure if this is what they have to do for you - but be advised.  I was horrified and had a meltdown when I got home after they were first put on.  I thought I'd be able to keep the Invisalign off for, say, a wedding - but the brackets made it look like I had cheese on my teeth.  Having said that, I dealt with it.  And it is SO WORTH IT.  My teeth are straight.  It is the first thing people notice about you!  2) It hurts.  Changing the aligners every two weeks hurt.  Just for the first day.  And I couldn't get them to snap in on those miserable brackets.  But I did it.  It stunk.  

So, it was not a cake walk for me...but IT IS SO WORTH IT.  Doooo it.

Edited to Add:  Important!  You must wear your nightly retainers when you are finished!

Trusted Contributor

I think you need to be a candidate for that, @Kachina624 mentioned something I also remember hearing.

I've had braces twice, and the second time made sure to use the retainer all the time.

Super Contributor

I'm currently in braces, but not invisalign.  I chose Damon ceramic and metal braces because it also improves the smile for adults.  I didn't feel I would be a great candidate  for clear aligners because I might tend to cheat on  the required time to have them in  or lose them when I went out to eat. Some people have trouble speaking wearing invisalign.  .Like any tight appliance in your mouth, any braces are somewhat painful whenyou first put them in.   One thing you may want to look into  is an appliance called Accel.  It can help with the discomfort and people have had success with cutting down the time they have to spend wearing braces.  It is somewhat pricey tho.   There's a lot of postings of adult braces on realself.com and most of them are reports on the clear aligners. If you are like me, and know nothing about wearing braces,  I would suggest reading as much as you can  prior to getting them on.   Also, there are a lot of adults who like to post their stories of wearing braces on youtube.  Good Luck.   How long is your treatment?

Contributor

Hi Mememe! I am in my 12th month with Invisalign and I would definitely recommend them. I grind my teeth and had ruined my bite. I can't believe that the Invisalign have been correcting my bite so much that I no longer grind. My teeth had a lot of realignment to go through so that was why I'm at 12 months. I get checked in 3 weeks to see where they are and whether more are needed or not. It was expensive--$5,000, but I used my Beneflex and then put the rest on CareCredit. Once you pay for the treatment, no matter what you need or how long you need, there is no additional cost. I am 60 and I wanted to keep my teeth and stop that horrible pain in my jaw. This has worked for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.