Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adjustable bed and insurance

@Carmie wrote:

You have mentioned that you have Medicare Advantage.  Medicare covers HOSPITAL BEDS if they are prescribed by your doctor and the provider sells durable Medical equipment

They may require you to rent for up to 13 months before they purchase the bed outright, but that is unlikely in your case since you have a lifetime disability,

You might  need to have the bed preauthorized before hand.

I would not count on insurance covering a sleep mumber bed.  It has to be a hospital bed that is labeled durible medical equipment purchased from a durable medical equiptment company that participates with Medicare.

I already have a hospital bed insurance covered before I switched to Medicare. I kind of figure they wouldn't pay for a entire sleep number or adjustable bed. I wonder if there might be a certain reimbursement amount like they do for power lift recliners. Anyway we are fully planning on paying the entire thing. I was just curious if anyone had attempted this.

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday, in my experience, insurance paid some towards my Sleep Number matress-adjustable, and a spa. Here is the deal though: your doctor has to specify the brand of whatever it is and the model of the item, and he must specify that its medically necessary.

.....hopefully, your policy will cover it. If in doubt, give customer service ( your insurance) a call and ask.

How are you feeling these days?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@ccassaday, in my experience, insurance paid some towards my Sleep Number matress-adjustable, and a spa. Here is the deal though: your doctor has to specify the brand of whatever it is and the model of the item, and he must specify that its medically necessary.

.....hopefully, your policy will cover it. If in doubt, give customer service ( your insurance) a call and ask.

How are you feeling these days?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Thanks. We will defiantly check into it before we purchase. I know with the power lift recliner the prescription has to be dated before the purchase. I am feeling great. All the swelling in my face is gone. Hopefully getting my implants on June 21st.

Honored Contributor

My niece was able to use her insurance on the purchase on a Temperpedic mattress years ago.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My niece was able to use her insurance on the purchase on a Temperpedic mattress years ago.....

Do you know how much of it they paid? Once I know which bed I want and test them out I will call the insurance to find out. Because like stated the doctor probably has to put the exact model in the prescription. It would be very helpful if they paid for part of it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Have you ever thought of using one of those short bed rails?  They come from the head to less than half the distance to the foot.  You can pull yourself up with it and it keeps you from rolling out of bed.  Had one for dad. 

@Kachina624

I have one of those rails on my bed.  I also use a triangle hard sponge lift pillow at the top of my bed under the mattress.  I wouldn't be able to get myself out of bed without those two items.  Never thought of asking Medicare to pay for them . . . but they are not expensive, so I doubt it would.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@sissy2 Tree  @Ccassaday  @Due to abuses of the system, Medicare has really cracked down on some of the goodies for which they'll pay.  I've heard they'll no longer pay for scooters.  I've got 2 and paid for both myself because they were supposed to be for inside use and I planned to use mine outside only.  My house isn't designed for their use. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment