Respected Contributor

Re: Actual Doctor Visits --- Anyone Have Any Yet???

My DH had surgery 3+ months ago...Just before all of this started.  He has to be re-checked every 3 months.  He already had that appointment set up.  He called about it, and was told that the Surgeon has a slect group of Patients he wanted/needed to see.

DH was on the list.  So, this will be the 1st Dr. visit for anyone in the house since this Virus started. 

Anything else needed was done by phone/Text ~ Rx Refills,  a sinus infection, etc...

Everything else is on hold, for who knows how long?  I was supposed to have a temp partial re-adjusted 6 weeks ago, but their offices are still closed.  Just have to wait, as it is not an emergency.  

My Dentist is in MD.  and they just started to open up more businesses.  I'm in PA, in a county what is still Red, and who knows for how long.  Counties all around us are going Yellow on Friday...Ours is not ready.  Smiley Sad

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

my husband had his physical right before the shutdown... I  have not had one since 2017.  Just keep putting it off.  So not too worried about missing mine. 

Esteemed Contributor

A friend of mine retired from urban planning and he pointed what our actual problem is.

All of my care is in large, interconnected complex.

So now I can not visit any doctor (elevator, two way stairs, group waiting), get a rx filled, go to the lab or have any treatment.

They are locked down and it took a freedom of information to get a count of covid patients there.

Endo, PCP, neurosurg, oncology, cardiologist, gyn and neurologist all gone with the wind.

Sole practices in single buildings may be booming.

Honored Contributor

Dr is only seeing the sickest of patients in person; all other visits are by phone.   

My husband had a phone visit with his clinic provider at the VA; access into the main building is still restricted.   

Trusted Contributor

I actually think this is one of the best times for an appointment as long as the office is taking precautions.  I have to go to the dentist this week.  They already told me to call when I arrive.  They will come to the car, take my temp, check my oxygen level, and ask me questions.  They will be wearing PPE.  Only 1 patient in the office at a time.  

Normally, I have to sit in the waiting room.  Not for long since they are quite good on time.  But there is always someone else there and I'm sure the chairs, etc. have germs.  Also had to go to the orthopedist.  Similar in that I waited in the car until the doctor was ready.  That waiting area is very big and in normal times it would be crowded.  

Respected Contributor

I had an appt. with my Internal Medicine PCP this past Monday that had been made 3 months ago for my annual physical.  I had fasting labs 1 week prior & before I entered the waiting room, a tech stationed outside the door took my temp & gave me a mask.  For my actual appt. with my internist, it was the same with the temp taking, but this time I had my own mask on & I went into waiting room.  All of the staff had masks on & when my dr. came in, he was wearing scrubs, tenny runners & a mask instead of his usual shirt, slacks & loafers. They never had me take any of my clothes off which was fine by me!  Thankfully, I don't have another appt. again until Nov.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband's appt. was changed from an office visit to a phone appointment this week with our primary care doctor.

I haven't heard anything about my appointment yet.

It's scheduled for later this week, and has been a long-standing appointment.

I'm also wondering if it will be changed to a phone appointment, or if it will be kept for an office appointment.

I have chronic health issues, but they have been pretty stable for some time now in general--and the past blood work for them has been good--things like blood sugar, cholesterol, and so on.

I had blood work done last week for this appointment, and maybe those results will also determine whether or not he wants me to come in or not.

In other words, if the results are alright, I may not need to see him in person and we can do a phone visit? Just speculating for myself. 

I am editing my post today on Monday afternoon to say that I just got a phone call from our doctor's office, asking me if I wouldn't mind a phone call visit from him on the same day as my appointment on Thursday.

I was supposed to see him for an evening appointment in his office that day, but he must have had a cancellation for the time that I will be talking to him for my appointment. 

This will be fine for me. I don't mind doing it this way.

It seems to be the way that many doctors are handling office visits for now with many of their patients, depening on circumstances.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for replying!

I know with the virus, most everything else concerning doctor visits, etc., has had to sort of take a back seat, but now, I think its getting to the point where other health issues really need to get addressed as well!  I know it will be difficult for everything to start catching up, but it's got to start soon for all of our sakes!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, let's see....

A routine dental appointment scheduled for the end of April has been cancelled with no rescheduling. They said they would contact me when they are allowed to re-open the office. No big deal.

My annual exam with my PCP scheduled for early May has been rescheduled for August. Again, no big deal.

I was supposed to see my ophthamologist and optometrist during the same appointment this week. The optometrist checks my vision and writes a new prescription for contact lenses. The opthamologist does the more complicated exam and checks to make sure that the retina that detached about 6 years ago is still welded on. I got a call from the office last week. I can see the opthamologist as scheduled because they can justify that visit as "monitoring a chronic condition". However; I can't see the optometrist. That's not allowed as it's "not essential". Ugh. That's just ridiculous. They're in the same office! The opthamologist said he's fine with me rescheduling to another date when I can hopefully see them both, so I'm now seeing them in July. Fortunately I have enough contact lenses to get me thru, but they did say they'd order a 90 day supply if I needed them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I actually think this is one of the best times for an appointment as long as the office is taking precautions.  I have to go to the dentist this week.  They already told me to call when I arrive.  They will come to the car, take my temp, check my oxygen level, and ask me questions.  They will be wearing PPE.  Only 1 patient in the office at a time.  

Normally, I have to sit in the waiting room.  Not for long since they are quite good on time.  But there is always someone else there and I'm sure the chairs, etc. have germs.  Also had to go to the orthopedist.  Similar in that I waited in the car until the doctor was ready.  That waiting area is very big and in normal times it would be crowded.  

Same procedure here in NJ. My internist asked me to check in with him once I find out from the dentist what the "window" for temporary filling is, then figure out when the internist wants me to get the dental work done in conjunction with the dentist.

LOGISTICS WITH MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS!!