Esteemed Contributor

Re: Actual Doctor Visits --- Anyone Have Any Yet???

I've had three appointments. In each case the reception desk was set up with the plexii partition between the patient and reception desk.  Mask were mandatory.  The appointments were also scheduled so that there was absolutely no waiting time between each patient.  Also waiting rooms were set up to accomodate a very limited number of patients.  I always go to my doctor's appointments alone, but in each case when the appointment was confirmed it was mentioned to not bring anyone with.  Told the companion would have to wait outside the office and most buildings aren't allowing waiting in the main lobby right now, so the companion would have to wait on the street  since coffeeshops and McDonald's can't let you sit either. I suppose in areas where more people might drive to a doctor's appointment the companion could wait in the car. 

It smelled and looked cleaner, and I felt safer in the medical building than I do at the supermarkets and drugstores, yet those places have never closed. Inspite of valiant efforts by the supermarkets, drugstores and elsewhere to maintain heightened sanitation all it takes is for one nasty (unkowingly) infected person to touch something and dozens of others can leave the store infected.  Frankly I worry more about touching behind some person with nasty hands, who still isn't washing their hands anymore than they did before COVID.  The mask can't help me with that, but it sure is exacerbating my asthma. I'll leave it at that because I could really inappropriately rant here on this subject.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes, went to the orthopedic office last week.

They were routing all incoming vehicles thru the drop off in the front of the building......you had to roll down your car window, give them your name, and the gowned, masked and gloved assistants would take your temp with a forehead scanner and ask you covid exposure questions before allowing you to park. 

Only patients were allowed in the building. No one could accompany them. They said masks were required, but one person sitting in my section wasn't wearing on. 

In the office, the waiting room was divided into sections (A,B,C) with chair in each section spaced 5 ft apart.  The receptionist who checked you in would tell you which section to sit in. 

Also had to take my BF to Urgent Care on Monday. We were both allowed in. They sent him on to the local ER, where only the patient was allowed in (unless you were terminally ill, having a baby - 1 person could accompany, or under 18 - parents allowed). He was dx with gallbladder, blocked duct and pancreatitis due to blocked duct. Transferred to the main hospital in Charlotte (hour away) and eventually had surgery on Thursday.........again, same rules re visiting.....surgeon phoned me at home after surgery. I could talk to his nurse on the floor as long as I gave her the "code word" established on admittance. 

And he was tested for Covid at the main hospital prior to endoscopy- negative!!! All the rooms in this facility are private rooms.

Respected Contributor

I hada phone visit back in March and a couple days later made an appointment for the end of July as I go every 4 months. Not sure if that will happen or not.

Honored Contributor

I was wondering about my June oncology appt too----It's my annual one and I go get blood labs done before,  all she does is go over the results with me and  she does some hands on dr stuff too--will call Monday to ask

Respected Contributor

Had "in person" visit with Cardiologist last week and have an "in person" appointment with Primary Care Dr tomorrow.  Went to dentist last week and now need appointment with Orthodontist, but their office is not opening until June 1 - scheduled appointment June 15, guess I'll put up with a toothache until then.

My Dermatologist and Chiropractic offices were never closed to "in person" visits.  Had a phone visit with Gastroenterolgist in April and have a follow up appointment end of May.  Hopefully it will be an "in person" visit as a phone visit will not suffice in this case.

All offices required taking temperature upon entering, masked, receptionist behind plexiglass, only patient allowed in the office.

This darn virus has certainly changed our world and it is making me sad, mad and worried about how the future will shape up for our kids and grandkids.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. In March just before our shutdown in Florida, I finished my series of eye appointments needed to upgrade my contact lenses. Need to see. The doctor wore a mask, I did not. This was before masks were mandatory in public areas. There was a list posted on the entrance door warning people not to come in with certain conditions, fever, etc.

In late April I had lab work done at a Quest office in Fort Lauderdale before a doctor visit. Quest made everyone line up outside their office 6ft apart. They called people in one at a time to register. No coming in and sitting down in the reception area. People like myself with an appointment were called out of line early. Everyone, including myself, was wearing a mask. The employees, as one would expect, wear gloves.

In early May I had an office visit with my endochrinologist in Fort Lauderdale. I was asked to sign a form stating I did not feel ill, have a fever (although it was checked in the exam room), have not had a known exposure to someone with COVID-19 in the prior 14 days, etc. Everyone wore masks, as we still must in public areas in Broward County. The doctor wore gloves during her examination. There was hand sanitizer available in the reception area as well as the exam room.

Those of us with health issues can and should not delay or postpone medical treatment. In my opinion doctors and dentists who are not seeing patients need to get with the program.

Esteemed Contributor

DH has had four in person appointments (dermatology, 2 pain, surgery consultation).  In addition we shared a quarterly checkup virtually.  Going forward, we are hoping that more of our routine stuff is virtual (since most of our stuff is a six hour roundtrip away).

Honored Contributor

Nope, haven't had a reason to connect with any of my doctors. I have been to the hospital twice for my monthly B-12 injections, done by 2 different RN Nurses. 

Only doctor contacts were my nephew and 1 of my Ortho friends. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Saw my GP on Thursday for sinus infection.  Everybody wore masks.  Waiting room chairs marked "Don't sit here" to promote social distanting.  3 others in waiting room.  Hand sanitizer available!

Honored Contributor

I am not going to the doctor until our quarantine is lifted in IL.  That will be the end of May and then my hair cut is my number one priority if I can get an appt.  LOL  I have a couple of doctor appts. in a few months.

kindness is strength