Esteemed Contributor

Re: Actual Doctor Visits --- Anyone Have Any Yet???

I've had mine cancelled. The doctor as well as the dentist. I do have an appointment for the GYN in 2 weeks....that's one you cannot do a virtual visit for. I'm not a big fan of the virtual visit; they don't have to examine you, but they get the $$. Nope, I'll wait to be seen in person. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Rheumatologist has done a phone call visit in early May. He is taking emergency patients and their lab is still doing lab work prior to those emergency visits if necessary.

I finally have an appointment for new lenses following my retina surgery, which was done in January. The surgeon told me to follow strict recovery procedures for 2-3 months before returning to my Opthomologist. By then, the Virus-19 was in full force and I did not want an appointment! Now? I'm ready and so is my Opthomologist. However, he is staggering patients so no one is in the waiting room at he same time, staff is sanitizing all rooms and equipment between patients, and each patient must wear a mask and will have their temperature taken prior to entering their offices. It makes me very comfortable about the upcoming appointment.

Fortunately, I selected and purchased new frames in December (before the retina surgery) with a good friend who could see well and has great taste. So happy that's done and I don't have to do that. I'll just provide my new frames and the RX next door and leave in minutes! Then pick them up in a couple of days without much contact made until they are fitted to my face/head. Whew, lucked out on that one!

All other medical appointments remain on an "as needed" basis. But our Governor is beginning to open up restaurants, stores, etc. I understand the financial impact for the owners, but won't go in for a very long time. Still think this is a dangerous time, especially for those of us with immune and other serious health problems. 

Everyone stay safe as you return to medical appointments.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH had to go to dermatologist three days ago to have some stitches removed. You call when you arrive then stay in your car and they text you when you are ready to be seen. A nurse comes to the front door (it is a medical office building, not a hospital) and takes your temp. You go up on an elevator alone and the nurse comes up on one of the other elevators. They took him back to the exam room and no waiting room is used....they called to confirm the day before the appt. and said "wear a mask and come alone". He had to leave his mask on during the procedure and the dr wore a mask and a face shield. No problem! Just weird.

Honored Contributor

I have had two visits in the past month.  No mask required but temp. was taken before I was allowed in.  The first visit my Dr. had only been required to start wearing the mask the day before.  He kept his finger inside it to pull it away from his face while we talked. He told me it was driving him crazy.  I am sure he is used to it by now.  The next appt. a couple of weeks later I just saw my Phy. Asst. and she was wearing her's.  Some patients wearing masks and some not.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

My hubby had a successful podiatrist appointment this morning  he's diabetic so they checked and clipped his toe and fingernails, put his feet in a whirlpool gadget like, lotioned them up and boy hearing all that had me wishing for for my own pedi/mani services!  I had dropped him off and went grocery shopping the store was empty and well stocked. 

Respected Contributor

My appointment had been scheduled for late March but postponed until mid May. Lab tests were done early May and reports sent to my doctor to discuss with me. They said to call when I arrived and wait for a nurse to come to my car to take my temperature. It was fine so straight through the empty waiting room to the exam/treatment room. Assistant took all the vitals. Doc came in shortly afterwards. Discussed various personal things, reviewed every prescription and supplement that I take. Went over every detail of the lab tests.

Then the fun began. Nurse came in with a disposable gown thing and she & doc left while I stripped down to my panties. Went through the head to toe routine and finished it off with an EKG. Everyone semi-happy. My doctor, the assistants and nurses and I wore masks the entire time. I had on gloves since I don't like touching doorknobs, etc. Lots of soap and water hand washing and sanitizer gel avaiable. I had been reluctant to go for that appointment but left feeling confident about the precautions and strict compliance by the staff and my doctor. 

Super Contributor

I had an appointment in June and will cancel.  Same with Dental.  In our area, after re-pening everything, COVID cases are exploding.  No doctor, dentist, salon visit, restaurant, bar, church, for me.  This is not the time to go back to close contacts.  I wish people would understand that and not believe people whose only interest is the economy.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Yes, today I went to the urgent care for a problem with my leg. It was my first time in public since this CV. And I thought it strange that they didn't take my husband's temp. I sure hope the world doesn't get to lax.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a mammogram this past Monday. Only allowed one way to enter via your car into the medical center. Met by security and a nurse, while still in the car, both wearing masks and I was required to wear one as well. I was asked several questions and then I was told on what row I could park my car, and how to exit the facility after my appointment.

Walked up to entrance to the center and met by another nurse in mask, temperature taken, and asked several questions. Once I passed that screening a colored dot was placed on my clothes. 

I then proceed to imaging. once I checked in I sat for a limited time. They had the chairs with tape over them to make sure you had six feet distance, but it was only me and one other person. Once I was called to the back the mammogram tech/nurse was wearing a mask as well, and touched me as little as possible. She was trying to direct me on how to move my girls around, and how to move my feet. it was to say the least very odd. I have been doing this for 13 years straight and it was a memorable experience. 

I have a well woman exam next Friday, so that will be interesting as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've had several video/FaceTime appointments, and one phone appointment.  They all were very beneficial.

Next week I have an appointment with my opthamologist.  I'll wait in my car when I get there, they'll tell me when to come in.  Only one patient in the waiting room at a time.  Masks are required, temperature taken.  Paperwork was sent to me ahead of time so I just have to bring it rather than fill it out there.

I have other appointments coming up in June.  I'm not happy about going, but I think it's probably best to go now rather than later on as things open up more and waiting rooms, etc, are more crowded.  And I feel safer in a medical environment than a lot of other places.  But I'm still only going for appointments that are necessary and shouldn't be put off.