Valued Contributor

Re: Actual Doctor Visits --- Anyone Have Any Yet???

My husband had his physical a couple of weeks ago.  I was surprised they did not reschedule.  There was no waiting chairs spaced and turned to keep distance if anyone came in.  He did not need to wear a mask although the dr and nurse did.  He had a dental last week again the dr. and hygeneist wore their usual mask and gloves. 

I had an eye appt.  I have an ongoing condition and thought they would reschedule but did not.  I was met at the entry of the facility, temp taken, then laptop in entryway they logged me in and passed me directly to the girl.  They did not do the usual vision field test but did the eye scan and pressure check.  Dr. and assistant both wore masks, but no gloves.  

Honored Contributor

Because of medication, I must have blood drawn at Immunologist on Friday.

All possible precautions will be taken, but I wish it were not necessary.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

A virtual visit is the best we can do right now.

I had a visit today. It was a very good appointment. The visit was similar to being in her office.

Please call your doctor's office and schedule a tele-visit.  This will help you stay current with your care.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in NYC and I called our primary doctor to get prescription refills and he said he doesn't know when he will open.  On the other hand my hubby's podiatrist called to scheduled him to come in this week, he's diabetic.

I was thinking about my annual tests (and such, that is going to be challenging scheduling everything.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doctors offices began to reopen here last week and DH and I each had a visit.

I went to my dermatologist to have a precancer removed. It was originally scheduled for March 17, so I wanted to get to over with.  The fact that it was on my back meant that no one would be breathing in my face, which factored into my willingness to go. 

DH had a previously scheduled check up at our primary care doctor's office for a health condition that they are monitoring.  I went with him so that I could have my bloodwork done that was originally supposed to happen in March. The Quest tech sits in a little room right there in his office, so it was a quick in and out.  

In both cases we had to be masked and wait in the car until our turn.  We were met at the door and temperature was checked.  All in all, I felt it was handled as safely as possible. 

ETA I don't plan to have my teeth cleaned yet or see my eye doctor even though those are both due, because I just don't feel comfortable with such close face to face contact at this point. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

A friend of mine retired from urban planning and he pointed what our actual problem is.

All of my care is in large, interconnected complex.

So now I can not visit any doctor (elevator, two way stairs, group waiting), get a rx filled, go to the lab or have any treatment.

They are locked down and it took a freedom of information to get a count of covid patients there.

Endo, PCP, neurosurg, oncology, cardiologist, gyn and neurologist all gone with the wind.

Sole practices in single buildings may be booming.

@Still Raining 

Our primary care doctor is in a freestanding building with his own entrance, and they never closed.  I found this out when DH went in for his check up last week. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg 

My PC office just told me that I have a phone appointment next month.  Oh, wow!  That's so helpful.  After 6 months of no care at all - this will really be beneficial.  I told the girl - just ask her to renew my prescriptions and that's all. She said - no -- she will talk to you before she will do it.  A person could say anything -- I'm fine ---- so that doesn't prove anything.  Oh, well.  Don't mind me --- I'm just getting crabby!  Cat Sad

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm just wondering how and when the doctors will ever get caught up!  Seems like when they do open -- it will be bad because it might be crowded which would be worse yet --- or it might be months and months and months before you actually get to see a real doctor!  I was listening to yet another person on t.v. talking about all this and they said, yes, the virus takes center stage, which well it should, but there are many people with many serious issues who are not getting the mediical attention they deserve and need!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I had my gyno appointment in Mid-March in the middle of this stuff. No masks, just sitting apart in the waiting room. I washed my hands when I left and I'm still here to talk about it. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

My dermatologist was not in my plans but I really need to see him now because the back of my hands have been breaking out I'm not sure if it's the gloves, the sanitizer or a combo of both....unfortunately I have such sensitive skin.  I started using Gold Bond Eczema Relief lotion to control the irration and itch.