Super Contributor

Does anyone use Actemra for Temporal Arteritis or Large Cell Arteritis? I just started on it. Wow, is it ever expensive! One shot per week for $500.00 with insurance.

Respected Contributor

Is the $500.00 what you pay after insurance?

Contributor

I was on Actemra years ago for rheumatoid arthritis. All of companies that make these expensive biologic drugs have patient co-pay assistance programs for patients with commercial insurance (not Medicare, Medicaid, etc.) If you have commercial insurance, Google "Actemra patient financial assistance" and you will find a link to the site to enroll in their program. That will bring your co-pay down to $5. I am surprised your doctor did not mention this to you.

Trusted Contributor

@Nutzy wrote:

I was on Actemra years ago for rheumatoid arthritis. All of companies that make these expensive biologic drugs have patient co-pay assistance programs for patients with commercial insurance (not Medicare, Medicaid, etc.) If you have commercial insurance, Google "Actemra patient financial assistance" and you will find a link to the site to enroll in their program. That will bring your co-pay down to $5. I am surprised your doctor did not mention this to you.

Yes, absolutely this.

Good luck.  I've been on Actemra 12 years for my RA, it's been a lifesaver.  

Super Contributor

But thanks to all of your responses, I called Actemra and am in process to hopefully get the $5.00 co-pay. I need to have my Dr. call them to confirm my insurance. I'll let you know what happens.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Brigitta wrote:

But thanks to all of your responses, I called Actemra and am in process to hopefully get the $5.00 co-pay. I need to have my Dr. call them to confirm my insurance. I'll let you know what happens.

Good to hear - fingers crossed for you.

Super Contributor

An update: My doctor's office was able to get me into a program sponsered by the makers of Actemra. I now am getting the drug FREE instead of $500.00 a week. I am thrilled. So thanks to those of you who suggested that I ask the doctor for help in paying for it!

Trusted Contributor

@Brigitta That's wonderful news, I'm so happy for you. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.