Honored Contributor

Since acid reflux can be a pre-cursor to developing Barrett's Esophagus and esophageal cancer, I like to post the things I find that warn others of these dangers.

It's never too late to make dietary changes to improve your health.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been dealing with heartburn for the last several months.  Sadly, all of my favorite foods are on the "bad" list.  Woman Mad

Respected Contributor

I would like to recommend two books to those of us that deal with acid issues.  These books have helped me so very much!

Dropping Acid by Jamie Kaufman MD and Jordan Stern MD

The Acid Reflux Solution By Jorge  Rodriguez MD

They give so very many helpful tips and dietary advise with recipes.

For instance, green apples can be bad for us but red apples are okay.  Same with bell peppers, green= no but red are okay.   Lots of little tips that have been a blessing for me.  

Hope this can help!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

I have had esophageal problens for a while and this chart is correct.   I find apples and ginger to the most helpful.   Fatty foods are a real killer!    It is not only reflux but swallowing and digestion.   Not one of those "popular" conditions that have people donating to fight for a cure, though.   

Respected Contributor

And for me, no processed foods.  In order to preserve food it must be acidified in some way.   Citric Acid seems to be in everything!  

And I never drink carbonated drinks.  I had to have an examination of my esophagus and in order to dialated it I had to drink a fizzy solution made with some crystals in liquid.  Like alka seltzer on steroids!🤣🤣. So I know all carbonation can be bad.  

It it is difficult for me since I love many of the foods I can no longer tolerate but I try my best.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

I have had esophageal problens for a while and this chart is correct.   I find apples and ginger to the most helpful.   Fatty foods are a real killer!    It is not only reflux but swallowing and digestion.   Not one of those "popular" conditions that have people donating to fight for a cure, though.   

@NYwoman

In case people are not aware, there is an organization working towards this fight.  ECAN is the name.

Honored Contributor

Re: Acid Reflux Diet

[ Edited ]

Although I don't have it, my Ma and husband did.

I just wanted to add that sometimes timing is everything.  My Ma was a die hard tea drinker and if she limited her consumption in the evenings it went better for her.

My husband wouldn't eat chocolate candy/cake after 6 pm.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It can be triggered by medications. Metformin is know for it

A fodmap diet can be a great help to you. Also, elevate the head of your bed, because, lying down, makes it worse for some.

I do intermittent fasting  and also drink a lot of water to wash the acid down as per my Dr

I have been taking a probiotic ,called goodbelly ,that has help me a great deal

Honored Contributor

If one eats off the ‘GOOD’ list (except coconut),

there’s A greater than zero chance medications 

would be reduced. Eating the ‘BAD’ list causes

a lot of inflammation. Reduce the inflammation

and the body heals naturally. 

Honored Contributor

As of last night, I've learned to go light on the spaghetti sauce.