Esteemed Contributor

Re: About sleep after retirement....ZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz How is yours??

I used to go to bed at 9p / 9:30p when I was working because I had to get up at 5:30a, it took me awhile to adjust but slowly I started staying up later and later and now I go to bed at 1a or later and wake up around 8:30a. I love it, especially now that the weather is cooler and I don't have to go out.

Honored Contributor

Retired in 1991 and sleep how much and whenever I choose. Of course spending many weeks of that time in the hospital? When and how many hours I sleep is not, nor has ever been a concern for me. Working all night shifts for many years, one has to adjust to sleeping other than the typical hours working
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've always been an "early to bed, early to rise" sort of person but after I retired I got in the bad habit of going to bed around 2am and sleeping until 10 or 11am. It's very hard to get much done when you waste half the day sleeping but I can't seem to break the habit. I've tried going to bed earlier but I just can't go to sleep.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have taken Ambien prior to my retirement. When I finished "mentalpause" my sleep problems started. I just could not fall asleep - PERIOD.

I now go to bed around 10:30 after I've taken my Ambien. I set the sleep timer for one hour and most times I'm sleeping by the time it goes off. If I don't have to get up during the night to wee, I sleep until about 7 or 8. Sometimes, I wake up at 5:30 and I refuse to get up that early so, I have a small dose of Xanax by the bed that I sometimes use.

I tried Tylenol p.m. and some of the OTC which all contain Benadryl and they make me feel like I've been out drinking all night.

It's just the way it is and I am resigned to it. I have never had any strange episodes that you read about with taking Ambien.

Super Contributor

I retired just four years ago. I've always been a great sleeper ... never had a problem.

My habit is to read a bit when I get into bed ... and then to sleep. I usually have a nap mid-afternoon.

Coffee doesn't keep me awake.

Super Contributor

Annabella you might want to try a light snack before bed since you eat early. This could make you more relaxed so you'll have a restful sleep. Nothing heavy or spicy. Also you could try staying up an hour later and see if you still wake up at 2:30, or if you sleep longer. Good luck to you. Sleep is so important!

Esteemed Contributor

Aside from post-surgical issues (back-workers' comp) which sometimes wake me, I get as much sleep as my body wants.

Before retiring in 2013, I had to arise at 0430, work a looooong day w/o overtime and come home exhausted. Did this for years. Never felt rested, because I could never truly relaxed physically or mentally.

Now I can go to bed when I want and get up when I want, except those days when we have our granddaughter.

For those of us who had major management and/or leadership roles, the off-lifting of those responsibilities and burdens has been unbelievable.

Re physical problems that may be keeping you awake, in 2009 I finally went to a shoulder Ortho, as left shoulder pain was waking me up 5-6 times per night. I was already working this insane schedule, so had to get this checked out. Doc said I had two shoulder issues, both of which required surgery, if I was ever to get another night of sleep without this pain interruption. I had the surgery and wah-lah, no more waking up at night with that horrible pain.

If you haven't done so already, check with your doc to find out what it is that is interrupting your sleep.

Oh, and re Tempurpedic matresses, please know that this is a FIRM matress. I made the mistake of purchasing one, only to find out that the last thing my body needed was a firm matress. That was an expensive lesson learned. While you've looking, check out "Sweda" matresses.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

i am so lucky. i have been blessed with the gift of good sleep. and i don't take it for granted either. i am grateful every single day for this, because i do know that things can change suddenly. for now, i am enjoying!

i am someone who needs 8 hours of sleep at a bare minimum. i was pretty rigid about that when i was working because i knew that was what my body needs. after retirement, i slept for 10 hours SOLID every night for a month. then it was 9 hours for about a month, and now i guess i have caught up because i am back to 8 hrs a night.

i drink a cup of coffee at night before bed. i read for a few minutes, but then am out like a light ... within five or ten minutes of turning off the light, i am asleep. i always wake up to make a bathroom visit at least once and sometimes twice, and am able to go right back to sleep.

i do wish you luck with your sleep issues and hope that you are able to find a pattern that works for you!

Honored Contributor

Not much has changed in my sleep pattern since retirement as of dec 31 2012. Hubby still works so we retire anytime b/t 9-10PM. We'll crack up the tempurpedic, get comfy, turn on the tv (yes I know there should not be a tv in the bedroom but we do). We'll both fall asleep soon thereafter so I turn the tv off, crank down a bit, out.

He wakes up usually anywhere 2-4 times to use the bathrm. Sometimes I stir, other times not. I WILL NOT get up b/c it is my belief once you start this pattern you then begin to automatically wake at the same time needing to get up. I refuse to get myself into that pattern. He on the other hand has so worked himself into waking up patterns it's just insane.

I sleep very well anymore but because hubby still needs to get up early for work, the alarm still goes off at the same time it did when I worked (530A). I do get up with him regardless b/c I feel badly that I'm still in bed and he HAS to get up.

Esteemed Contributor

What about trying something like aleeve pm. It has a sleep aid in it.