Honored Contributor

@blackhole99

Just an FYI in case you are interested. I was on Coumadin and then on the generic, Warfarin, for 7+ years. Was originally on Lopressor for several years and then the much cheaper Metropolol, which for me, that generic worked exactly the same as LoPressor.

Just throwing that out in case you are interested.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Generic drugs are exactly the same drug - just manufactured by a different company.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Generic drugs are exactly the same drug - just manufactured by a different company.

The active ingredient is the same, the fillers differ & different fillers can cause issues for some people, I'm one of them.

Trusted Contributor

Hi - I had cryoballoon ablation for AFIB a little over a year ago.  My procedure was a little over three hours long.  So far I've done pretty well.  It takes quite awhile for your heart to recover from this procedure.  For me it wasn't a complete cure, but it is alot better than it was.  My AFIB kicks up once in awhile, but not like before.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ablation for A-fib

[ Edited ]

@sgraham30 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The active ingredient is the same, the fillers differ & different fillers can cause issues for some people, I'm one of them.

@sgraham30

I totally agree with you and that is why I said in my FYI that "they worked for me".  From 2 doctors in my own family and several as close friends? They all have told that generics do not work for many of their patients.

Being around hundreds of patients in the Cancer Center/Heart Center for hours in waiting areas, many have mentioned that changing to generics created problems not present when taking the Brand Name Pharmaceuticals.

I will go with what I know works for me and what does not.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Ablation for A-fib

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@sgraham30 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@sgraham30

I totally agree with you and that is why I said in my FYI that "they worked for me".  From 2 doctors in my own family and several as close friends? They all have told that generics do not work for many of their patients.

Being around hundreds of patients in the Cancer Center/Heart Center for hours in waiting areas, many have mentioned that changing to generics created problems not present when taking the Brand Name Pharmaceuticals.

I will go with what I know works for me and what does not.

hckynut(john)

Hi John,

I agree with you 110%. What annoys me is when you're doing well on a medication then the pharmacy changes manufacturers for that medication. 

When you have your rx refilled & start taking the new rx, you have all sorts of issues that you didn't have with the previous medication that you'd been taking.

Then when you call the pharmacy to advise them of your issues, the pharmacist tells you that's impossible, you shouldn't be having any side effects, this medication is exactly the same as the one you were taking before. 

When when you point out the the fillers are different & the potency of the active ingredient in the medication could be 10%-20% higher or lower that what you'd previously been taking, the only response you get is "whatever."

Over the years I've learned what does & doesn't work for me & will only take what I know works for me.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it was an old thread