Frequent Contributor

Has anyone had or know anyone who has had the ablation procedure for A-fib? My cardiologist has recommended it for me.  I would appreciate any input.  TIA

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Spoiler
Check out PacemakersClub.com, lots of information in the forums. Everyone is very friendly and will share their experiences with you.

hth
Honored Contributor

I think this is a realtively new proceedure. I'd also like to have more information about it. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is not a new procedure at all. If you want information about it , you need to ask your doctor.That is part of his job.

Respected Contributor

my mother -  now of blessed memory -  had it after an incident where the a-fib could not be controlled.  up until then, they relied on meds.  after the procedure -  which she had in her 70's -  her incidents were much diminished.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is not a new procedure. Two friends had this - it worked well for one and she feels great. The other had it done and said there was no difference and has had other procedures done since.

If you are not sure, sit with your doctor and discuss the procedure, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@neetsPA  DH had ablation about 11 years ago after a stroke.  It was a 6 hour operation. Eventually he was off all blood thinners. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is not a new procedure and is quite effective for most.  But, as someone stated, you must sit down with your doctor and discuss YOUR medical history and implications.  Please don't look to a fashion forum for medical advice.  Many will give you good advice and are well meaning but there is a lot of misinformation and bias I have seen posted.  Read articles about the procedure on reputable and accurate sources like the American Heart Assoc.  website, NIH etc.  But, your doctor is the best source and may even refer you to someone else who has had the procedure. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Ablation for A-fib

[ Edited ]

Yes, I know of someone who had it close to 2 years ago, went to Johns Hopkins, it was very quick, and just an overnight hospital stay. She says it was not a miracle cure, and still takes Pradaxa, but she does lead a very full, active life.  She is in her early 70's.

Respected Contributor

My GD had the procedure in 2008.  She had problems most of her life due to a birth defect.  I asked her just last month if she thought it was worth it.  She said she would do it again without any hesitation. 

I also knew a co-worker who had it done while in his 60's.  One day at work we had to call 911 and he was taken to the hospital.  He had the procedure, and said it was the best thing he could have done. 

I also have a long time friend who had the procedure last year.

So it's not that new, and getting to be a fairly common procedure.