Respected Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU STOP HAVING A

@bathina wrote:

I'm not quite sure, but if you're still having sex isn't it possible to contract HPV? I hear it's practically an epidemic! HPV causes cervical cancer and a pap test will find that. I'm monogomous, assume my husband is too...But I still get the test every couple of years. I can't see the downside except a couple minutes of discomfort.

I had my last one at 63. I'm now 65. Last year when my GYN didn't do one he told me that HPV caused cervical cancer and as long as Dh and I were monogamous I no longer needed one. I mentioned it to my friend who's been a OB/GYN hospital nurse for over 30 years and when she saw him at the hospital she questioned him about it. He gave her the reasoning behind it but she said she didn't agree. I'm going for my yearly GYN exam in September and I plan on asking for one. I'm monogamous and assume dh is too but don't see any harm in having the test. For years I went to a breast surgeon to have my breast examined after having a benign lump removed back in 1994. She retired a couple of years ago. I can examine my own breast so if I don't have a pap, I see no need to see the GYN unless a problem should arise. I'll still have my mammography but I can get a script for that from my primary.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@tends2dogs

Am I the only one who makes up titles before they open?

AT WHAT AGE DID YOU STOP HAVING A....

- hissyfit?

- care in the world?

- period?

- (n) alarm clock to wake yourself?

- giggle over the silliest things?

- playlist of current music & just listen to the oldies but goodies?

on & on....!

AMIRITE???

🌼💛

@sidsmomHa!  I could think of one more but sure as shoot the mods wouldn't like it. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I'm not quite sure, but if you're still having sex isn't it possible to contract HPV? I hear it's practically an epidemic! HPV causes cervical cancer and a pap test will find that. I'm monogomous, assume my husband is too...But I still get the test every couple of years. I can't see the downside except a couple minutes of discomfort.

I had my last one at 63. I'm now 65. Last year when my GYN didn't do one he told me that HPV caused cervical cancer and as long as Dh and I were monogamous I no longer needed one. I mentioned it to my friend who's been a OB/GYN hospital nurse for over 30 years and when she saw him at the hospital she questioned him about it. He gave her the reasoning behind it but she said she didn't agree. I'm going for my yearly GYN exam in September and I plan on asking for one. I'm monogamous and assume dh is too but don't see any harm in having the test. For years I went to a breast surgeon to have my breast examined after having a benign lump removed back in 1994. She retired a couple of years ago. I can examine my own breast so if I don't have a pap, I see no need to see the GYN unless a problem should arise. I'll still have my mammography but I can get a script for that from my primary.

@Starpolisher

Even if any couple is both monogamous, that doesn't guarantee a woman can't get cancer.   HPV certainly isn't the only source.  

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,  your comments are sweet and well-intented I am sure. I was so hurt (practically destroyed) by love that I have decided my life is more peaceful alone. I miss elements of what is lost but I do not miss the pain that accompanies the enjoyment. I accept things the way they are.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Starpolisher

Even if any couple is both monogamous, that doesn't guarantee a woman can't get cancer.   HPV certainly isn't the only source.  

@Tinkrbl44 

No,  but according to my doctor and the U.S. Preventive Service Task Force, the virus HPV is largely, if not exclusively, responsible for changes in the cells of the cervix, or abnormal pap smears. Nothing can guarantee you won't get cancer and as I said, I do plan on asking to have a pap smear done. 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I would hope your doctor will take your word about the bruising.  There are other ways of testing.  Like I said before, 3D is an option.  Not many doctors are going to suggest Thermogram. 

I know what you mean about the blood bruises.  My DH and I get them so easily now a days.  I think it comes with getting older. 

Like I said before, talk with your doctor about this.  Don't worry about it until September.  Life is too short for that.  You and your doctor will come up with a solution. 

All the best~

@tends2dogs

Thank you!  You're very kind!!!  I am worrying already I admit.  It comes in my mind and I immediately start to get nervous and upset.  This bruising thing is such an issue.  I walk around always on alert but still I bruise and bruise.  I sure hope they can offer an alternative solution, but I have my doubts.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

about 3 years ago because I had a complete hysterectomy so there is no need.  I do still have an internal exam though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@BirkiLady

you wrote:<< If you truly had a hysterectomy, why would you have gone through menopause? There was no menopause following a hysterectomy for mom or any of my friends having such surgeries. They do have mammograms annually.>>

I had a hysterectomy at a relatively young age  not long after birth

of second child.  I did not have ovaries removed.  Removal of uterus only is called "a complete hysterectomy".

Therefore, no menopause until I got old enough for ovaries to completely dry up and not even be seen during any type of imaging..  I was old by then and went through meno at a normal age.

For reasons stated earlier, I do not have regular mammograms--------too much radiation exposure is just too much if not indicated as necesary.

Any suggestion that I take hormones (ever) would be a definite NO for me.  I have too many friends who started taking those at a young age and wound up with cancer.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS ONLY.  Everyone else needs to follow a doctor's advice or their own opinions.

A hysterectomy is a GYN surgery procedure, which simply refers to the removal of the uterus, including the cervix. The terms “partial hysterectomy” and “total hysterectomy” are commonly used by non-medical people but are not technically accurate. Partial hysterectomy usually refers to removal of only the uterus.

There was nothing "unkind" about the previous reply given regarding a hysterectomy and an oophorectomy.  Many people think when someone says they had a complete hysterectomy, that means their ovaries were also removed but that's not the case.  My complete hysterectomy included the removal of my fallopian tubes because my surgeon said that researchers are finding that more and more cases of ovarian cancer start in the fallopian tubes. 

If someone had no signs or symptoms of menopause, count your blessings.  I have no idea why someone would think because you have a hysterectomy, complete or partial, that you wouldn't go through menopause. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@mimilucy wrote:

Stopped when my sex life ended (sadly that was age 52).

@mimilucy

???   Your sex life never "stops" until you die.  If you are capable of loving someone, you shouldn't give up.

Sometimes people's partner dies or leaves them or is ill and they don't want to be with anyone else.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

about 3 years ago because I had a complete hysterectomy so there is no need.  I do still have an internal exam though. 

Since you've had a hysterectomy I'm curious why you still have an internal exam.I'd ask the doctor why.