Respected Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU STOP HAVING A

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My last physical at age 60.  I was not thrilled with having to have a pap test done but it had been about 4 years  so my doctor suggested I have one...... I have never had a  positive test for anything bad  my entire life.  This last test was the same. 

@SeaMaiden:  Did I miss your post about your guests coming to your home?  I was excited to see who they were.  

Esteemed Contributor

As long as you are sexually active, shouldn't you be having an annual pap test and exam? Shouldn't mammograms be done annually at any age? 

Great questions, but am I the only one still going at age 70, with plans to continue for many years ahead?

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady

Annual mammograms?  

I'm 70 and have had two or maybe three in my entire life.  I am in the camp that you play with fire exposing oneself to radiation that frequently.  And I told a general practitioner doctor that very same thing just two weeks ago, who was seeing me for the first time and recommendng every test in the book.

Have had a lifetime of dental Xrays, bone Xrays for various reasons (including DEXA scans) , lung Xrays. 

Enough already (!) and only if something seriously  and  obviously calls for that.

Radiation is cumulative.  Too much over time is too much.

My BIL has cancer, is a radiologist, and has not opted for radiation to make sure he is free of cancer after surgery.  He thinks he  knows better.  He thinks there is no point in exposing a body to more abuse.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

As long as you are sexually active, shouldn't you be having an annual pap test and exam? Shouldn't mammograms be done annually at any age? 

Great questions, but am I the only one still going at age 70, with plans to continue for many years ahead?

A PAP test is done to look for cervical cancer - you can get cervical cancer without being sexually active. Being or not being sexually active has nothing to do with needing to see your gyne once a year - as long as you still have your female parts. My gyne doc never did a pap test after I had my hystertectomy, and after I was through menopause he told me I did not need to see him again, unless I developed a problem that was in his area of expertise, which was fine with me.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949  If you truly had a hysterectomy, why would you have gone through menopause? There was no menopause following a hysterectomy for mom or any of my friends having such surgeries. They do have mammograms annually.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@151949  If you truly had a hysterectomy, why would you have gone through menopause? There was no menopause following a hysterectomy for mom or any of my friends having such surgeries. They do have mammograms annually.

A hysterectomy does not mean you had your ovaries removed - that is an oopherectomy. If you still have your ovaries - or even just one ovary you will go through menopause at the appropriate age.

If you have both a hysterectomy and an oopherectomy you experience surgical menopause. Depending on your age at that time you may or may not be advised to start taking hormones because a too early menopause can lead to other things associated with early aging - like osteoporosis.

ALL women should have a yearly mammogram but I don't know the age they say to start as they keep changing that.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because because it is argumentative

Respected Contributor

I'm not quite sure, but if you're still having sex isn't it possible to contract HPV? I hear it's practically an epidemic! HPV causes cervical cancer and a pap test will find that. I'm monogomous, assume my husband is too...But I still get the test every couple of years. I can't see the downside except a couple minutes of discomfort.

Respected Contributor

Ewww imo.....tmi

GIF LUCY DISGUSTED.gif

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

I do both of the tests,