Honored Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU STOP HAVING A

[ Edited ]

I just had my last one done this week. I'm 62 and my doc told me that unless things come back abnormal then that will be the last one I'll ever have to do again. They also took a sample for HPV testing...this was something new for me so I asked and yes, it's been newly added to the exam with the PAP now.

Here are the facts:

https://www.cancer.gov/types/cervical/pap-hpv-testing-fact-sheet

Esteemed Contributor

My OBGYN is turing 80 this year and even though he was sharp as a tack last year.......I think I am done with going for pap smears. He is too old and I only kept going because I didn't want to change drs...

I never had a negatve one or any issues..... and I am 63

I also lost my 'good' ins last year and my deducible is high....

Honored Contributor

I had a hysterectomy at 32 and stopped having pelvic exams at 50 six years ago.  Just got tired of the whole thing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I haven't had one in several years and I'm 55.  No more period; I can't justify going anymore.  Besides, I HATE it.  If I start bleeding or something falls out, that's when I'll go again.

Also, I only had two mammograms.  One at age 40 and one at age 41.  I stopped because they were painful and they left me very bruised.  Then I read that it is very, very bad for breast tissue to be bruised.  So no more mammograms.  I do self checks.  To be honest with you, I truly believe it's the mammogram itself that gives women breast cancer.  You can disagree all you want, but I'll never get another ever again.  

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I haven't had one in several years and I'm 55.  No more period; I can't justify going anymore.  Besides, I HATE it.  If I start bleeding or something falls out, that's when I'll go again.

Also, I only had two mammograms.  One at age 40 and one at age 41.  I stopped because they were painful and they left me very bruised.  Then I read that it is very, very bad for breast tissue to be bruised.  So no more mammograms.  I do self checks.  To be honest with you, I truly believe it's the mammogram itself that gives women breast cancer.  You can disagree all you want, but I'll never get another ever again.  

@Qshopper1991  Do you get yearly check ups?  What does your doctor say?  I agree about the mammograms - they aren't fun.  I haven't had one for 15 years.  The last one, they kept sending me in because they couldn't get a clear reading.  I had had it and told the tech I was done.  They would have to work with the pictures they had taken.  The tech was not patient or gentle.  It was a bad experience.  I have had Thermograms every year since.  There is no touching or squeezing into a lucite box.  LOL 

Thanks for stating your opinion.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  The clinic I go to (a preventive clinic) has always done this test.  Hope your tests come out good and you don't have to do another Pap test.

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs

I actually get thermography done also Smiley Happy  Insurance doesn't cover it so I have to pay out of pocket for it, but that's okay.  As long as nothing is pressing on my boobs, I'm good  Smiley Happy

And no, I don't do paps anymore either.  I always hated going to the OBGYN.  I know my body very well. 

I always say when it's time for the good Lord to take me home, He will do so.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get pelvic exams routinely but I had a hysterectomy at 37 so I haven't had or needed a pap smear since then.  My bff is 71 and she said that she no longer needs pap smears.  If a woman is 65 and had 3 negative paps smears in a row, she can stop them.  I think that's the general rule but I'm sure there are doctors who don't agree with that.  

Esteemed Contributor

I like your attitude, @Qshopper1991Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @tends2dogs  Smiley Happy  I know where I'm spending eternity.  Looks like you do, too Smiley Happy  xo

Respected Contributor

I had one last year and my doc says I don't need another PAP or pelvic exam for 5 years unless I have symptoms of some sort that would indicate otherwise. I'm in my 50's. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~