Super Contributor

Re: ARTHRITIS PAIN, WHO KNEW?

Boron; have only been taking this for about 3 weeks but I do see some improvement in my pain. I was recently diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. 

The shot in the spine doesn't appeal to me, so I chose PT with an anti-inflammatory, meloxicam. I'm only taking the meloxican about 1 -2 times a week now. I'm hopeful with this added Boron and the spine exercises, this disease will progress more slowly.

Best wishes!!

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP -You have posted here more than once that you are on narcotic pain meds. What do you think is going to be any better than those?

Super Contributor

@151949... I think you have me confused with another poster. I am NOT on narcotic pain meds.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was addressing the OP - Lindsays Grandma. Sorry for the confusion.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I think whomever can come up with a successful pain management without hurting the body or mind will be a millionaire.

I have it in both knees (years of sports and 3 operations) and when I overdo it (that means not sitting) my knees ache, feel like I have sharp things in them and they won't bend without pain.  I use (rotating) Aleve, Aspirin, Advil or Tylonal.  I try not using anything, but that's not always possible.  I also swear by Tommy Copper (it's a specific brand that has copper threads in every thread in the item rather than sewing in little copper metal disks.  I have them for my knees and hands (without fingers)...  it gives me the compression my knees need and the heat I generate helps the copper activate and I do feel relief....

Good luck.      

Thanks for posting that. I've wondered about Tommy Copper.

Can't you get total knee replacements?

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma and anyone who is interested/curious:

panaceaepione dotcom

has the roll-on balm. They sell lotion, soap, a CBD-only roll-on and the one I have, which does contain THC.

Anyone can purchase the CBD-only product(s). If you want to purchase the balm I have you need to fill out a form online and send (email) them a copy of your official recommendation. The THC balm also, sadly, appears to be able to be sold to CA residents only.  I'm not sure of the reason, but products do not seem to be sold across state lines, even to legal states. I've run into it before. Seems a shame :-( I have written and asked them. Will be curious as to the answer.

There is good general info on the site too.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Hi q girl... On Monday morning 7/10 at 8:00 a.m. my phone rang.  Normally I would not answer the phone if it rings at that hour but my daughter was up and she answered it.  It was the young lady who works for the pain management clinic I go to and she asked for me.  My daughter handed me the phone and the voice said, "I need you to come in today at eleven o'clock for a pill count", not even a good morning, how are you.  I haven't been driving since my hip surgery in 2015, I depend on my daughter to take me where I have to go and they know that. 

My response to her was I have no way to get there to which she responded I will not be in compliance and can be cut off and hung up.  My scheduled appointment is tomorrow and I have a few choice words for my PA whom, by the way is a sweetheart.  In the 16 years of pain management no one has ever asked for a pill count, this is something new and I find it insulting and degrading.

Long story short, I am giving serious consideration to do what you did.  You mentioned you have a lozenge, I would appreciate it if you tell me the name of it.  I am assuming it is in the marijuana family and want to check it out on line.  I had a Marijuana card, never used it and it is now expired and will apply for one again.  Pain management, for what it has become, is very difficult for those of us who need it.  The nay sayers, the ones who believe all of us are drug addicts have no idea what it is like to live with high levels of pain day after day making life at times unbearable.  I don't take pills and wear a pain patch to get a  high, I use them for relief so I can function as so many others do.  I can't thank you enough for your post, it has given me hope for another avenue to go down to relieve my pain.  God Bless you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

q girl...I just posted a thread in the Wellness column for you, please look for it. Heart

@q-girl wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma I have recently made this journey. This time last year I was taking Oxycodone 30mg 4xday,  OxyContin 20mg 2xday,  Fentanyl patch 25mcg, along with Celebrex, Topamax, Savella, Zanzflex, and meds for sleep. I was taking these for Fibromyalgia and for Degenerative Spine disease which resulted in radiculopathy to both lower extremities, my right arm, and pain & numbness in my right shoulder, neck and face. Despite the meds I was in constant pain. I returned to my original Pain Management doctor (who I left in 2010 due to an insurance change) who felt that I would do much better on medicinal marijuana since the narcotics were obviously no longer effective for me. She placed me into the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program. From November until March we slowly weaned the narcotics until all that was left was Oxycodone 30 mg 3xday. At that time I started on the Medical Marijuana. I take in the form of a lozenge that dissolves under my tongue. It dissolves quickly, provides excellent pain control WITHOUT any " high" or the nasty side effects of the narcotics. Presently, I have continued to wean the Oxycodone to 15mg 3xday, I no longer take muscle relaxers or sleeping meds, and I take only half the dose of Celebrex as previously. I do not live in a fog. 

This was a life changing experience in a positive way for me. I live with minimal pain, I sleep through the night, I am no longer cranky every day.

I hope my experience sheds some light on this issue for you.

Wihsing you the best with this . . . .and hugs !!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

About fifteen years ago a doctor told me I had arthritis on my knees because, as he said, they were swollen, news to me!!  Well, two days ago I began to experience terrible pain and stiffness, particularly on the right leg.  Back in 2000 and 2001 I had three back surgeries, all failures leaving me with back pain, sciatic pain plus hip pain from surgery in 2015, all centered in the right leg and that is probably why the arthritis pain is worse in that leg.

I know there must be arthritis sufferers here and I would like to know how it is treated.  Unfortunately my pain management clinic can't help me with that and I won't be able to see my primary care doctor until the 20th of the month.  In the meantime I am curious as what kind of medication is given to ease this new pain.  Thanks to all of you in advance for your comments. Heart

About 6 months ago I noticed pain in my right foot. The toe "knuckles" looked a little enlarged too. I have slight arthritis in 2 fingers on left hand & Accupuncture over a 6 week period helped and cured the pain although he said I may have to return every 6-8 months for a tune up. So I went for Accupuncture on my foot as well. Yes, it helps. No walking barefoot (which I always do) & no slippers. He suggested wearing a more structured sneaker for around the house...I purchased Sketchers slip on sneakers. So far so good. Of course the down side is Medicare does not cover Accupuncture. 

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma, unless you live in the same state as q-girl, you probably wouldn't be able to buy exactly what she has - although if she gives the name you can look it up and go for something similar in your area.

For whatever reason, the companies that make cannabis products don't generally (not at all, that I've seen) sell in other (legal) states, and many only sell in certain areas, i.e. a company that sells in SoCal doesn't necessarily sell in NorCal, and in Central Coast I can only buy from local people. It partly depends on how large the company is.

I came across mention yesterday of a "new" (except it isn't of course) herb effective for certain types of pain - especially neuropathy - anyone with nerve pain. 

Google - corydalis yan hu suo

I can't post links because they have adverts in them. There was a recent study done jointly between a facility in China and Univ California Irvine (medical school) that showed via US testing protocol that it works - and doctors recommend that their patients try it. Dr Oz has recommended it, but I wouldn't credit that, myself - he recommends all kinds of ****. But people reviewing the herb say their doctors told them to try it out. You can buy on Amazon and it's $12-$20.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all