Esteemed Contributor

About fifteen years ago a doctor told me I had arthritis on my knees because, as he said, they were swollen, news to me!!  Well, two days ago I began to experience terrible pain and stiffness, particularly on the right leg.  Back in 2000 and 2001 I had three back surgeries, all failures leaving me with back pain, sciatic pain plus hip pain from surgery in 2015, all centered in the right leg and that is probably why the arthritis pain is worse in that leg.

I know there must be arthritis sufferers here and I would like to know how it is treated.  Unfortunately my pain management clinic can't help me with that and I won't be able to see my primary care doctor until the 20th of the month.  In the meantime I am curious as what kind of medication is given to ease this new pain.  Thanks to all of you in advance for your comments. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ARTHRITIS PAIN, WHO KNEW?

Medical cannabis helps DH with RA.

Honored Contributor

I think whomever can come up with a successful pain management without hurting the body or mind will be a millionaire.

I have it in both knees (years of sports and 3 operations) and when I overdo it (that means not sitting) my knees ache, feel like I have sharp things in them and they won't bend without pain.  I use (rotating) Aleve, Aspirin, Advil or Tylonal.  I try not using anything, but that's not always possible.  I also swear by Tommy Copper (it's a specific brand that has copper threads in every thread in the item rather than sewing in little copper metal disks.  I have them for my knees and hands (without fingers)...  it gives me the compression my knees need and the heat I generate helps the copper activate and I do feel relief....

Good luck.      

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

If it is legal where you live, I completely agree with @patbz. There are many types of cannabis and many ways of using/taking it, and doctors who specialize in medical marijuana patients who can guide people to products. Using a cannabis product does not need to make you high.

There is also a derivative of cannabis called CBD. Pure CBD (without any psychoactive agents) is legally able to be sold and mailed to all 50 states. It also helps arthritis pain. It's not cheap :-(

I use both types because I am in California, and both types help me. I have a topical roll-on product that contains both. When my knees or ankles are hurting I apply it and within 15-20 min my pain is gone. I never feel a single thing but relief of pain. I was at a friend's house on the 4th. She mention that the time I'd let her use the roll-on for pain she had, she was without pain for *three days.*

Other than that, most doctors recommend prescription strength ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen sodium (Aleve), but these are not great things to take daily over a long period of time for multiple reasons. Since I started using pure CBD and cannabis my Advil use has literally dropped 90%.

There are also various OTC and prescription creams and rubs.I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations for those.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The doctor you need to see is a rheumatologist.  If you must have a referral to see one, ask your PCP on your next appointment.  There are many things he might suggest to relieve pain after he evaluates your condition. 

FYI:  I recently read a study that said Tylenol has been proven ineffective in treating arthritis pain, which I always found to be true.  In fact none of the OTC ointments or pills ever helped me. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I am sorry that you are having arthritis pain.  I am not a doctor, but I can tell you some natural things that have worked for me personally. 

First of all, eliminating Nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, eggplants, green and red pepers, and potatoes) really helps.  I tried it for a week and could not believe the difference.

I try to eat anti-inflammatory foods like salmon and blueberries.

As far as dietary supplements go, I have found that Terry Naturally's Curamed or Curamin are very helpful as is Wobenzyme (enzymes).  As with any supplement, you will want to get your doctor's approval before taking it.  Like pharmaceutical NSAIDs, even natural supplements can cause problems like rises in blood pressure, stomach irritation, and etc.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@patbz  yes! If cannabis had been available and LEGAL as it is now in the state of Washington back years ago when I was in dire pain from my knees and my hips I would have bought that rather than eat aspirin and ruin my stomach.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was diagnosed with 2 kinds of arthritis in 2002.....nothing has been successful with pain relief....i currently have $2,000 worth of Humira in my frig......that didn't work, either......i'm thinking about doing research on cannabis......

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@patbz  yes! If cannabis had been available and LEGAL as it is now in the state of Washington back years ago when I was in dire pain from my knees and my hips I would have bought that rather than eat aspirin and ruin my stomach.  

It's very difficult to convince people to try it, when all their lives most baby boomers and the generation after have either been taught to regard it with horror, or remember only the uncontrolled, unregulated weed of the 60s. People are still positive that the only reason anyone would use it is to get high, and that if they use it at all they will soon be addicted or go on to harder substances.

I think that if a person ever had to care for someone with terminal cancer or severe ongoing pain, they'd change their mind. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@patbz wrote:

It's very difficult to convince people to try it, when all their lives most baby boomers and the generation after have either been taught to regard it with horror, or remember only the uncontrolled, unregulated weed of the 60s. People are still positive that the only reason anyone would use it is to get high, and that if they use it at all they will soon be addicted or go on to harder substances.

I think that if a person ever had to care for someone with terminal cancer or severe ongoing pain, they'd change their mind. 

@Moonchilde  And for pets in pain as well! Many companies are formulating cannabis for dogs and cats .