Honored Contributor

Re: ARTHRITIS PAIN, WHO KNEW?

I have arthritis in my back and knees.  I have tried many things, both prescription and Aleve, Advil and Tylenol Arthritis.  Nothing has helped me.  I've tried Mobic and Celebrex (prescription) and others.  I've also tried creams on my knees and patches on my back.  I have had cortisone shots in my knees.  That really helped a lot but only lasted two months, so I've only had them a couple of times.  There is another injection that the doctor discussed with me, but my insurance at the time wouldn't pay for them.  I am now on Medicare and may look into them again.  I can't remember the name of it though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

q-girl, When the DEA scared the pants off pain management doctors and clinics and all patients had their meds lowered you would have thought I was a walking pharmacy.  I was on Oxycodone 20mg five times a day and the Fentanyl Patch 100mcg every 48 hours.  My doctor was reluctant to take my meds down as low the DEA would have liked so he indicated in my records because of my age and pain level he made an exception and only reduced the Patch down to 75mcg

@q-girl wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma I have recently made this journey. This time last year I was taking Oxycodone 30mg 4xday,  OxyContin 20mg 2xday,  Fentanyl patch 25mcg, along with Celebrex, Topamax, Savella, Zanzflex, and meds for sleep. I was taking these for Fibromyalgia and for Degenerative Spine disease which resulted in radiculopathy to both lower extremities, my right arm, and pain & numbness in my right shoulder, neck and face. Despite the meds I was in constant pain. I returned to my original Pain Management doctor (who I left in 2010 due to an insurance change) who felt that I would do much better on medicinal marijuana since the narcotics were obviously no longer effective for me. She placed me into the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program. From November until March we slowly weaned the narcotics until all that was left was Oxycodone 30 mg 3xday. At that time I started on the Medical Marijuana. I take in the form of a lozenge that dissolves under my tongue. It dissolves quickly, provides excellent pain control WITHOUT any " high" or the nasty side effects of the narcotics. Presently, I have continued to wean the Oxycodone to 15mg 3xday, I no longer take muscle relaxers or sleeping meds, and I take only half the dose of Celebrex as previously. I do not live in a fog. 

This was a life changing experience in a positive way for me. I live with minimal pain, I sleep through the night, I am no longer cranky every day.

I hope my experience sheds some light on this issue for you.

Wihsing you the best with this . . . .and hugs !!

every 72 hours and left the Oxycodone where it was.   If you were on what you were taking when the you know what hit the fan I would hate to think how far your meds would have been taken down.  Your pain level would have increased due to not getting what you needed in order to be comfortable.

I applaud you for getting off the meds and switching to marijuana.  Was there much discomfort in the weaning process? My PC Dr, said there will be some discomfort and I'll discuss it in more detail next week.  Thank you for the good wishes, I am happy for you in that your switch was successful and you are in a better place. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Moonchilde, I know personally that if one ingests marijuana while taking narcotics an overdose can occur.  Note, I used the word ingest.   Using any kind of rubbing solution may be okay, however, it still gets into the bloodstream, not a whole lot, but some.  My nephew is a doctor in New York City and there was a particular gel my sister's doctor in FL wanted her to use and her son told her not to for that very reason.  I always appreciate and enjoy your informative posts.

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma, I've read that about pain management clinics before. It makes no sense to me. There's no real reason cannabis and other drugs can't be used together (in the symbiotic sense, not at the same time). I personally think the MDs are worried about drug-seeking patients and patients likely to OD on narcotics. They don't want to be responsible legally if a patient uses both. There has never been a documented case of "death from marijuana."

There are roll-ons with just CBD. But it's widely known that the good effects of CBD work better with a little THC (the psychoactive part of marijuana) mixed in.  The one I use has just enough THC in it to kick the CBD into high gear. I don't "feel" anything at all from it except pain relief.

CBD actually counteracts the psychoactive effects of THC. There is a fast-growing segment of the MMJ (medical marijuana) industry that creates combinations of THC with CBD so that you get the benefits of both without ever feeling high.

Here in the Wellness forum, there are two different threads with "CBD" in the title that I've contributed to. They're fairly long now ;-) with a lot of information. They're both off the front page but I think one or both of them would be on page 2-3, for anyone who wants to "study" ;-) I'm happy to answer any questions.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to each and everyone of you for the information you have given me.  I have read and will read again each post and take what I can from them that which will work for me.  Enjoy the rest of the summer and God Bless you. Heart

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I take Gold standard msm salts from amazon for pain and it works great,More info below..Lots more info online and reviews on amazon.Hope you can get some relief soon..TC.

Methylsulfonylmethane

Origin: Organic sulfur compound found naturally in fruits, vegetables, grains, animals and humans.

Dosage: Tablets, liquid, capsule or powder, topical and oral. Typically 1,000 mg to 3,000 mg daily with meals. 

Claims: Reduces pain and inflammation.

What we know: MSM is an organic sulfur compound. Sulfur is needed to form connective tissue. MSM also seems to act as an analgesic by lessening nerve impulses that transmit pain.

Studies: A 2006 pilot study of 50 men and women with knee osteoarthritis showed that 6,000 mg of MSM improved symptoms of pain and physical function without major side effects. No large, well-controlled hum­an studies have been performed.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I think whomever can come up with a successful pain management without hurting the body or mind will be a millionaire.

I have it in both knees (years of sports and 3 operations) and when I overdo it (that means not sitting) my knees ache, feel like I have sharp things in them and they won't bend without pain.  I use (rotating) Aleve, Aspirin, Advil or Tylonal.  I try not using anything, but that's not always possible.  I also swear by Tommy Copper (it's a specific brand that has copper threads in every thread in the item rather than sewing in little copper metal disks.  I have them for my knees and hands (without fingers)...  it gives me the compression my knees need and the heat I generate helps the copper activate and I do feel relief....

Good luck.      

Thanks for posting that. I've wondered about Tommy Copper.

Super Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

q-girl, When the DEA scared the pants off pain management doctors and clinics and all patients had their meds lowered you would have thought I was a walking pharmacy.  I was on Oxycodone 20mg five times a day and the Fentanyl Patch 100mcg every 48 hours.  My doctor was reluctant to take my meds down as low the DEA would have liked so he indicated in my records because of my age and pain level he made an exception and only reduced the Patch down to 75mcg

@q-girl wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma I have recently made this journey. This time last year I was taking Oxycodone 30mg 4xday,  OxyContin 20mg 2xday,  Fentanyl patch 25mcg, along with Celebrex, Topamax, Savella, Zanzflex, and meds for sleep. I was taking these for Fibromyalgia and for Degenerative Spine disease which resulted in radiculopathy to both lower extremities, my right arm, and pain & numbness in my right shoulder, neck and face. Despite the meds I was in constant pain. I returned to my original Pain Management doctor (who I left in 2010 due to an insurance change) who felt that I would do much better on medicinal marijuana since the narcotics were obviously no longer effective for me. She placed me into the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program. From November until March we slowly weaned the narcotics until all that was left was Oxycodone 30 mg 3xday. At that time I started on the Medical Marijuana. I take in the form of a lozenge that dissolves under my tongue. It dissolves quickly, provides excellent pain control WITHOUT any " high" or the nasty side effects of the narcotics. Presently, I have continued to wean the Oxycodone to 15mg 3xday, I no longer take muscle relaxers or sleeping meds, and I take only half the dose of Celebrex as previously. I do not live in a fog. 

This was a life changing experience in a positive way for me. I live with minimal pain, I sleep through the night, I am no longer cranky every day.

I hope my experience sheds some light on this issue for you.

Wihsing you the best with this . . . .and hugs !!

every 72 hours and left the Oxycodone where it was.   If you were on what you were taking when the you know what hit the fan I would hate to think how far your meds would have been taken down.  Your pain level would have increased due to not getting what you needed in order to be comfortable.

I applaud you for getting off the meds and switching to marijuana.  Was there much discomfort in the weaning process? My PC Dr, said there will be some discomfort and I'll discuss it in more detail next week.  Thank you for the good wishes, I am happy for you in that your switch was successful and you are in a better place. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma  Thank you for your kind words. Yes, there was some increase in pain during the weaning process. My doc suggested adding Tylenol when the pain was really bad, and surprisingly it helped. (The Tylenol potentates the other meds?) I relied on other, non-medicinal techniques I've learned along the way such as positioning, distraction methods, the use of heat or ice and minmalizing things known to trigger increased pain as best I could. It helped tremendously that my hubby and son are completely supportive. Surprisingly, the most difficult and most painful med to wean from was Celebrex.

I was frightened and, quite frankly embarrassed at first to know I would be on the medical marijuana at 60 yrs old. But now I look at it as quite possibly the the best decision I've ever made regarding my health. 

Good luck, and continue to post on this issue.  Hugs.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

@q-girl@Lindsays Grandma  Doctors are so afraid to prescribe pain meds to anyone anymore....the ladies on this board are so blessed to have found compassionate doctors who are concerned for their well being..  Pain Management clinics have soaked many for money on remedies that just don't work as a result of doctors and pharmacies fear of writing opioid scripts.  Walgreens has been documenting and completing a form called a "secret checklist" regarding the patient every time an opioid script is written.  It is horrifying that those living in life threatening pain can no longer get the meds they need to live a barely acceptable "normal" life and treated as if they are addicts looking for a high.   CBD oil might offer relief to many who have not had success elsewhere.  I am so grateful to see that both of you have had success with your doctors and have been able to move off the drugs with an alternative that will be much healthier and that you had the support of doctors to empower you to do so.  They are rare.  I'm going to research more and go over to the wellness board as well.  Thank you for sharing your experiences, and much continued success towards wellness.

Regular Contributor

Celadrin, turmeric by Biogenix, and Great Lakes Collegen powder, all from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

I think whomever can come up with a successful pain management without hurting the body or mind will be a millionaire.

It makes me incredibly sad to see many in pain, when a large part of the answer is right in front of us.

Plants: They will allow better blood flow & reduce inflammation

Whole foods: Processed foods are full of fat, sugar & chemicals..which causes inflammation

No oils:  Oil is a refined product...the body reacts negatively when foods are stripped of their natural fiber...which causes inflammation.

No animal products/byproducts:  The second we ingest animal products, our body goes into fight mode...which causes inflammation. 

Pills, prescriptions, pot, ibuprofen, morphine...all those things are masking what we ingest.  Food is the common denominator for everyone..and what we eat is SO overlooked...and SO taked for granted!  

There are many studies, research & more importantly, success stories about the virtues of a low fat, plant based diet for body pain.  Google "plant based diet anti inflammation".  No need to make me a millionaire....the answer is free, right in front of us. 

・ 。
☆∴。 *
 ・゚*。★・
  ・ *゚。   *
  ・ ゚*。・゚★。
   ☆゚・。°*. ゚
*  ゚。·*・。 ゚*
   ゚ *.。☆。★ ・
  * ☆ 。・゚*.。
    * ★ ゚・。 * 。
    ・  ゚☆ 。