Respected Contributor

I have taken Biotin for years - early 70's now, head full of hair...It must be working for me , my mom had to wear a 'hair piece' due to thinning.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE TAKING BIOTIN??

[ Edited ]

I took it for many years hoping it would help with my thinning hair but all it ever did was make my hair coarse and stiff, kinda wiry so I stopped taking it.

With age thinning hair is often a common thing. Most of it happens b/c of shrinking hair follicles which, over time, will result in finer strands of hair and even hair loss. Shrinking follicles (miniaturization it's called in the the industry) has much to do with blood flow to your follicles and once the blood supply begins to slow down (for a number of reasons) then follicles begin to shrink and eventually die off. No matter what kind of supp you take won't help unless you do something for the blood supply first.

Super Contributor

I did until I found out that it messes with blood work results for thyroid panels.  That ended that.

Respected Contributor

@Ronettes wrote:

I always had thick long hair my whole life -

After a total hysterectomy, I notice it thinning a bit, and I've heard that taking Biotin 10,000 once a day supports hair, skin and nails.  I just started taking it - Anyone had any experience with Biotin??

I take 1200 mg in a multi every day....it has done nothing to improve my nails. I'm lucky as

I've always had thick hair so I don't need it for that. 

You're hair thinning could be just temporary. Wishing you the best. 

Trusted Contributor

YES. My hair is thicker and my nails are stronger and grow faster.

Respected Contributor

I went thru a period last year where my very long hair started falling out from root to tip. I could just touch it and it would come out. 

My Dr told me to take some Biotin which I did (5,000) and it did stop falling out. Hasn't happened since then and I still take it.

Also a very long time ago the same thing happened and I went to Whole Foods where someone suggested this shampoo that women take during cancer. That seemed to help too.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I always appreciate and often incorporate your suggestions.  Because you mentioned blood flow, I want to share a simple inexpensive item that has helped with hair loss/growth.  I have a small plastic round piece with plastic prongs and when I shower/wash my hair, I lean over and circulate this item on the roots of my hair on all of my head.  I bought it on Amazon and noticed it is also at Walmart, 

Honored Contributor

I've been taking Biotin for several years.  A doctor told me to try is as I was losing a lot more hair and my nails were not so good.  I don't think I am losing as much hair, but I don't see much difference in the quality of my hair or nails.  I am afraid to stop taking it though, as maybe it's keeping them from getting worse! Not much of an endorsement, but that's about all I can say at this point! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Ronettes wrote:

I always had thick long hair my whole life -

After a total hysterectomy, I notice it thinning a bit, and I've heard that taking Biotin 10,000 once a day supports hair, skin and nails.  I just started taking it - Anyone had any experience with Biotin??

I took Bioton because my hair is thinning and my nails are horrible.  I think I saw some little improvement with my hair but I'm not sure.  Biotin really made me break out.  I felt like a teenager it got so bad.  My nails did look better.  I'm trying Rogain for Women now and I do see an improvement.  I will be adding a thickening hair serum at some point but I don't want to try too many new things at once.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard that taking Biotin could interfere with a heart test; DH was told to take Biotin for his fragile skin after radiation treatment. He also has EKGs and other cardiac tests on a regular basis....the dr has never mentioned stopping the biotin.

I resumed taking Biotin a couple of weeks ago since my nails stopped growing and started breaking...they grew like crazy when I was taking it...but I was taking it hoping my hair would stop falling out....dr said it was due to aging. My hair still grows just fine...but it is still coming out when I try and style my hair. Thyroid test was fine.