Honored Contributor

ANYONE HERE TAKE A CARB BLOCKER?

I've read some about them, but I still don't believe that they could possibly work.  

Anyone have any feedback ... or information?   TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE HERE TAKE A CARB BLOCKER?

They were "the thing" in the early 1980s, then the FDA took them off the market.  Haven't heard another word about them til now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Well, they're back ....  even Slimfast has one now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend, who is morbidly obese, took Alli (that's an OTC medication carb fat blocker) for weight loss and although she lost some weight using it, she said it caused her to have bouts of diarrhea so she stopped taking it. She's now on a Rx med for weight loss called Contrave which is suppose to work on the hunger center in the brain to reduce appetite. She hasn't taken it for very long and she said there are no side-effects so far.

ETA - Alli is a FAT blocker, not a carb blocker. I stand corrected here.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've read some about them, but I still don't believe that they could possibly work.  

@Tinkrbl44 

Work for what? 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have never heard of them. If they worked ,I am sure they would be given some notice on diabetic websites

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

"Work"....for weight loss?

'Cutting carbs' is not going to do anything for weight loss.

Eat low fat whole food plant based starches for permanent, EASY weight loss. It's so simple. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

"Work"....for weight loss?

'Cutting carbs' is not going to do anything for weight loss.

Eat low fat whole food plant based starches for permanent, EASY weight loss. It's so simple. 

@sidsmom If there were anything anywhere "so simple" about weightloss, believe me, we would all know about it.  If you think it is that easy peasy you are very misinformed about what the issue of weight loss really is. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Folks who seek more info about carbohydrates should research the role of the enzyme amylase and what researchers have found about its relationship to obesity and diabetes.

Continuing to preach a diet high in starches such as potatoes and rice is not a benefit to  people who don't naturally produce the enzymes necessary to digest them.

@sidsmom 

Just about everyone knows we should eats lots of vegetables and fruit and other plant-based foods.  But ignoring other food groups (meat, eggs, dairy) can be detrimental to health.  Loading up on starches and claiming that entire regions of the world have existed on rice and potatoes alone is just plain false.

Tone down your "it's so simple" message  A  more reasoned discussion about diet complexities would be better received...or don't you care whether it's actually received or not?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They were "the thing" in the early 1980s, then the FDA took them off the market.  Haven't heard another word about them til now.

@Kachina624    They have been back on the market for many years now.