Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIASTOLIC DISFUNCTION?

DH has been experiencing chest pressure and difficulty taking deep breaths for a few months now.  It comes and goes and thought it may be allergies.  He finally went to a walk in last weekend and they sent him to the hospital so that more testing could be done.  Long story short, after an overnight stay in the hospital and having heart enzymes, blood pressure, and oxygen levels monitored for 24 hours, he was sent home.  Everything was normal, but he was to follow up with PCP.  Since then he has had an echocardiogram and cardiac stress test.  The stress test was normal and in fact the cardiac doc said "I can't say this 100% but the chance of you having a heart attack or stroke is very slim. DH is 76 and you would never guess it to see him.  One of the young nurses came in the hospital room, sat down and said, what is your secret?  I never come into a room without a load of meds to administer and you aren't on anything.  I digress...

The doctor called today and said the echo shows diastolic disfunction.  They are calling in a diruetic for him to begin taking.  We have follow up appointments with PCP and the cardiac doc in the next couple weeks.  

I am just wondering if anyone here has this and how are you treating it?  Has it progressed?  Has it altered your life?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

Re: ANYONE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIASTOLIC DISFUNCTION?

I just wanted to wish you and your husband good thoughts and vibes.   Take care.   Best, Tallgal

Esteemed Contributor

Never heard of this. God bless you both. 🙏

Trusted Contributor

I have not heard of the issue. However, I wish you and your husband success in addressing/ handling diastolic dysfunction. It sounds as if the diagnosis was relatively quick.

Respected Contributor

American Heart Assocition has excellent information. 

Don't be afraid but should be under the care of cardiologist and PCP secondary care. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

From my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes I did meet patients that had this issue. This however was, my latest 36, were in 2007. Then it was called something different, but it was the stiffening of the Left Ventricle, of the heart.

All were diagnosed the same way as my Congestive Heart Failure(CHF), with an Echocardiogram. This measured my Ejection Fraction(EF), which is a measurement of my Left Ventricle ability to pump blood to my body's Main Artery. It is measured by %, and normal is 50% or higher.

After my 2nd Heart Attack my EF was 36-37%, thus the diagnosis of CHF. I explained all of this in another thread about "Stress Tests", so you can read about it in that thread if you wish.

Not sure what "not being on meds" has to do with that comment by the nurse. I worked with several men, mostly just over 40 years old, that were on no meds at 1 time. As years went by and they saw their doctors, they were put on meds because of several different underlying conditions they ignored.

Back then in my Rehab Classes, Cardiovascular Exercises were one of the best ways to improve EF. For those patients diagnosed, many were told to lose weight, how much depended on their weight when doing the Echocardiogram.

Like myself, with CHF, some not myself, were also given prescription diuretics, to help control water retention. After a little over 4 months, with increased Cardio and my limit of 64oz of fluid per day, my EF rose about 7%. This was enough to remove my CHF condition.

I doubt my EF will get much higher, but I have the lower part of my heart muscle gone because of my 2 heart attacks. If your husband still has a complete Heart Muscle, I would think he should be able to maintain or improve his condition. But!!! Only his doctor(s) can tell him that, not me. I am just telling you my personal experience with my Left Ventricle issue, and Congestive Heart Failure.

Hopefully this is something your husband can improve in a similar way as myself. I wish him, and you, the best with this issue.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your valuable input, @hckynut .  This is still early in diagnosing and (today) and we will follow doctor's orders.  I didn't mean to convey that DH has avoided doctors and meds.  He is a bone marrow transplant survivor after living with and taking treatment for cancer 10 years prior to BMT.  He has his yearly physicals and has always had good numbers - cholesterol, BP, lipid panel, PSI, and so on.  He is active and not overweight.  I have been reading about this and can see where a consistent exercise program would be beneficial.  As I said before, this is new territory for us and we will listen to the cardiologist.  This is the same doc that was in at the stress test.  DH has always had a slow heart rate - low 50's - and they really had to work him to get it up to the 120 needed for the test.  He said they had him jogging for the last part.  

One question - is the EF diagnosed or checked with the echo?  I ask because they didn't mention it, but perhaps this is where the DD diagnosis came from?

Again, thank you.  It always helps to hear others experiences.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Your husband has been through a lot through his years. He sounds like someone that has done what was necessary, maybe even more, to recover from his other serious health issues.

Yes, the Echocardiogram, is what measures the EF, unless there is something new that has been found. After my 2nd Heart Attack that was done right after my Heart Cath/Stent Angioplasty Procedure. 

My Cardiologists first in hospital visit after, he told me my EF were too low. He then recommended I see those heading the CHF Program. That is what I did, along with my 36 Cardiac Rehab Classes, and the combination of both, got me to my higher EF percentage.

I was not unfamiliar with heart issues, but going through them twice? One learns a whole lot more through their experiences, as opposed to books/videos or Class Clinics. Fortunately these parts of my memory are not as elusive for me as some others.

Optimism and doing the work necessary have always been my best friends during the rough times. I wish your husband the best in dealing with this. And I never overlook the all important care taker during the rough times. Anything else you want to ask I will gladly tell you, if I know the answers.

Best to both of you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much, @hckynut .  I may be calling on you in the days ahead. Woman Happy