Honored Contributor

ANXIETY IN THE ELDERLY, Take 2.

An interesting situation in our family- after a few sad months of worry about my dear aunt, I’ve begun to notice a slow upward turn in her interaction with family and overall activity level.

Just on a fluke, I decided this morning to do a basic Safari search for the topic Anxiety or Alzheimer’s in the elderly? and was AMAZED at how many articles have been written about this. 

I will be accompanying her to a checkup up at the end of this week, and I intend to ask her doctor about it as well. 

If you happen to be dealing with someone someone who is both anxious and confused, you may want to take a look.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANXIETY IN THE ELDERLY, Take 2.

@violann  my mother  was so fearful of her elevator in the high rise where she was living, before she was moved to the nursing home

She kept telling me that it was dangerous. Of course ,this was heightened by the tenants complaining about it.  I tried to tell her it was OK, but ,I am not sure I ever made much headway..It really was OK

Respected Contributor

@violann   You know, I'd think if your memory is failing you and you are getting confused, that would be enough to cause anxiety.  I'm quite sure that during the earlier stages of Alzheimer's or dementia, people are aware that something is wrong, and that is scary.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@violann   You know, I'd think if your memory is failing you and you are getting confused, that would be enough to cause anxiety.  I'm quite sure that during the earlier stages of Alzheimer's or dementia, people are aware that something is wrong, and that is scary.

I’m sure of it @2blonde, but what I was reading this morning suggested that anxiety on its own can mimic dementia and/or Alzheimer’s, and I would guess that if you thought you had Alzheimer’s and didn’t, THAT would make the anxiety and panic worse too.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, a very concerning topic. But it may not be a symptom of a medical condition. I've known many older people who gradually became fearful as they (1) became less mobile physically, (2) stopped going out into the world by themselves, and (3) watched or listened to more news.

One, for example, started to be anxious about going to the mailbox, feeling that there were thugs lurking everywhere ready to attack. Another who thought the population had grown so much and included so many gangs  that it was no longer safe to go out at all if you lived in a city. Neither of these people had dementia and both had lived normal, independent lives.

It's as if, in order to keep a correct perspective, we need do a certain amount of moving around and rubbing shoulders with our fellow humans. Sort of a "use it or lose it" thing. Does that make sense?

Honored Contributor

The very sad thing about disorientation is that often the patient is with it enough to realize they are confused. Of course this would cause them to become anxious. If you thought you were , literally, losing your mind wouldn't that make you anxious? It certainly would make me anxious. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

The very sad thing about disorientation is that often the patient is with it enough to realize they are confused. Of course this would cause them to become anxious. If you thought you were , literally, losing your mind wouldn't that make you anxious? It certainly would make me anxious. 

I believe this point was stated earlier in this thread but yes, this is very obvious and not what I was describing.

My concern is DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS between physiological causes of specific dementias in contrast with anxiety as a pre-existing condition causing dementia like symptoms, because treatment plans should be developed accordingly. 

Using a medication directed strictly towards organic anomalies if the condition is resulting from affective issues will be unlikely to benefit the client, while mood stabilizers may be wasted on clients with primarily organic involvement.

Sorry, I guess my initial post should have been a little more specific. 😀

Honored Contributor

This is true.  I don't think my anxiety is due to Alzheimers or dementia.  I know what I'm anxious about and it's there every day.  You won't know until one day you are "old old" and your time is almost up . . . regardless of whether you're ill or not.  We can only live so long.

I remember sitting with a friend of mine on the side of a lovely pond, at age 39 musing that our lives were half over.  Little did we know how fast the next half was going to race by.  And a lot of our friends, and our children's friends' parents would not even get out of their forties and fifties.

That's the whole belief regarding an afterlife.  We can't imagine being really gone . . . forever.  Who wouldn't be anxious about that, even if it's cloaked in fear of an elevator?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure at what age 'elderly' starts, so I'm not sure if I'm there yet (63), but I started having some confusion issues and severe memory issues in the last couple of years.   Consequently, of course, my levels of anxiety have increased since then.

I was getting confused  allt he time and in a weird little state of being overwhelmed.  It does make you anxious.   It seems that 'age' creeps up on you and, at least in my case, it's impossible to compute.    I still cannot relate to 60 and it's been over 3 years now.   

As to the anxiety, and this might not be a popular opinion but that's ok, I found that weed has helped a LOT with my anxiety.  I know it's not legal everywhere but it's legal here, just since last year, and it has helped me in a few ways including, and to a really great degree, my anxiety.   I am about 95% LESS anxious at this point. 

Part of that might be that it makes me more cerebral again, like I was when I was young and smart, so I am able to stay out of the anxiety that is often unrealistic and just silly.  I have been having a really difficult time becoming kind of an idiot and I really don't like it.  It's upsetting and creates great anxiety.

I don't have medical care, so I don't have access to rx meds and such.  But I find I'm able to keep myself a lot less confused and anxious now that I have that help.   Oh, I still have breaks in thought continuity and such but it's far less in severity and frequency.

Respected Contributor

I am curious as to how much and how often do you have to smoke the weed to notice it making your anxiety lessen?  I might be willing to try it. It is legal here too and my husbands buddy has some.

I just finished going through chemo and radiation and I still feel like ****** even though it's been over a month. My oncologist said it's normal and I know my anxiety is through the roof and can't sleep either. I am glad and impressed it is helping you. Maybe it could do the same for me. Please let me know when you get a chance. TIA