Super Contributor

ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT KNEE REPLACEMENT

So I have seen two surgeons about knee surgery. 

One says you are asleep durint the procedure (like I always am when I get a colonscopy)

The other doctor says I will be numb from the waist down, but still awake or like a twilight sleep.

I prefer being asleep!  Someone told me, although numb from waist down, you will not feel anything, there is a weird noise during the surgery that yoiu do not want to hear!

Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT KNEE REPLACEMENT

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick  I was numbed below the waist down, and put out with Propofol ( Michael Jackson milk)...I was out like a light...and next thing I knew, It was over.  I never  heard a thing. A good anesthesiologist will know how much to give you so you hear nothing....

numbing below the waist also gives you some hours of pain relief after the surgery is over..when that wears off YOU KNOW IT!😩

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick   I was numb from waist down for both my hip replacement and knee replacement.  I prefer it.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick 

Sounds like you are deciding between these two  doctors. I am different than most in that I like seeing/hearing what is going on in all invasive or non-invasive surgeries/procedures.

Were I making this choice, I would choose the surgeon that has a record of having the best results.

Of my 15 Colonoscopies, 2 were done with no anesthesia. Why? Because they could not find the source of the bleed, and wanted me to do knee to chest and other movements that might help them locate the bleed during the procedure. Pleasant? Not exactly, but was worth it, while trying to beat my Anemia.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I was given a spinal so I was numb from the waist down. I don't want see it, hear it or feel it. 

Honored Contributor

I had arthroscopic knee surgery few months ago, procedure only took 12 minutes, but I was asleep with cocktail using Propofol. Very similar as to what is used for colonoscopy. 

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick 

You will be out deep enough to not hear the bone saw when your knee joint is removed.

Trusted Contributor

@ I've had both knees replaced and both times I had a spinal and then given propofol in the OR.  

Esteemed Contributor

Since the anesthesia will be based on the surgeon's preference and your own health history, just go with the most skilled surgeon.

If you are doing it on an outpatient basis, lighter might better so you are not so groggy.

Honored Contributor

I had general anesthesia, I was asleep.  I think general anesthesia is standard.  Patients can request epidurals if they choose to be awake during tkr surgery.  There are some patients who must have epidural anesthesia because general anesthesia would be too risky.