Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Anyone have this done ?

I went to dentist today (first time in ages) and my options were keep what I have and just wait til they fall out (I have gum disease and a few loose teeth on bottom) OR do the All on 4 Implant...have another consultation with him and then with the oral surgeon who will be doing the procedure..has to pull a bunch first tho...kinda scary so not sure I will do but think I may not have an option so will consider..

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: ALL on 4 Dental Implants

@89135 If you are still young enough and don't have to go through bone or sinus grafting first and of course if you have plenty of money, I say go for it. Oh, by the way you will be on a soft diet for a year. My sister is 65 and she had the 4 implants on the bottom to anchor a partial denture, that's how I know about it. My sister had the bone grafting done first, the teeth were already missing for quite awhile. Bottom line for her, it took a year for everything to come together, the implants look great, but she still can't get the partial denture to fit right so she can actually chew with it in. Thank goodness she can chew just fine without it. Good luck if you choose to go for it.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@89135 

Seriously, is that what the dentist said- keep what you have & just wait till they fall out or have 4 teeth pulled and get an implant? That is scary-run.

Extraction should be your last resort. Are you not a candidate for periodontal surgery and splinting to help the loose teeth? Gum disease is curable, or at least manageable.

If you didn't see a periodontist, you should. If you did, you should get a second opinion.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I had one tooth about 10yrs ago, it's a long haul, could only eat soft food for 4 months, have dental ins. but my out of pocket was expensive. Maybe google it and see how other people did (I didn't do that) thought it was something for a few weeks then back to food. No this was a project. I had no idea, would I do it again probably not. There maybe another way cause that was 10yrs ago. No pain just a problem for months later with the soft food diet. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@icd55Dentist said I had too much bone loss..took alot of xrays of each tooth and showed me..and I probably need more like 6 teeth pulled if I do the all on 4..Im going to see him again for better understanding...I will ask more questions..this was more of a consultation than an actual appointment so I will find out more..

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@blackhole99..Im in my 70's so not that young..;-(..and I dont have plenty of money..and by looking online about the All on 4 the soft diet isnt for that long..Just alot to think about I know..scary..

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@sisselI had 3 single implants about 10 years ago...wasnt all that bad...dont remember any problem with soft food diet..

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@89135  my oral surgeon was something, after 3 weeks with this one tooth got bread or other food & squeezed it so I could have something to eat on the good side. Just alot of instructions and a long amount of time. Dentistry changes so much hope their are other options. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

All cases of dental  care are unique and require professional evaluation.   I would also suggest looking at the reviews of the "one-day-whole-mouth" dental businesses.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Implants can be very expensive and after that may not take.  Is not a normal denture plate an option?

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.