Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: ALL on 4 Dental Implants

@demanda  oh my gosh..9 ? well I think I have maybe 8 to be removed and that seemed scary...and yeah thank goodness for general anesthesia...I guess the 5 hr recovery for the pulled teeth..and then they put in temps? and I guess the stitches still there?  How long did you have the temps in? and yeah, the first sight would be a little shocking Im sure...My teeth really to me dont look that bad ..Its more of the gums that are a little red and a few teeth that move if touched and a little crooked but not that bad (IMO)..I will have to see more what the dentist says about any more options in about a week..but he did say they should probably go (because of gingivitis or periodontal) or like he said they would all become loose and I would just lose them..At my age 74 (ugh) Im just hesitate if I really care..Feel like I would need someone to go on this journey here with me and I dont have so thats a concern too..and yeah I know expensive. ..thanks for your response..it really helps and dont worry about being more prompt..;-)

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess - My husband was getting a full upper denture and a dentist that was hell bent on implants told my husband he had too much bone loss  and then after looking and looking and looking told him, I "think" I'll be able to find areas where there is enough bone so we can do the all on four.

Not giving you $17,000 based on a think...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@89135 we are going through similar situations.  Mine was gum related as well.  It was pretty bad.  I had already lost several teeth, had root canals, etc.  It was just time.  I'm not sure if it's related, but I used to have headaches every day.  Since having the procedure I haven't really had any headaches.  I understand gum disease can affect more than your gums.  Plus it's also nice to be able to smile again without putting my hand in front of my mouth.  Also nice to be able to go out to eat again.  Wasn't able to do that for a while either.  Oh, forgot to answer your question.  stiches were dissolving so didn't have to go back to have them removed.  I had the temps in for 3 months and then started the "design" process for finals.  Definitely take someone with you when you have the procedure.  No way you will be able to drive.  First day was the worst.  Let me know what you decide to do.  Would love to keep up with you on your journey :-)

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@demandaThanks so much..and yes I will find someone to go with me..:-)..to me it just doesnt seem really bad right now...havent lost any teeth or root canals, no bleeding, no pain etc..so maybe I will just wait til it gets worse...but I will still go to my next appt 21st to see what else dentist says...I will definitely let you know what I decide ..one last question..the first day being the worse ..were you in alot of pain after extractions and also is that why the 5 hr recovery?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@89135 The reason for the 5 hour recovery is that they wanted me to sleep off the anesthesia and there was some bleeding - which is normal after extractions (sorry if too much info).  There was some pain, but nothing that couldn't be managed by Tylenol.  I do have a high tolerance for pain, so I'm not saying Tylenol would be enough for everyone.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @demanda ..not too much info..I have low tolerance for pain..I did have a few teeth pulled about 9 yrs ago and I did have a little more bleeding than I should have..dont really remember any pain but probably had some...anyway, thanks again...will keep you updated

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@demanda  Well went for my  followup with my dentist to go over other options and $$...the other option was basically going the denture route, beside what he told me before on doing nothing or going with the All on 4.. Not going the denture route..well the $$ amount he said about $25K..ugh !  gave me a referral to go to the surgeon who will be doing the procedure to go over everything and I can ask more questions..just seems like a kinda long procedure and not being able to eat much..love to eat.lol...I have also thought of this other place here in Vegas  G4 by Golpa...they put the permanent teeth in like the next day...which seems appealing to me and cheaper...alot of good reviews..sometime you can check them out if you'd like..https://g4bygolpa.com/

Anyway, will keep you informed after I get up enough nerve to go to the surgeon for final consultation to actually see if I want to go thru with this..but it seems like it might be best.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I have mostly crowns in my mouth and had implants been available when I was younger I would have gone the route of implants.  Crowns break or you get an infection then you need a root canal and on and on.  Over 10 years ago I had to get 2 implants because crowned teeth fractured by the root.  Best thing I ever did.  My dentist is really into saving teeth but I told her I'm tired of all the dental work.  If I had it to do all over again I would get 4 implants to stabilize dentures and be done with it.  My two implants years ago cost me 10,000, that's with a surgeon pulling and my dentist making crowns.  I had no gum disease or needed to have bone replaced.  My husband lost his teeth to gum disease but he was a smoker too.  He had beautiful teeth when young.  I never had dental care when young but had nice looking teeth.  My daughter never had a cavity and now my two grandchildren in their teens never had one either.  I made sure my daughter never had to sit in a dentist chair like I did.  I had to wait 3 months before I was approved to get my crowns, molars so didn't need a temp tooth.  Didn't have any food restrictions either.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have 6 implants 4 on the top that anchor a fixed bridge and 2 on the bottom that anchor a removable one

I have a great local dentist who has a private practice and he is also works at a major medical center in the area.

I had the surgery done about 5 years ago, and I am trying to recall the sequence of the surgeries. 

The top took about 6 months to adhere and attach to the bone, I wore a bridge to cover the surgery sites.

About 3 months later I had two implants done at the bottom.

The original plan was to have 2 removable bridges but due to my mouth structure the bridge was wobbly, so we went with the fixed bridge

The bottom two implants hold a removable bridge

The whole process took me at least 8 months and since it was done in a hospital setting I think my end cost was around $25,000 (I had dental insurance that paid for part when I wrote them a long personal plea about self image and such

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.