Honored Contributor

Re: AIP DIET Autoimmune Protocol Diet

@hckynut 

Yes, I understand your point.

I think men either tolerate their aches and pains better than women or just don't have as many of them.

It took me suffering with symptoms worsening over at least 30 years before I found ANYTHING that helped.

I could outline my developing/worsening conditions over these years but it would be BORING!

The environment is more saturated with toxins, too.

I do feel that the medical community has learned a lot about fibromyalgia, CVID ( Common Variable Immune Deficiency), CMV, EBV, and associated autoimmune conditions more recently. As for treatments, I am skeptical of big pharma.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Reading all of this has me wondering how so many of my friends, some just people I know have made it. I'm talking people my age, 80, and a couple closer to 90. They are generally all pretty healthy(a subjective word to some), and very physically fit. I know from talking with them that none of them eat even close to things mentioned here.

I eat what works best for my lifestyle and have followed, for the most part, similar eating for over 4 decades. Said it here before that I would never suggest anyone follow my choice of daily nourishment. Some of the basic foods? Yes, but that's about it.

Unless some of the present diseases did not exist in the last century, it makes me wonder why/how there are "specific diets" for many different diseases in today's world, that are deemed " necessary by eating experts(?) for those with specific health issues or conditions. How did so many born in 1900 and earlier live to a 3 digit age! 

This post is not about how anyone chooses to eat, it is just my commentary after reading posts in this thread, along with so many I have read in this forum and others for O so many years now.

hckynut

You do understand that the AIP is NOT supposed to be an ideal, healthy diet for the general population?  It is an elimination diet for those with inflammatory processes so that they can heal their unhealthy gut.  No one is suggesting that the general public eat this way.

Do these friends you talk about have autoimmune diseases or other inflammatory diseases?  I think you said they are healthy so why would they need to follow the AIP?

I think you are incorrect about your statement: "How did so many born in 1900 and earlier live to a 3 digit age!"  I think it's a well known fact that life expectancy has increased significantly over the decades.  Whomever was born in 1900 and earlier and lived to be over 100 had good genetics.  Did these people who lived to be 100 or more have autoimmune disease?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 

@hckynut 

@Deree 

@QueenDanceALot 

@sydsgma1 

@sidsmom 

Hi Loves,

I know there are many whose names did not pop up for me to include and to those, I apologize.

There are a few things which really irritate me regarding "diets." 

In this case, one really is seeking a different "Food Plan" vice Diet:  to wit, seeking to affect a positive outcome in ones physiology through a change in approach via the Food Groups.  This may mean the exclusion of one food group, or two, or amending ones percentage intake from any of the Food Groups or sub-Food Groups.

There is hardly a better reason to do so than for autoimmune diseases.  My daughter suffers from Crohn's Disease and after having "danced" through quite a few gastroenterologists, she was reading a little neighborhood newspaper and came across a coupon, yes coupon, for a one hour consultation with a Naturopath specializing in diseases and disorders of the gut.  My daughter called me and asked what I thought.  "Do it, grab it.  You've been through so much pain and agony......"  My bottom line was that by that time, my daughter was very ill, as Chron's is not just a gut disease, it can and does affect the entire body.  Bottom Line:  My daughter had her first appointment 15 years ago and still has an appt every 6 months.  By the end of the first year, I was clearly getting my daughter back - her health had improved that much.  Aside from the tinctures, etc., Dr. Lassie had prescribed, as one condition of my daughter's continuing as a patient, she had to purchase a copy of a book which addressed the immune system, autoimmune diseases, food plan, recipes, etc.  The book was purchased and the rest is history.  Then 5 years later I popped up with microscopic colitis, but had a terrific internist who had Chron's so from a western medicine POV, knew what to do.  We did get my case settled down after 13 months, but, I did call my daughter, got the title of the book and purchased it.  Showed it to my internist-he went into his office-came back with the book in his hand-we both chuckled!  Couldn't believe we were on the same page.

When we move at retirement, I consulted with this naturopath, only to realize from her that I could have done so over the phone.  Anyway, she ran a slew of tests and I learned some rather interesting and dreadful things: such as what was growing and/or not growing in my gut.

Lastly, (1)  I'm stuck for a bit in my recliner, due to a case of severe sciatic pain, so don't want to get up right now to find the book's particulars, but will do so when it's time for lunch.  I'll return to post the information later.  (2)  Please and always don't ever go near anything titled or reeking of "Miracle" this or that in the healthcare field.  Just take a minute to think of and consider the mindset and goal ($$$) of the person or corporation behind "Miracle."  Just what are he/she/they trying to hawk anyway?

Honored Contributor

@sfnative 

It is so good to hear from you!

I agree we must always ask ourselves how much we want to contribute to those making a living off our purchases!

I think it would be safe to tread carefully and not accept anything as fact until we see for ourselves.❤️

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

a coupon, yes coupon, for a one hour consultation

Aside from the tinctures, etc.,

Dr. Lassie had prescribed, as one condition of my daughter's continuing as a patient, she had to purchase a copy of a book which addressed the immune system, autoimmune diseases, food plan, recipes, etc. 

2)  Please and always don't ever go near anything titled or reeking of "Miracle" this or that in the healthcare field.  Just take a minute to think of and consider the mindset and goal ($$$) of the person or corporation behind "Miracle."  Just what are he/she/they trying to hawk anyway?

@sfnative 

Excuse me?

Sounds like your ‘doctor’ forced you to buy her book & ‘tinctures’ and whatever ‘etc’ would be.  

Who’s ‘hawking’ now? Sounds like a scam to me.

That’s some shady stuff.

THANK GOODNESS my Plant Based doctors are worldwide known for excellent care & their programs are *free* with no ‘conditions.’

No books to buy or special this/that.

Just the produce section.🥬🍅🍌🥦🥗🥕

WOW.  

Thank you continually reinforcing my beautiful

Plant Based way of eating & lifestyle to me &

everyone reading. 

🌿💚

Honored Contributor

@sfnative 

It is so good to hear from you!

I agree we must always ask ourselves how much we want to contribute to those making a living off our purchases!

I think it would be safe to tread carefully and not accept anything as fact until we see for ourselves.❤️

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 

Thank you for the kind greeting.  Hope your weekend is enjoyable as well.

Here's the book to which I made reference:

The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book, [there's that diet word again], Jessica K. Black, N.D., Hunter House Books, Alameda, CA

Dr. Black co-founded and runs a primary-care center, A Family Healing Center, with locations in McMinnville and Portland, OR, together with he husband Jason Black, N.D.  She specializes in women's medicine, pediatrics, asthma, nutrition, allergies, detoxification and herbal medicine.

The edition of book I purchased was published in 2006.  However, the author may have a new edition available - didn't check, prior to this installment.

The book is soft cover, with double wire binding, which I really like.  Since I'm a scratch cook, I read through all of the recipes, but rather than use them, incorporated the essence of them and the "science," which appears in the front of the book.  If one reads reviews on the book, there are complaints regarding "insufficient recipes," "where are all the recipes" and the like.  Well, there are recipes, to be sure.  For me, the most important part of this book was reading about anti-inflammation, the foods we can eat to reduce inflammation and then recipes to kick-start a change in our meal planning.

This book was recommended to me by my Naturopath Dr. Raina Lassie.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative 

I think the anti-inflammatory food CHOICES was an eye-opener for me!

Also, it is amazing to me that so many conditions are actually categorized as "autoimmune."

It helps to know. 😉 

Honored Contributor

As I SO OFTEN SAY, each body is at least a little different from the next. 

I lived this this sort of lifestyle eating program (I don’t use the word d**t) for several months in 2013-2014, and was very, VERY healthy while doing so, and was also free of most of my fibro symptoms.

After some major life changes, I did began to cheat myself by not following the 

program seriously, and although I didn’t regain the 85 pounds I’d lost, I DID regain several of the fibro symptoms I’d been so happy to give up.

Nowhere in this protocol does it oblige anyone to slurp down gallons of grease or eat a full carcass daily or literally any of the rather accusatory claims made by other “camps” of eaters.

I will NEVER understand why the nearly proselytizing attitudes are so pervasive about what people CHOOSE to nourish THEIR bodies, except to sell some “essential” aspect of the “program” and make money. I am THRILLED when told about anyone who successfully overcomes negative habits by making good choices for themselves and living within them.

I am NOT thrilled when someone says or implies that THEY have found THE ONLY WAY TO EAT, and that unless I do what THEY DO I will suffer and die from consuming an organic chicken thigh. Such thinking led me to MANY miserable, eating disordered decades. 

I don’t hesitate to share the choices that were successful for me in learning how MY body functions best, but to have the temerity to imply that MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY certainly seems demeaning and condescending to me.

Study, choose, consider, make choices, include more items that help YOU feel and function best, eliminate what doesn’t.  To each her or his own!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

Has anyone tried this diet?

If so, what have you found to eat?

It is very restricted!

When I followed such a plan for several months from summer into fall (based on Amy Myers' book, The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases), my RA symptoms improved significantly.  I wish I had had enough belief in myself to keep going through the temptations of the holiday/cold weather season because the same symptoms came back.  (Medication notwithstanding.)  I'm just now getting back into the plan, @LTT1 .

There are issues with many of these books as to recipes and specifics of amounts of ingredients, but once you have the general principles, you can make it work.  I didn't feel as restricted as I expected (other than my lifelong issues with cake and ice cream!).

AMEN, SISTER!!!