Honored Contributor

ACP has released new guidelines for type 2 diabetes

[ Edited ]

They have loosened up the A1C  results, and think higher levels of B S are OK.

It is controversial, so, I would check with your own Dr to see what they suggest

I think I'm going to continue doing, what I am doing now

I wonder if they will  (insurance) stop paying for testing strips? They are expensive, and  really  are very strict about how many times a day you can test.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321123.php

Respected Contributor

Re: ACP has released new guidelines for type 2 diabetes

Thanks for posting. Very interesting- maybe the answer is moderation in everything.

It is a little unnerving to realize how little medicine really knows, how ideas, and science seem to constantly change standards.

Honored Contributor

I think your age could impact this too. If you are 40  you have to think about the next 40 or 50 years,

For older people ,you might only have to think in terms of 20 years or  less.

The endocrinologists are worried about people's eyes, and vision loss

Honored Contributor

The guidelines published every year following the national convention of cardiologists keep going lower and lower and lower.They now are saying FBS must be <95. Many people will have hypoglycemia symptoms at 95. It is my opinion, after watching this number get lowered every year after decades of saying 110 was a perfect FBS - this has more to do with making money and less with the welfare of patients. A sad state of how things are in general in our country.

If my DH is grumpy and cantankerous it is a sympton of hypoglycemia. When I check it - he is usually right around 90 to 100. Every diabetic is different and treatment needs to be individualized.

Honored Contributor

This article tells a bit about what other Drs. ,and the ADA ,think about these new guidelines

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/03/05/590922698/major-medical-associations-feud-over-...

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of the ACP.

Honored Contributor

It's the American college of physicians @tansy  I suspect they are well known in medical circles

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think with something as serious as diabetes, a person should not go by articles like that.  I certainly wouldn't.  It's best to continue doing what you do and follow your doctor's advice. 

Honored Contributor

I read an article in the newspaper here in our Florida town that the single highest reason for auto accidents in our area, in recent years,  has been found to be hypoglycemia. This is caused most of the time by overmedicating the patients. My Dh is supposed to take one of his meds in the AM & one in the PM. When he does his sugars fall radically in the evenings and he has actually passed out. He himself  changed to taking just one in the morning and he does fine. When he told the doctor  , he was told OH NO You must take 2 a day. So the doctor thinks he takes 2 a day, but in fact he takes only the 1.He does well on that. Diabetes care has to be individualized!