Honored Contributor

Re: ACP has released new guidelines for type 2 diabetes

I believe that Diabetes is singularly the most "individual" disease out there.  One size (one treatment) does not fit all  It is also extremely misnderstood and why the patient must thoroughly understand what is going on with them.  My biggest ah-ha moment was concerning cortisol (stress hormone) and its affect on my numbers.  I reduced and changed my diet (which up to this point had been keeping me around 6.3) to the point where my numbers should not have had peaks and/or drops.  But I've been under a lot of stress since Feb 2017 and my numbers weren't what they should have been based on what I have been eating...  So, even tho I've lost babout 35lbs since this started I have decided to lose 20lbs and see what happens .....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

My Dr offered to lower my metformin, but, I don't think my A1c would be as good, if she did. I opted to continue my present dose

Super Contributor

@151949wrote:

I read an article in the newspaper here in our Florida town that the single highest reason for auto accidents in our area, in recent years,  has been found to be hypoglycemia. This is caused most of the time by overmedicating the patients. My Dh is supposed to take one of his meds in the AM & one in the PM. When he does his sugars fall radically in the evenings and he has actually passed out. He himself  changed to taking just one in the morning and he does fine. When he told the doctor  , he was told OH NO You must take 2 a day. So the doctor thinks he takes 2 a day, but in fact he takes only the 1.He does well on that. Diabetes care has to be individualized!

@151949 I had the same issue, and just began cutting one in half and taking a half in am and pm. My numbers are still good and my doc is ok with it. Better than falling out in a faint or getting too nauseous to eat, which is what happened to me on 2 a day.