Trusted Contributor

Re: AARP on fish oil capsules

Coincidentally, my cardiologist also does not recommend CoQ10.  Why are these products advertised if doctors don't believe they do anything?

Honored Contributor

I don't believe they are a waste of money.

I take both fish oil & CoQ10 plus some other supplements.

The only prescription drug I take is my natural thyroid medication.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@SeaMaidenThis info has myriad sources and AARP is simply passing it on to their membership.  They did not do the research themselves, so in this case you'd have to go back to the original source to decide whether you trust the data.

At the strong suggestion of my ophthalmalogist, I've been taking omega 3 enriched fish oil for my severe dry eye.  The research I read talked about effects on dry eye which obviously interested me.  My use has not cured the dry eye and I still have some bad days.  Just hate to think if I quit when my current supply runs out that I may go backwards to the many, many days when I was confined to my recliner with a wet compress over my eyes.  Very few of those days now, but none of the doctors know which med is making the difference.

@millieshops

I started taking Andrew Lessman's Phytoceramides and I found that that has made the biggest difference in my dry eyes.  I don't use drops all day like I was before.  I use them first thing in the morning and last thing before bed.

They are not cheap, but all of the benefits I've seen from using it makes it worth it for me.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

My husband's PCP put him on a very high dose of prescription fish oil supplements to try and lower his triglycerides.  It did absolutely nothing so after about 2 years, he quit taking them.  As of last year he has a cardiologist and when we told him that DH quit taking the fish oil, he said he wouldn't recommend them anyhow.

Not to be disagreeable but just because you take fish oil and/or any other supplements and aren't on medications isn't much of an endorsement for the supplements.

I don't take any supplements at all and I also don't take any medications.  That doesn't make supplements bad or good.  It just is what it is.  

I rec'd that AARP Bulletin yesterday but I haven't read it yet.   

Honored Contributor

That's old news.  I had that conversation with my own doctor 3 or 4 years ago and she said that research showed there are no cardiovascular benefts to fish oil supplements.  I'm careful about believing stuff that people want me to buy their products say.  I think Co Q10 is another thing that doen't really have any benefits.  I'm not looking for magic pills, I'd rather do the things (and avoid the things) that I know for a fact have health benefits.  I don't use salt, I monitor the sodium in my diet, I don't eat fried foods, I only heat heart healthy carbs, I take calcium supplements,  I take a good multivitamin every day,  I drink 10 glasses of water a day,  I have eliminated (as much as possible)  sugar.  I don't ear red meat or pork.  Now that my knee is in good shape,  I walk for 30 minutes, 5 days a week but my goal is to get that up to 45 minutes, 6 days a week.  One would think that I would have no weight issues, wouldn't you?  I'm not complaining because I am not gaining weight but after all that, I maintain.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My husband's PCP put him on a very high dose of prescription fish oil supplements to try and lower his triglycerides.  It did absolutely nothing so after about 2 years, he quit taking them.  As of last year he has a cardiologist and when we told him that DH quit taking the fish oil, he said he wouldn't recommend them anyhow.

Not to be disagreeable but just because you take fish oil and/or any other supplements and aren't on medications isn't much of an endorsement for the supplements.

I don't take any supplements at all and I also don't take any medications.  That doesn't make supplements bad or good.  It just is what it is.  

I rec'd that AARP Bulletin yesterday but I haven't read it yet.   

@Lipstickdiva

It is for me. My doctor would love to put me on Statins & HBB medication. I see the change in my numbers while I'm taking supplements & what happens when I'm not taking them daily.

I also see how my numbers change on the amount of thyroid medication I take.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read all of this but just a heads up....My gastro doctor told me not to take them if I have diarrhea.  They can make it worse.

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago when fish oil was "the thing to take" ... my doctor said not to take them.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35Thanks for the tip.

Nothing about treating my dry eyes is cheap and I've been treating and paying for well over 20 years now, so anything that works is worth a try.

Respected Contributor

Actually, this is old news.  I read this over a year ago.  At least fish oil is a blood thinner, in case anyone needs that along with their aspirin.  I do take the COQ10, which I think gives me more energy.  I've never heard about doctors saying to not take these supplements.  None of mine have never said that, except the eye doc who said the eye vitamins are a waste of money.  As with any of this kind of info, you have to do your own research and do what you think is best.