Respected Contributor

My latest AARP bulletin is saying fish oil capsules have shown to have no correlation to protecting heart tissue. They feel it is a waste of money. I am questioning some of the research I have heard about fish oil capsules myself now.  I am thinking of switching from fish oil to Co Q10.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: AARP on fish oil capsules

i have never taken supplements......just think alot of them are "snake oils."  JMO....

Honored Contributor

Why would anyone believe what AARP says?

Honored Contributor

My doctor recommends fish oil with total omega fatty acids DHA,EPA &DPA as part of a heart healthy diet. I would not count it out just because it doesn't have the AARP blessing at the moment. My doctor does not recommend CoQ10, but says it won't hurt me and to take it if I think it helps me and I do.

Honored Contributor

I was taking fish oil caps when I had trouble with tearing and bruising of my skin.  Doctor told me to quit taking them.  I did and my condition improved.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenThis info has myriad sources and AARP is simply passing it on to their membership.  They did not do the research themselves, so in this case you'd have to go back to the original source to decide whether you trust the data.

At the strong suggestion of my ophthalmalogist, I've been taking omega 3 enriched fish oil for my severe dry eye.  The research I read talked about effects on dry eye which obviously interested me.  My use has not cured the dry eye and I still have some bad days.  Just hate to think if I quit when my current supply runs out that I may go backwards to the many, many days when I was confined to my recliner with a wet compress over my eyes.  Very few of those days now, but none of the doctors know which med is making the difference.

Honored Contributor

@Reever

I do not belong to AARP for specific reasons, which is irrelevant here. As far as fish oil capsules? I trust my Cardiologist, who has kept me from dying twice, much more than I do AARP.

Research all you can/ask your PCP, and Cardiologist, if you have one, and make your decision on that research. If you think stopping fish oil in favor of Co Q10 is the better route to take for you?

hn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I take it on the recommendation of both my orthopedic surgeon after surgery for a torn miniscus and my chiropractor for inflamation.

Honored Contributor

That’s old news.

2012 Old News.

Consuming fish/fish oil increases the risk of cancer, but that’s another

topic for another thread. And many of the toxins within fish/fish oil

can take yrs to leave the body.

98ADD848-279F-4C6D-9349-30A31D9673C0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

My latest AARP bulletin is saying fish oil capsules have shown to have no correlation to protecting heart tissue. They feel it is a waste of money. I am questioning some of the research I have heard about fish oil capsules myself now.  I am thinking of switching from fish oil to Co Q10.

Actually at the end of that part of the article about fish oil they say it is much wiser to simply eat fish.