Esteemed Contributor

AARP Medicare supplement plan

Just curious...is anybody enrolled in this AARP supplemental policy plan??  I keep getting mail about it...does sound interesting.   

I have BC/BS supplement plan, but it keeps going up and up!!! Don't even know if I can change plans now. Granted, I have not paid anything for any medical procedures, other than my monthly BC/BS fee.  And I have gone thru quite a few major ones.   My brother keeps telling me ... it all balances out. You pay up front or you pay after!

Respected Contributor

Re: AARP Medicare supplement plan

@corita   I think your brother nailed it.  At least when you pay first and have no bills later, it's predictible.  You have no idea how high medical bills can get, even only paying 10 or 20%!

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

Sit down with an independent insurance rep.  You must remember a specific plan pays the same benefits no matter whom it is with but you can pay different rates.  When I had to sign up for medicare this year and sat down we also had them quote my husband with the carrier I was choosing as it had one of the best prices.  He had to complete an insurance form and be approved.  He has no illnesses and was approved saving us $100 per month between carriers.  

Honored Contributor

The plans offered are no different all plan A's are the same, all plan B's are the same and so on, so it pays to show around and find the one that costs the least

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

I don't know why you husband had to fill out a medical form since if you are replacing one plan with another and no lapse in coverage, you should eligible with no pre-existing conditions limitations.  I'm a retired employee of AARP Medicare Supplement Plans offered through United Healthcare.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep getting insurance info from AARP supplemental plans too.  AARP is not an insurance company.  They recommend insurance from different companies for different things such as health insurance, life insurance and auto insurance and get a kick-back  from them.

Their health insurance comes from United Health Care.  In order to pick up the insurance offered by AARP, you must first be a member.  You do not have to keep this membership current, but you must be a member to enroll.

Their insurance rates go up too.  Every insurance company raises their rates.  The insurance commission must approve the rate increase and the insurance company must show proof that an increase is necessary.  Everyone's insurance rates go up...it I is not based on how often you use your insurance.

It is almost impossible to switch insurance companies when you have a Supplemental  Plan if you are out of your six month Medicare Part B enrollment period. ( 3 months before and 3 months after your Medicare B enrollment date)   If you do find a company that will allow you to enroll, they will charge you a higher rate than new Medicare enrollees.

After the Medicare Part B enrollment period is over, I know for a fact that United Health Care through AARP does indeed charge you more.  In fact, if you have one of their supplemental plans, they also charge extra to downgrade your Plan with them.

All supplemental plans are exactly the same.  For example, if you have Plan H with BCBS, AARP's Plan H is the same.  The price could be different though.

You are probably better keeping what you have, but do check out the Prescription plans during the annual Medicare Open Enrollment that is starting in October.  It is advisable to  check into these plans every year to get the best plan for the best rates.    Have an insurance company representative or independent agent go over the RX drugs you use and find the best plan for you.  

RX Plans can be changed each year with no pentalty, unlike the supplemental plans.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I keep getting insurance info from AARP supplemental plans too.  AARP is not an insurance company.  They recommend insurance from different companies for different things such as health insurance, life insurance and auto insurance and hpget a kick-back  from them.

Their health insurance comes from United Health Care.  In order to pick up the insurance offered by AARP, you must first be a member.  You do not have to keep this membership current, but you must be a member to enroll.

Their insurance rates go up too.  Every insurance company raises their rates.  The insurance commission must approve the rate increase and the insurance company must show proof that an increase is necessary.  Everyone's insurance rates go up...it I is not based on how often you use your insurance.

It is almost impossible to switch insurance companies when you have a Supplemental  Plan if you are out of your six month Medicare Part B enrollment period. ( 3 months before and 3 months after your Medicare B enrollment date)   If you do find a company that will allow you to enroll, they will charge you a higher rate than new Medicare enrollees.

After the Medicare Part B enrollment period is over, I know for a fact that United Health Care through AARP does indeed charge you more.  In fact, if you have one of their supplemental plans, they also charge extra to downgrade your Plan with them.

All supplemental plans are exactly the same.  For example, if you have Plan H with BCBS, AARP's Plan H is the same.  The price could be different though.

You are probably better keeping what you have, but do check out the Prescription plans during the annual Medicare Open Enrollment that is starting in October.  It is advisable to  check into these plans every year to get the best plan for the best rates.    Have an insurance company representative or independent agent go over the RX drugs you use and find the best plan for you.

RX Plans can be changed each year with no pentalty, unlike the supplemental plans.

------------------

@Carmie and others --

Thanks for the info.  I was pretty sure that I had read that I cannot change supplemental plan now.  Have had mine for about 8 years.  Just seems like mine goes up so much every year...this time it will be about $20 more a month!!

Honored Contributor

@orphan annie325 wrote:

I don't know why you husband had to fill out a medical form since if you are replacing one plan with another and no lapse in coverage, you should eligible with no pre-existing conditions limitations.  I'm a retired employee of AARP Medicare Supplement Plans offered through United Healthcare.

Because if you are switching from one Supplement Plan offered by one company to another Supplement Plan offered by a different company they can ask for medical history and based on that they can charge accordingly or deny.  Supplement Plans do not fall under the annual open enrollment rules like Advantage Plans do. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

Just curious...is anybody enrolled in this AARP supplemental policy plan??  I keep getting mail about it...does sound interesting.   

I have BC/BS supplement plan, but it keeps going up and up!!! Don't even know if I can change plans now. Granted, I have not paid anything for any medical procedures, other than my monthly BC/BS fee.  And I have gone thru quite a few major ones.   My brother keeps telling me ... it all balances out. You pay up front or you pay after!

“How Much Do Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Supplement Plans Cost?

Plan premiums vary by companies selling the plans. Blue Cross Blue Shield points out that as long as you pay your premiums on time, your coverage automatically renews every year, dependent upon the availability of that plan. Remember that if you already have Plan C or Plan F at the time it disappears, your coverage continues under that plan. The way that you set your Medigap premium payments affects your costs today and over time. Medicare supplement plans are rated by three different methods. The Community-Rated Plan option offers the same premium pricing for everyone, regardless of age. If you are 70 and your spouse is 65 when you enroll, you both pay the same premium. While not necessarily the least expensive Medicare supplement plan at the time of enrollment, it likely proves least expensive over time. The Issue-Age-Rated option premium is based on your age when you enroll. Although it does not increase over time, it potentially increases due to inflation. The Attained-Age-Rated premium option seems least expensive at first, but likely proves the most expensive, because premiums increase as you age.” quoted from Blue Cross’s website

Call BC and speak with one of their agents. They know their own plans. See what they say.

Valued Contributor

Take aarp supplement plan F.you have until JAN 1 2020 to do so.its the best plan plus no deductible.yes it goes up every year now but thats the normal.with your medicare and supplement you will never have to pay a doctors bill again.been on it for years now and never payed a dime out of my pocket.