Esteemed Contributor

Re: AARP Medicare supplement plan

@Carmie wrote:

I keep getting insurance info from AARP supplemental plans too.  AARP is not an insurance company.  They recommend insurance from different companies for different things such as health insurance, life insurance and auto insurance and get a kick-back  from them.

Their health insurance comes from United Health Care.  In order to pick up the insurance offered by AARP, you must first be a member.  You do not have to keep this membership current, but you must be a member to enroll.

Their insurance rates go up too.  Every insurance company raises their rates.  The insurance commission must approve the rate increase and the insurance company must show proof that an increase is necessary.  Everyone's insurance rates go up...it I is not based on how often you use your insurance.

It is almost impossible to switch insurance companies when you have a Supplemental  Plan if you are out of your six month Medicare Part B enrollment period. ( 3 months before and 3 months after your Medicare B enrollment date)   If you do find a company that will allow you to enroll, they will charge you a higher rate than new Medicare enrollees.

After the Medicare Part B enrollment period is over, I know for a fact that United Health Care through AARP does indeed charge you more.  In fact, if you have one of their supplemental plans, they also charge extra to downgrade your Plan with them.

All supplemental plans are exactly the same.  For example, if you have Plan H with BCBS, AARP's Plan H is the same.  The price could be different though.

You are probably better keeping what you have, but do check out the Prescription plans during the annual Medicare Open Enrollment that is starting in October.  It is advisable to  check into these plans every year to get the best plan for the best rates.    Have an insurance company representative or independent agent go over the RX drugs you use and find the best plan for you.  

RX Plans can be changed each year with no pentalty, unlike the supplemental plans.

@Carmie...I always read your posts, particularly at this time of the year.  I detest this time of the year to be honest with you.   I have to now start looking for a supplement to see if I can find one that costs less than the current one.  Good luck, right?  Plan D, that's another one, always checking to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and then charges outrageous prices for the meds.  It's times like this I am jealous of the rich who can afford to pay for anything.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

If you have gov’t Medicare A, B & D and AARP United Health supplement, say plan L, can you upgrade to a different plan, say plan G?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie....When shopping for supplemental insurance, I have learned from these forums  that all plan G or F for instance have the same benefits, but from company to company the price can be different...am I understanding correctly?

What about the agent that is selling the product, where does he make his money, is that where the cost difference comes in? Or are some companies just more expensive than others even though the benefits are the same within the plans?

My girlfriend will be looking for a policy after the first of the year, she is widowed and asks me questions that I am not quaified to answer but have helped her a bit because you are so informative, thank you!!

She would like to be informed as possible before she meets with an agent

Super Contributor

How much do you pay in premium for Plan F ?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Betts wrote:

I lived in KY when I was making my decisions for Medicare coverage. Our local hospital had seminars to help us understand our coverage options. There were several folks there who had older spouses and shared that with AARP Plan F, coverage was flawless.  

So, I called several companies to compare. When my doctor's office told me they couldn't recommend one company over another, they added with a smile, " ...but AARP always pays their bills faster and w/o question."

So, I chose AARP Plan F. I moved soon afterwards and reregistered in Ohio. I've never had any of my claims denied. I've never had to pay anything beyond my monthly premium. 

My husband was sick with stage 4 cancer beginning in July of 2018 and was hospitalized too many times to count and doctors visits were too often to count. He had two rounds of chemo, radiation and stem cell and I never paid a penny except for blood thinning drug.  I had AARP United Healthcare plan F which I understand is no longer available.  I am grandfathered in. 

I lost my dear husband on July 1, 2019 after 50 years of marriage and I miss him every day but know he had the very best care and never spent one day alone in the hospital between me and our 3 sons.  

Will never be without a secondary insurance besides Medicare.

Occasional Contributor

This is true. I've had AARP Plan F since I became 65. I'm now 73. It's the best peace of mind and affordable coverage for healthcare insurance I've ever had. I live in Cincinnati and I can go to any hospital or provider that accepts Medicare. If I were to go visit my son in another state, my coverage does not change. 

Respected Contributor

@Betts wrote:

This is true. I've had AARP Plan F since I became 65. I'm now 73. It's the best peace of mind and affordable coverage for healthcare insurance I've ever had. I live in Cincinnati and I can go to any hospital or provider that accepts Medicare. If I were to go visit my son in another state, my coverage does not change. 

My understanding is that F is no longer available, replaced by G. 

Super Contributor

@stargazergal  In New York, $245.75 per month. There is a 2% discount if you pay the year in advance.

Honored Contributor

DH and I have Premera  Blue Cross Blue Shield as our secondary insurance and have for several years.  We pay about $850 A month for both of us. They seem to cover whatever Medicare does not very well whatever comes up,

Super Contributor

Just curious....where would I find a health insurance represenative to consult with?