Esteemed Contributor

I just noticed a mole on my arm that neither myself or my dh has noticed before. How can a mole just appear seemingly overnight?

I will call to make a dermatologist appointment tomorrow. Its flat. Not uniform in color. I'm kind of worried, honestly.

Have any of you had a mole just appear all of a sudden?

Valued Contributor

Yes @happycat , the same thing happened to me on my face, close to my eye.  I thought it was hair dye or makeup and I was scrubbing away.  I swear it came out overnight because you look at your face every day and I also apply makeup daily.  I went to the dermatologust and had it removed and biopsied and it was benign.  Definitely get it checked though but try not to worry (I know, easier said than done!)

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I just noticed a mole on my arm that neither myself or my dh has noticed before. How can a mole just appear seemingly overnight?

I will call to make a dermatologist appointment tomorrow. Its flat. Not uniform in color. I'm kind of worried, honestly.

@happycat  I have had the same darn thing. I ignored it as it was nothing and well circumscribed.

It was most likely there for a short while.

I'm glad you're seeing a derm about it.

I have weensy BCC on my mid nose, had it many years ago didn't do anything since my mom was going through CA treatments then I took in my dad then my son died and I just said wth and now I'm pushing myself to get back to decent health it's tough but doing it..I went to a diff derm who shaved it again for a biopsy and said it's BCC (I knew it being a nurse it was reappearing after 2n biop.) and just in general I knew but wore sun and sunblock, C serums good skincare even worked night's for ages! but it's back long story short it was a slight freckle mid nose when young (I'm light but cousins and a sister prone to skin things cousins who've had BCC squamous and even melanoma. I am scared of MOHS and postponed it back then also due to the whack job doc who is known as a "butcher" on yelp and 2 nurses i know said he was crazy. I knew this my mom at the time a nurse said do not go and now I have to get it done but I'm going to try alternative routes. I'm 62 now and will have disfigurement.... after so much in my life over the past year and years of caring fr everyone and my loss of my only child I'm so depressed... my hair is falling out now this.

I noticed the Dr I was now referred to who does MOHS his secretary was ready for MOHS papers sent in the mail before I asked for a CONSULT!

they make out big $$$ with this.

My sis a Dr said as I so was upset with just life this week "you will not die of this and your grieving so see this doc and ask for other opinions".

She helped me so much I lost so much of me already emotionally. And know many drs who are scalpel happy like the dr namless here whose a butcher (even on Yelp they call him that)... aka do not trust.

But something will be done. sorry to vent cannot sleep. All my best!

I always hadmoles off...it's a cinch and you can relax. Keep us posted ok?

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@happycat 

Yes...checked with derm and he said it need not be a concern. 

@mimi5775  

You Have me worried from your post.  You have every right to be depressed after what you have been through. I cannot even imagine this. I want you to know that you are loved and thought of.

C7B751D1-A006-4BBD-92DC-5F7A0E177431.jpegPlease find me on the boards here, either in the “Among Friends” forum (“the Winter Tea Room” thread) or the “Beauty” forum (“60’s Ladies Come and Chat) for I usually post here each day, if I can.

Please let me know how you are doing.❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

And that's why people should get checked every year.  New moles can surface throughout your lifetime.  Moles you've had before can change very quickly or not at all.  Genetics play a BIG part.  Some think it's only about fair skinned people who are prone to sunburns, etc.  NOT true.  I caught a melanoma EARLY last year and even though I needed surgery, all was good.  I am blond, blue eyed, etc., so I asked doctor about that.  I told him I know six people who had melanoma and all were of Italian or Spanish descent.  Very dark, olive skin that one would assume protects people from skin cancer.  NOT TRUE.  Skin cancer can occur in anyone. Please get this checked out.  It's probaly nothing, but you want to be on the safe side.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat  I have had the same darn thing. I ignored it as it was nothing and well circumscribed.

It was most likely there for a short while.

I'm glad you're seeing a derm about it.

I have weensy BCC on my mid nose, had it many years ago didn't do anything since my mom was going through CA treatments then I took in my dad then my son died and I just said wth and now I'm pushing myself to get back to decent health it's tough but doing it..I went to a diff derm who shaved it again for a biopsy and said it's BCC (I knew it being a nurse it was reappearing after 2n biop.) and just in general I knew but wore sun and sunblock, C serums good skincare even worked night's for ages! but it's back long story short it was a slight freckle mid nose when young (I'm light but cousins and a sister prone to skin things cousins who've had BCC squamous and even melanoma. I am scared of MOHS and postponed it back then also due to the whack job doc who is known as a "butcher" on yelp and 2 nurses i know said he was crazy. I knew this my mom at the time a nurse said do not go and now I have to get it done but I'm going to try alternative routes. I'm 62 now and will have disfigurement.... after so much in my life over the past year and years of caring fr everyone and my loss of my only child I'm so depressed... my hair is falling out now this.

I noticed the Dr I was now referred to who does MOHS his secretary was ready for MOHS papers sent in the mail before I asked for a CONSULT!

they make out big $$$ with this.

My sis a Dr said as I so was upset with just life this week "you will not die of this and your grieving so see this doc and ask for other opinions".

She helped me so much I lost so much of me already emotionally. And know many drs who are scalpel happy like the dr namless here whose a butcher (even on Yelp they call him that)... aka do not trust.

But something will be done. sorry to vent cannot sleep. All my best!

I always hadmoles off...it's a cinch and you can relax. Keep us posted ok?

@mimi5775 , I am so sorry for all you have had to deal with the last year, but especially the loss of your dear son. And what a wonderful daughter, to take in your father. You know a lot of us say we would move a parent in with us, if need be, but actually doing it is something else. Please, please do try to take care of yourself. I'm praying for you.

I have a tiny little growth, wart or something on my nose also. The derm has shaved it off too, probably twice now, it always comes back. I can't remember what she called it, but she did send it off and it wasn't cancerous, she said. It does concern me as to why it keeps coming back in the same spot. I'm thinking of seeing a different dermatologist.

I went to the dr today, because I thought I had the flu, but its just a virus, anyway, I had him look at he spot on my arm, he said he thought it was like a blood blister, it doesn't look like a blood blister to me. Anyhow, I will have a dermatologist look at it just to be sure.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I have red ones that are genetic that appeared as I became an adult. 

And then I had a brown one that actually appeared on top of a mole I already had.  It ended up being an age spot and the dermatologist was almost afraid to tell me that.  It looks like a regular brown mole to me.  

I told her she could call me old anytime she wanted to.  It was better than the alternative.  I hope your mole is just as benign.  

Honored Contributor

@happycat 

No I haven't. Had many develop over time, but never just out of the blue. Glad to see you are getting to your Dermatologist as soon as you can. Hope it turns out to be nothing that amounts to much. I've had several skin cancers removed in the last year, some required more of a procedure than others.

Best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

In the 6 years I’ve been retired, I’ve had more than a few suspicious spots pop up on my skin.   Most were actinic keratosis; 2 were early stage pre cancers.   One of the 2 pre cancer spots appeared the day before my derm appt, and the other appeared in the same week of my derm appt, so they were diagnosed and treated very quickly.   

Respected Contributor

If a new mole appeared seemingly overnight, I'd watch it for a month or so, then if it was still there, see my dermatologist ASAP.