Frequent Contributor

A Question For The Fitness/Gurus

...or anyone with opinions!  Looking for the best way to build stamina...recovering but cleared to exercise by Doctor......Senior citizen so HIT is not for me.....something more gentle?

TY

Honored Contributor

Re: A Question For The Fitness/Gurus

Walking especially if you are recovering.  You can vary by distance and or hills to make it more difficult.  That can really get you going on your way to even more cardio in the future.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BHawk wrote:

...or anyone with opinions!  Looking for the best way to build stamina...recovering but cleared to exercise by Doctor......Senior citizen so HIT is not for me.....something more gentle?

TY

@BHawk

Not sure what HIT is.    

I've read that a good practice for seniors is mall walking.   Temperature controlled, security guards, no broken sidewalks and there are benches for sitting if you need to rest.   Clean restrooms nearby.

Walking laps in summer or winter is a lot safer, plus there's the added benefit of people watching!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

HIT= High Intensity Training

HIIT= High Intensity Interval Training 

(this is what my gym has been incorporating into their group exercise classes)

Contributor

i enjoy the Leslie Sansone tapes.  You do them as fast as you want and as long as you want.  I have quite a few of them.  

Trusted Contributor

I second walking and mall walking.

And add Mirabai Holland's DVDs.  She is a fitness pro and totally understands the human body. Her workouts are gentle but effective. I love her!  They have beautiful scenery and nicei music, too.

Frequent Contributor

Thank You, everyone!  Knew the ladies here would respond!  Walking it is....I live in a small town - no malls!  We do have several walking tracks which I will use when the weather improves...been very hot here in Georgia all Spring and Summer.  Meanwhile, I will investigate Leslie and Ms. Holland and also will be investing in a treadmill...I can watch Q and walk  Smiley Happy

TY, everyone again

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's difficult to suggest not knowing what you are recovering from, your previous fitness level, experience, etc.  Your doctor should have been the one to recommend specific exercises based on the above.

From the little we know, I'd suggest walking, stationary bike, and perhaps 3 lb. weights to work your upper body and do slight squats with.  This type of cross-training is ultimately what you should aim for rather than walking exclusively.

Frequent Contributor

It was pneumonia .... thankfully a light case.  For 70 y/o was not in bad shape ...walked, pilates but it is very easy to lose stamina as you get older .... had a couple of months of little activity.

Respected Contributor

@BHawk wrote:

Thank You, everyone!  Knew the ladies here would respond!  Walking it is....I live in a small town - no malls!  We do have several walking tracks which I will use when the weather improves...been very hot here in Georgia all Spring and Summer.  Meanwhile, I will investigate Leslie and Ms. Holland and also will be investing in a treadmill...I can watch Q and walk  Smiley Happy

TY, everyone again

Hi BHawk,

Just a suggestion, if you are at a sporting goods store looking at treadmills, please look at the elliptical machines! They are incredibly gentle- no impact at all - and you can vary your pace, etc. You also engage your upper body and arms- if you want. The treadmill often left my lower back tight as you are hitting the floor of the tread mill which has no give. Good luck!