Esteemed Contributor

A Question About Making Dr. Appointments

Before I bang my head on a wall please give your opinion on the following: DH had a colostomy in fall of 2015 due to cancer diagnosis.  In Oct. of 2016 he had a colonoscopy to make sure all was good.  Dr. (his surgeon)  was happy and said we'll see you in 3 yrs. for another colonoscopy. Now he's due in Oct. of this year and I said we'll have to call for an appointment.  DH says they will contact us.  I have never had a Dr. call me every year and say it's time for a check-up. This dr. works at a huge hospital with who knows how many patients. I'm sure his office doesn't have the time to track and call hundreds of patients and remember they need this or that.  Make it ourselves or wait for them as  DH thinks? 

Respected Contributor

Re: A Question About Making Dr. Appointments

@CrazyKittyLvr2   you are absolutely the correct one here. 

there is no way that i would trust them to stay on top of this.   I'm sure that dh is just hoping to drag his feet a little, and delay the dreaded colonoscopy.  

i would make the appointment ASAP

Esteemed Contributor

Please call. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ,  some of my docs send me a letter telling me it's time to schedule (whatever it is), some do not.

Since you don't know for sure what this doc will do, I wpuld call and make the appt. There's no downside to doing so.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo   Thank you.  He really likes this Dr. and he has no problem going to his onocologist.  He just thinks they will magically call.

A few years ago he ordered 2 new windows for LR. Did it in Sept. so they could be done before winter.  At he end of Oct. I mentioned calling them. He said they will call when they come in. Okey Dokey. They called in Feb. and asked if we still wanted the windows,they had been there since the beginning of Nov.  But hey, what do I know???

Honored Contributor

It is your husbands responsibility to keep up with testing and rechecks.   I have never had a reminder from my physician about my colonoscopies; only get reminders for my eye exams.

Respected Contributor

I would be proactive and make the call.  When you make the appointment ask them if they call to remind patients.  I would not put my health in the hands of some office clerk that doesn't have any interest in your situation.  Maybe they have a lot of turnover in the staff and it slipes through some crack (so to speakSmiley Wink).

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop   Yes, he is a grown man, but seriously, his memory is so bad anymore I don't trust him to remember.

He will insist he didn't see an episode of a TV show when we watched it together 2 weeks earlier.

Honored Contributor

I have a dentist and two doctors that I see regularly .... I get email notices, phone calls, and text messages reminding me of appts.

These days everything is automated.  Not such a big deal for doctors to send out reminders.  

Respected Contributor

You have to be your advocate.  Make the call and appointment.