Honored Contributor

Re: A Little Word On Colonoscopies

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

For a while, some doctors were requiring a Covid test prior to the colonoscopy which made me not get it. Anybody have to get one before their procedure?

@Mmsfoxxie 

That wouldn't concern me in the least since everyone gains from the results.  It isn't just about me, but everyone I am around.

Valued Contributor

I have had many colonoscopies. Since I tend to evacuate my digestive process quickly on a normal day, I have found that when I am doing the prep and it starts to run out of me clear, then I stop the prep solution. I continue to drink water and it continues to run out of me. I have found that if I use too much prep beyond running clear out of me, I become shaky and weak and fainting like and sit on the toilet all night. The prep solution tends to kind of burn inside a little bit but colon cancer runs in my family so I do it! Eating lightly the day or two beforehand is good. If one does not have regular bowel movements, one may have more fecal matter than others and thus take longer. One can also have "longer" or more intestines and thus it can take more of the prep solution. Every body is different. But I've known others to take double the time it takes me with the same prep to run clear out of one's body. The prep solutions are to cleanse the intestines so every tissue is identifyable. A person could just use laxatives and still not be as "clean" as the prep is supposedly doing. The prep solution is aimed at also "cleaning" the bowels. Or so my doctor told me. A not careful doctor can miss cancers in the intestine due to folds or fecal matter left behind. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Growing wrote:

I have had many colonoscopies. Since I tend to evacuate my digestive process quickly on a normal day, I have found that when I am doing the prep and it starts to run out of me clear, then I stop the prep solution. I continue to drink water and it continues to run out of me. I have found that if I use too much prep beyond running clear out of me, I become shaky and weak and fainting like and sit on the toilet all night. The prep solution tends to kind of burn inside a little bit but colon cancer runs in my family so I do it! Eating lightly the day or two beforehand is good. If one does not have regular bowel movements, one may have more fecal matter than others and thus take longer. One can also have "longer" or more intestines and thus it can take more of the prep solution. Every body is different. But I've known others to take double the time it takes me with the same prep to run clear out of one's body. The prep solutions are to cleanse the intestines so every tissue is identifyable. A person could just use laxatives and still not be as "clean" as the prep is supposedly doing. The prep solution is aimed at also "cleaning" the bowels. Or so my doctor told me. A not careful doctor can miss cancers in the intestine due to folds or fecal matter left behind. 

@Growing 

I have had 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies, and I am trying to make sense of what you are saying here.

Stop the prep/drink water /run clear/drink less prep and so on. Shakey/weak/fainting, and sitting on the toilet all night? Prep solution "tends to kinda burn inside"?

My Gastro Doctors had no idea how long my colon was until they got to the end of it, and no lay person would know. When doctors say to "drink a gallon", mine have never said "drink less, because everyone is different". Nor have they given 2 gallons of Go/Nulytely because of my longer colon.

"A not careful doctor can miss cancers in the intestine"? No, any Competent Gastro Doctor, if the colon is blocked? Will not continue with the procedure, and tell you why. Then schedule you for another Colonoscopy or, in my case, another Double Balloon Enteroscopy.

This is the strangest post on a Colonoscopy I have seen on this forum, ever, over my many years posting in this Wellness Forum.

I have had the number of procedures I mentioned above, and if it is confusing to me? Someone having their 1st one and reads this!  🤔

hckynut 🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Growing wrote:

@Growing 

I have had 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies, and I am trying to make sense of what you are saying here.

Stop the prep/drink water /run clear/drink less prep and so on. Shakey/weak/fainting, and sitting on the toilet all night? Prep solution "tends to kinda burn inside"?

My Gastro Doctors had no idea how long my colon was until they got to the end of it, and no lay person would know. When doctors say to "drink a gallon", mine have never said "drink less, because everyone is different". Nor have they given 2 gallons of Go/Nulytely because of my longer colon.

"A not careful doctor can miss cancers in the intestine"? No, any Competent Gastro Doctor, if the colon is blocked? Will not continue with the procedure, and tell you why. Then schedule you for another Colonoscopy or, in my case, another Double Balloon Enteroscopy.

This is the strangest post on a Colonoscopy I have seen on this forum, ever, over my many years posting in this Wellness Forum.

I have had the number of procedures I mentioned above, and if it is confusing to me? Someone having their 1st one and reads this!  🤔

hckynut 🥅🏒 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn  you are so right about the Dr stopping the procedure if the Colon is blocked. I know of one person that happened to because she didn't follow procedure and thought she didn't need to drink all the prep.

Guess what? she had to do it all over again and this time she drank everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 

Well! It happened to me twice, both times I was a  In-Patient. One was for a Colonoscopy, the other for a Double Balloon Enteroscopy. The nurses kept the gallon in the fridge, so they knew how much Go/Nulytely I consumed.

I food intake had been nothing but apple juice and orange jello many days prior to both procedures. It was 2 different hospitals, because my 2nd home hospital, did not have the Double Balloon Equipment. 

Why? I have no idea because there was hardly a drop left in the gallon, either time. So it was repeat 2 days later, both times. Had this not happened, each number of my above listed procedures, would be 1 less. Total of 18 gallons instead of 20. And the Double Balloon Procedure?  Not minutes, hours!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Thanks, @RedTop. I had heard that most did last year.  I had hoped that had changed.  I dread the thought.   Yep, I'm a baby, lol.

Did my colonoscopy in Nov. 2021 and no mention of doing the test prior to my procedure, at least in my city.  My DDIL had one in July 2020 in a city just over and her facility required the covid test.  I guess it depends.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@ECBG My prep was Miralax mixed with Gatorade.  I had no issues with drinking that at all.  I was so worked up about the prep which really wasn't bad at all. 

Good luck with your procedure.

@Lipstickdiva   Mine, too.  Did it a few weeks ago.  Now just have a new intense dislike for orange Gatorade!!  Never heard of Suprep.  I bailed on a different doc's preferred potion, Plenvu.  A friend of mine did the Plenvu, said it was bad but not the end of the world.  I canceled my appointment and went back to my original doc with the Miralax/Gatorade.  Did you use the orange or lemon-lime or some other flavor?

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I had my first one this past November the 4th and I had a UTI at the same time as my prep day.  No antibiotics yet still waiting on urine test.  So you can imagine how fun my day was. 

I did over prepare for the prep day.  I like salt so it was like drinking a margarita as far as that goes.  But it was just so much to get down.  I did the timing of it all my way and not by the instructions. 

Got home from work at 12:30 p.m. immediately started drinking the stuff instead of waiting until 5:00 p.m. to start.  It did take 2 hours.  I started the next prep at 10:30 p.m. and finished at 12:30 a.m. then went to sleep.  Of course I was up a few times.  But I was glad I started early since my ride was coming at 7:00 a.m. and my last trip to the bathroom was at 6:45. 

If I had waited until 2:00 a.m. to begin second round I would not have been in her car without a pair of diapers.  Good luck and dream of cheeseburgers.  We went straight to Whataburger.

I have to do another one in three years since he found four polyps.  UGGGGGGGGGGG

@beckyb1012  Good morning!  I just had my second.  First one three years ago, found 3 benign polyps, thus my recent procedure.  Found 4 benign ones this time.  Thought was crazy since only done 3 years ago but will continue to have them done without a fuss.  Reading up on this forum - there's a lot of good advice and suggestions.  VERY important to get this done.  Glad you and others are careful.  :-)

Contributor

I had mine 9 years ago. Probably the 5th one. I used Miralax and ducolax. I got up around 1:00am. I passed out 3 times. Twice in the bathroom and once on the carpet in my hallway. I cut my chin on something. After the colonoscopy I had to go to a plastic surgeon to get sutures. No one in the hospital even checked it out. When the doctor came in he was fuming that the nurses hadn't given me IV fluids. Even after all that liquid I was dehydrated. I'll probably do cologuard next time. No history of colon cancer or other types in family. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy mouse wrote:

I had mine 9 years ago. Probably the 5th one. I used Miralax and ducolax. I got up around 1:00am. I passed out 3 times. Twice in the bathroom and once on the carpet in my hallway. I cut my chin on something. After the colonoscopy I had to go to a plastic surgeon to get sutures. No one in the hospital even checked it out. When the doctor came in he was fuming that the nurses hadn't given me IV fluids. Even after all that liquid I was dehydrated. I'll probably do cologuard next time. No history of colon cancer or other types in family. 

@missy mouse 

Passed out 3 times, and didn't think something was wrong after the 2nd time? Do you have some underlying condition you didn't mention in this post? What was your thoughts after the 1st time you  Passed Out? 

Don't make sense to me unless you were already completely dehydrated. Healthy people don't just "pass out", especially multiple times.

A Plastic Surgeon for sutures? That seems pretty strange to me. Did you just let it bleed until you got in to see this Cosmetic Surgeon?

Got a lot of questions about your post, most of which leaves me with many more questions. Will look forward to your answers.

hckynut 🥅🏒  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)