Super Contributor

8Greens Effervescent Drink Tablets Why are they bad for people on Blood Thinners?

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Re: 8Greens Effervescent Drink Tablets Why are they bad for people on Blood Thinners?

Leafy green veggies contain lots of Vitakin K, which is a natural acting blood clotter. 

Respected Contributor

Re: 8Greens Effervescent Drink Tablets Why are they bad for people on Blood Thinners?

Vitamin K is an essential part of the body's clotting process. Too much vitamin K in your diet can lower the effect of COUMADIN. Avoid eating large amounts of leafy green vegetables, as many of them contain large amounts of vitamin K.

Super Contributor

Thank you I try not to eat too much Spinach or Kale but one of my favorites and grapefrut too avoid grapefruit I drink sparkling water grapefruit or s/f drink mix with orrange in it.I heard Andrew Lessman had Calcium tablets and muset include vitamin K I have some didn't try them yet I still like like ths but will stick with V-8 Low sodium. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are asking for general understanding, you have your answers.

But, in the name of all that is holy, if you are a blood thinner contact your Anticog clinic or doctor at once.

Also be aware that vit k is not required to be on the label.  An answer will not be found at the grocery.  If you think V8 is safe, think again.  There are several wonderful sites that can help with your diet.

Honored Contributor

I'm on coumadin or warfarin, same thing.  My cardiologist is a health nut, and his recommendation, no, command, is to eat plenty of greens.  The "secret" is to eat them consistently and they will adjust your dose accordingly.  I do my own finger sticks about once every two weeks, report to CA and they notify the doctor's office.  They then tell me if my dosage needs adjusting, but I pretty much know what they are going to say anyway.