Honored Contributor

I would like to add that while walking is admirable - it exercises the exact same muscle groups every day, and perhaps you should think of getting into a yoga class or a zumba class or aerobics a few times a week to exercise different muscle groups.

Where I live they have yoga on the beach every morning for free and a lot of ladies really enjoy it. I hear the dolphins come by most days and watch - doing their own dolphin antics as the ladies stretch.

Honored Contributor

Re: 60 plus and exercise

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle  Did you have anterior or Posterior method of surgery done on your hips?

Just curious as I  had  the anterior method done and was up and walking without even a cane in just a couple of days! Very small incision on the front of your thigh area...  not the huge scar in the back area you have with posterior method.  I had barely any pain with my hips....   It is the knees that are so hard to come back with...  several months of pain until things really start to heal.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I would like to add that while walking is admirable - it exercises the exact same muscle groups every day, and perhaps you should think of getting into a yoga class or a zumba class or aerobics a few times a week to exercise different muscle groups.

Where I live they have yoga on the beach every morning for free and a lot of ladies really enjoy it. I hear the dolphins come by most days and watch - doing their own dolphin antics as the ladies stretch.

@151949  you are absolutly right about this.  Thanks for reminding me to step it up some!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949  you are absolutly right about this.  Thanks for reminding me to step it up some!

Besides , I think classes are a lot more fun, you meet new people and they are certainly far from boring. My core swimming group goes out to lunch once a month at a nearby restaurant on the beach. We all get a hamburger and talk about how decadent we feel eating a hamburger.

Honored Contributor

Re: 60 plus and exercise

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

@SeaMaiden bless you on all the replacement surgery. I know how hard the hips are at least. I had both done in the past 8 months. I found that going th PT 3x/week has done magical things for weight loss. I am almost back to the weight I want to be. I need to keep this up after my therapy time is over. I'm finally walking without a cane, but the latest one I had done in May is still pretty stiff and sore. I'll get there. Keep up the good work!

@BriggsiePeawiggle

Everyone that has any type of major surgery, be it repair or replacement, needs to remember this. Physical Therapy is not just for recovery. What helps recovery is also necessary to remain strong/stable and flexible the rest of their days.

Way too many forget that "because the pain is gone or lessened, it does not mean all will remain that way without continuous reinforcement(exercises)". Each person should never forget this aspect of any major procedure.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Because of living in a retirement community in Florida I know many people who have had orthopedic surgery. I would estimate the split is 50/50 between those who are successful and those who aren't and the overwhelming difference is how much effort the patient is willing to put into their recovery. Same with people who have things like heart attacks or COPD or diabetes. You can CHOOSE to participate in your own health or do nothing and watch your life and your happiness disappear.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden I had anterior also, but because I had a lifetime of hip dysplasia and had gotten extremely disabled before surgery it took me a long time to rehab and rebuild muscle. I'm doing it though!!  And I'm never going to stop.

Respected Contributor

This is what I am loving about this thread, everyone here is out there doing something amidst all types of replacements and/or medical issues that just happen with aging.

AND more importantly, it's not a pity party! Just moving makes such a difference in attitude, well-being and general health.

KUDOS!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

My Mom and Dad are in their 70s (#BLESSED) and they are both active.

My Mom walks in the neighborhood, goes to the gym for cardio and weights, and does line dancing.

My Dad walks in the neighborhood, plays golf and does archery.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.