Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,472
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

@Goodie2shoes   What  was in this expensive cough syrup? Just curious.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 631
Registered: ‎04-30-2012

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

@SeaMaiden  wrote: What was in this expensive cough syrup? Just curious.

Codeine and maybe that was the reason for the high cost.  I don't know. Someone mentioned on this post that Codeine is in over the counter meds in Canada.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,472
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !


@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@SeaMaiden  wrote: What was in this expensive cough syrup? Just curious.

Codeine and maybe that was the reason for the high cost.  I don't know. Someone mentioned on this post that Codeine is in over the counter meds in Canada.


@Goodie2shoes When I was a little girl my parents used Chericolvintage-cheracol-cough-syrup-oz_1_b7f18fd37b602033aa979f436c3160d1.jpg cough syrup that I believe was over the counter( if I am wrong about that please correct me) that contained Codeine. It had a great cherry flavor and was very sweet.   Best part of being sick as a kid!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,914
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !


@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@SeaMaiden  wrote: What was in this expensive cough syrup? Just curious.

Codeine and maybe that was the reason for the high cost.  I don't know. Someone mentioned on this post that Codeine is in over the counter meds in Canada.


@Goodie2shoes When I was a little girl my parents used Chericolvintage-cheracol-cough-syrup-oz_1_b7f18fd37b602033aa979f436c3160d1.jpg cough syrup that I believe was over the counter( if I am wrong about that please correct me) that contained Codeine. It had a great cherry flavor and was very sweet.   Best part of being sick as a kid!


Yes, many years ago codeine was a common ingredient in cough syrups.  But, then, they discovered it's addictive qualities and it was removed from the store shelves.  I think it might have been one of the first opiates.  For awhile it was still common to get with a prescription, but I guess the bad name of being an opiate means the insurance companies want to stay away from it.  Makes a great cough syrup though.  I never felt any need to take it once my cough was under control.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,103
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

@Goodie2shoes 

 

Dollar to Donuts that cough syrup had codeine in it and your insurance company has decided to hop onto the national attempt to ban most controlled substances, due to drug addition on the street, brought about by manufacturing and smuggling from other countries.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 631
Registered: ‎04-30-2012

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

@sfnative  wrote:

Dollar to Donuts that cough syrup had codeine in it and your insurance company has decided to hop onto the national attempt to ban most controlled substances, due to drug addition on the street, brought about by manufacturing and smuggling from other countries.

 
I found out from the pharmacy that the cough syrup does have Codeine in it. Good call  and I agree with your take on the insurance company. 
Valued Contributor
Posts: 967
Registered: ‎03-19-2016

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

I had a cough and Laryngitis about 20 years ago.

My Father in law grave me some cough medicine that he made each year. It was black and I had to drink a juice glass full. 

The next morning he asked how I felt and I told him “that medicine tasted terrible”!

He replied “But you are talking aren’t you?

It was made from: Whiskey, rock candy, honey, and something called Pinex that tasted like a railroad track smells. (I don’t think it’s available now, bit it worked),

Sometimes I still try the Whiskey.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 144
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

[ Edited ]

Shaggy girl, Had to get the same eardrops at that price, actually I think mine were $223.00, in Jan. Just like you I paid to get them, needed them because the pain was so bad from the ear infection, so I had to have them. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,183
Registered: ‎11-24-2011

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !


@susielong wrote:

Shaggy girl, Had to get the same eardrops at that price, actually I think mine were $223.00, in Jan. Just like you I paid to get them, needed them because the pain was so bad from the ear infection, so I had to have them. 


@susielong 

 

Thank goodness they work though! It would have been a reall bummer if they hadn't after spending that much. When I got home from CVS I actually called the Dr's office and talked to the lady at the desk and told her to pass that info on to the APRN that saw me earlier and prescribed them just so if she needed to prescribe them for anyone else she might want to let the patient know what the cost is if their insurance doesn't cover it and if they can't afford it maybe try something else first.

 

The young guy who waited on me at CVS did a little research and found a $30 off coupon (I THINK that was the amount, not 100% sure, might have been more) for them, I think it was from the manufacturer but not sure about that but whoever it was from he couldn't let me use it because if you were involved in any kind of government program you couldn't. I have a medicare advantage insurance plan so that ruled me out.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,573
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

I second the advice to try Mucinex.  A few years back I had a head cold.  About a week after my symptoms were gone from that, I got a dry cough.  I went through 4 entire bottles of different cough syrups OTC and nothing worked.  I went to my doctor and he gave me a script for those cough pearls. They did nothing.

 

I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist recommended Mucinex DM pills.  They are huge but they worked like a charm.  My cough was gone in I think 2 days.